• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

McKewons Article, will another analyst be enough?

So in all the dialogue about the Special Teams' woes I've been looking for someone to quote something I remember Coach Osborne saying: "We spend a 1/3rd of our practices on special teams since it's a third of the game."

You know it's possible this call is why the guy got fired. Even if he for sure had run it by Frost, Frost might easily have been dubious but not had time to change it or might have wanted to give his employee some autonomy. Until he decided to replace him.

Becoming more and more odd to me how people treat football as rocket science. "Here's a good rule of thumb: Sometimes too clever is dumb."

The Husker special teams are a laughingstock. They gave up multipe fake punt conversions from deep in opponent territory just this last season. That's unforgivable in and of itself. Then you add in the other layers of imcompetence and it's a disgrace. No . . . bringing in a new analyst isn't going to do the trick.

Last edited:
I refuse to believe that Kade Warner should be on the kickoff team and that we don't have another defensive player that is trained to get off blocks? I think Liewer was also on the kickoff team? Both are receivers trained to run routes, catch the ball and block. These skills do not translate to defense. The kickoff team should be all defensive players and I don't want to hear that this is an away game with a limited roster. If you put an OLB or safety in for those two, it probably doesn't happen like it did.

I think by how I take it the plan was a touchback from a sky high kick which did not happen and then a block in the back which resulted in no tackle and everyone else could not get off their blocks.

Why not just kick away from Cruickshanks and let the ball hit the turf if need be
Agreed on most of it. The thing that bothers me is there are a dozen kids in Nebraska that can kick the ball through the endzone (just like what Iowa gets).

I always questioned who made the decision. An analyst couldn’t make that call during the game. Frost was his normal clueless self. So who even made the decision?
I have it broken down for certain games, but you can see that we kicked to people early and then when it unravels we just kick pooch fair catches or punt it out of bounds. Our default play call on special teams basically lost us 5-10 yards of field position.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back