• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked McKewon: How Nebraska won out---perhaps Bo Pelini's finest coaching performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
???????????

If they meet in the Rose, it will be the third straight BCS bowl for the Stanford players. A substantially larger stage than the "I don't remember the name or location of the bowls" that are all that the current NU players have experienced. Personally, I don't think that would be a factor at all in the Rose, but if you want to continue to make it a factor, then the advantage clearly goes to the Stanford side.

A game is a game is a game, whether it's in Florida, California, Arizona, or whatever. The preparation doesn't change, and the mindset should always be geared towards doing whatever it takes to win.

If Nebraska gets to the Rose Bowl, I'm actually a little disappointed that the game will be against UCLA or Stanford. I was hoping for a shot at one of the nation's elite.

Guess we will find out with Stanford on 1 January....

I don't buy into the "more sophisticated" analyses of Sagarin, A&H, Colley, etc. any more than a simple SOS analysis. GIGO, as they say, and it's evident from the computer rankings that they include a lot of "garbage in." I think if the formulae that are used in the computer rankings were exposed to public review, many erroneous assumptions would come to light.

Obviously, the players don't have any control over the SOS. All they can control is how well they prepare & how hard they play.

A game is a game is a game, whether it's in Florida, California, Arizona, or whatever. The preparation doesn't change, and the mindset should always be geared towards doing whatever it takes to win.

If Nebraska gets to the Rose Bowl, I'm actually a little disappointed that the game will be against UCLA or Stanford. I was hoping for a shot at one of the nation's elite.

Stanford is absolutely elite

I've always been a big fan of Sam and this is one of his best article's....Sam pretty much nails why this is perhaps Bo's best coaching job ever....:nod:

I know a couple of folks may not like what Sam is saying....but it is what it is....:nod: :)

Much much more of a great article by Sam well worth the click on the link to read....:)

http://www.neprepzone.com/article/20121125/HUSKERS/711259863

Sam has a right to his opinion, as does everyone else. :nod: :)

FYI, that ranking of SOS is based solely on opponent's winning percentage. That's why in this simplistic analysis Eastern Michigan of the MAC is said to have a stronger SOS than Oregon and USC of the Pac 12, Iowa State of the Big 12, Tennessee of the SEC and many others who obviously have played harder schedules. It shows North Texas of the Sun Belt as having played a tougher SOS than teams from all of the six BCS conferences.

SOS involves much more than just oppenent's winning percentage. It depends on who those opponent's have played to get that winning percentage, for example. The much more sophisticated analyses used in the BCS rankings have NU's SOS ranked 36th (Sagarin), 31st (Anderson and Hester), 30th (Colley Matrix) and 30th (Peter Wolfe) (note the other two BCS computer rankings don't list SOS on their websites).

Oh yea, well :stickouttongue: ( I was actually looking for one that sticks out the tongue and slobber comes off, not one with a smiley face, but you get the point)

Stanford is absolutely elite

Stanford's good, but they have two losses (as Red Reign mentioned). Back when there were more undefeated teams, there was some talk of getting an undefeated Oregon or Notre Dame. Now it appears as though the best we'll get is the highest ranked 2-loss team. Don't get me wrong - I'll still be excited. Just a bit of a letdown from some of the earlier possible scenarios.

Oh. As Gilda Radner used to say on Saturday Night Live: "Nevermind" ;)

But don't worry, I've got somthing to say about slobberknockers, too. :)

With regard to slobberknockers, with Stanford's SOS being between #3 and #5 per the computer rankings, versus NU's #30-36, I would guess that Stanford knows its way around slobberknockers.

For example and for perspective of NU's slobberknocker defense giving up "only" 3.4 yards per carry in the fourth quarters of its last six games, as cited in the sportswriter's article:

1. Of those six games, only two were against teams currently ranked in the BCS: #19 Michigan and #22 Northwestern.

2. Stanford's defense has given up only 0.89 yards per carry (!!!) in the fourth quarters of its entire season, which includes games against Oregon, Notre Dame, Oregon State, and UCLA, all currently ranked in the Top 16 of the BCS, including the #1 and #5 ranked teams, Notre Dame and Oregon, who have been known to be at least moderately adept at running the football. :eek:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/stanford-cardinal

Peace out. Time to get some work done.

I think slobberknocker describes not the ranking of the teams so much as the style of play. Having watched all the Nebraska games, and many of the games (though admittedly not always the complete games) played by Stanford, ND, Oregon State, UCLA, and Oregon, Nebraska has played more slobberknockers, IMHO.

PSU, OSU, MSU, Michigan, Wisky are very physical teams. Even spirited Iowa rose up for the occasion.

Oregon is not a slobberknocker team. They're a spread-finesse team, and get exposed usually when playing more physical and athletic teams, which Stanford is compared to Oregon. Oregon State is physical on defense, not so much on offense. UCLA and ND mix in physical at times, but it's not their persona, IMO.

Admittedly, I'm not sure there are some objective statistics to back this up, as this is more of what one observes when watching the team play rather than careful, measured analysis. So, even though Stanford played very well against some of the top BCS teams, I'm not sure they do have more experience playing slobberknocker games.

None of this may matter anyway, as I think a Stanford/NU Rose Bowl game will be a tough matchup for Nebraska, but one that I think would make for a good game on New Years Day. I sure would rather play them than UCLA since we play them next season anyway.

But as to your stats, for what they're worth, Oregon, Oregon St., UCLA, and ND averaged 3.08 yds per carry combined in the 4th quarter against Stanford, which is much more than 0.73 yards per carry that Stanford gave up on average in the fourth quarter for the season. (This website I used actually states that Stanford's average yard per carry given up is lower than what's posted above.)

In fact, the average rush per carry during the 4th quarter of all the teams on Stanford's entire schedule ranks 60 out of 124 teams. Not great 4th quarter rushing teams, but not terrible either, pretty average overall. Some of those teams have an excellent 4th quarter average rush per carry such as Cal at 4 (who knew?) and Oregon at 25 but also San Jose St. at 119 and last place washington st. at 124 (no surprise from a mike leach coached team.) Stanford has the best 4th quarter average rush per carry defense, but it was against, on average, the 60th rush per carry offense during the 4th quarter, again for what this is worth.

And as for Notre Dame and Oregon, "who have been known to be at least moderately adept at running the football", they averaged 3.5 yds per carry combined against Stanford in the 4th quarter. Again, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Thie D is nasty....their O is average....and with the two losses thrown in it makes them very good....not elite...and yeah it would be a fun game....

Stanford's good, but they have two losses (as Red Reign mentioned). Back when there were more undefeated teams, there was some talk of getting an undefeated Oregon or Notre Dame. Now it appears as though the best we'll get is the highest ranked 2-loss team. Don't get me wrong - I'll still be excited. Just a bit of a letdown from some of the earlier possible scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back