• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked McKewon: How Nebraska won out---perhaps Bo Pelini's finest coaching performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said Rose Bowl....I said slobberknocker games....the Big 10 is much more physical as a league than the PAC 12....

Guess we will see....I love Stanfords D....top notch....O average.....I like our chances if we meet up....

???????????

If they meet in the Rose, it will be the third straight BCS bowl for the Stanford players. A substantially larger stage than the "I don't remember the name or location of the bowls" that are all that the current NU players know. Personally, I don't think that would be a factor at all in the Rose, but if you want to make it a factor, then the advantage clearly goes to the Stanford side.

I think he meant NU has been in more slobberknockers, not BCS bowl games.

Oh. As Gilda Radner used to say on Saturday Night Live: "Nevermind" ;)

But don't worry, I've got somthing to say about slobberknockers, too. :)

With regard to slobberknockers, with Stanford's SOS being between #3 and #5 per the computer rankings, versus NU's #30-36, I would guess that Stanford knows its way around slobberknockers.

For example and for perspective of NU's slobberknocker defense giving up "only" 3.4 yards per carry in the fourth quarters of its last six games, as cited in the sportswriter's article:

1. Of those six games, only two were against teams currently ranked in the BCS: #19 Michigan and #22 Northwestern.

2. Stanford's defense has given up only 0.89 yards per carry (!!!) in the fourth quarters of its entire season, which includes games against Oregon, Notre Dame, Oregon State, and UCLA, all currently ranked in the Top 16 of the BCS, including the #1 and #5 ranked teams, Notre Dame and Oregon, who have been known to be at least moderately adept at running the football. :eek:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/stanford-cardinal

Peace out. Time to get some work done.

Last edited:

Excellent article. McKewon writes some of the most insightful articles about the Huskers available.
Thanks for posting the link.

Excellent article. McKewon writes some of the most insightful articles about the Huskers available.
Thanks for posting the link.

I just reread his article from two years ago on the demise of the Big XII; it still is a great read. He has three more years to go on his prediction.

FYI, that ranking of SOS is based solely on opponent's winning percentage. That's why in this simplistic analysis Eastern Michigan of the MAC is said to have a stronger SOS than Oregon and USC of the Pac 12, Iowa State of the Big 12, Tennessee of the SEC and many others who obviously have played harder schedules. It shows North Texas of the Sun Belt as having played a tougher SOS than teams from all of the six BCS conferences.

SOS involves much more than just oppenent's winning percentage. It depends on who those opponent's have played to get that winning percentage, for example. The much more sophisticated analyses used in the BCS rankings have NU's SOS ranked 36th (Sagarin), 31st (Anderson and Hester), 30th (Colley Matrix) and 30th (Peter Wolfe) (note the other two BCS computer rankings don't list SOS on their websites).

I don't buy into the "more sophisticated" analyses of Sagarin, A&H, Colley, etc. any more than a simple SOS analysis. GIGO, as they say, and it's evident from the computer rankings that they include a lot of "garbage in." I think if the formulae that are used in the computer rankings were exposed to public review, many erroneous assumptions would come to light.

Obviously, the players don't have any control over the SOS. All they can control is how well they prepare & how hard they play.

I really enjoyed this article by Sam. I happen to think Bo is one hell of a coach and we are LUCKY to have him as our head coach. He's doing a great job with the players and you can tell the players bolieve too! You don't have this kind of season and this many comebacks, without great coaching and players believing in their coach and his system. It take a lot more than luck!

Now go beat Bucky!!!

Yup and lets go win this sucker...:)

I really enjoyed this article by Sam. I happen to think Bo is one hell of a coach and we are LUCKY to have him as our head coach. He's doing a great job with the players and you can tell the players bolieve too! You don't have this kind of season and this many comebacks, without great coaching and players believing in their coach and his system. It take a lot more than luck!

Now go beat Bucky!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back