• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked McKewon: Gap between Iowa, NU is growing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke with an Iowa fan who knows the program pretty well. He said that since they aren't going to a bowl game, they are treating their last few practices as opportunities to get reps for the younger, inexperienced guys, and that many of these guys will get some of their first PT on Friday (they also played a bunch of young guys against Michigan).

I spoke with an Iowa fan who knows the program pretty well. He said that since they aren't going to a bowl game, they are treating their last few practices as opportunities to get reps for the younger, inexperienced guys, and that many of these guys will get some of their first PT on Friday (they also played a bunch of young guys against Michigan).
That is interesting because I have had several conversations with Iowa fans on why they don't give their qb for next year more reps in games when Vanden Berg isn't doing so well. They would like to see the younger guys get more time as the older guys aren't getting it done anyway.

Oh boy. If that happens, it could get ugly real fast.

Being a Husker fan in an area dominated by Hawkeye fans, I am really looking forward to this match-up. The funny thing is all the Hawk fans that were telling me that they would get us this year are now telling me that we will beat them soundly this year. I had plans to go to the game with two buddies who are Hawk fans and one backed out this week because he said they are terrible and he can't stand it.
Personally, I think we will beat them soundly. Bo has said that the players know what is at hand. I think clinching the division will be motivation enough for us to play well in this game. Our defensive backs should be able to shut down their receivers. To me Vanden Berg looks like he struggles to throw the deeper balls this year. Weisman is a beast, but a straight on guy. Our front seven should be able to shut him down. Defensively, I think that they will not match up well against us. We just have too much speed for them.
Overall, I am disappointed that this match up couldn't be closer. I was really looking forward to this being a great match up for years to come, but now I am not sure where they will be in the next years. All I hear from Hawk fans is that there is no big city for them to recruit talent from and that Iowa is too far away from big recruiting grounds to pull talent. I always say NU is no different and yet they do it.

This post is spot on.

Hawkeye fans have given up on their team. I have had several actually apologize for this game, and their team.

Overall, I am disappointed that this match up couldn't be closer. I was really looking forward to this being a great match up for years to come, but now I am not sure where they will be in the next years. All I hear from Hawk fans is that there is no big city for them to recruit talent from and that Iowa is too far away from big recruiting grounds to pull talent. I always say NU is no different and yet they do it.

Big City ??? Most of the top Football powerhouses are not in or near "Big cities".

Iowa City is 4 hours from Chicago, St.Louis, and Minneapolis.

Oklahoma, Alabama, even Oregon has less population in their immediate geographical 300 mile radius.

Some of the gulf between the two programs — which were inches apart in 2009 — boils down to talent; Ferentz doesn't have the same caliber of athletes that he did three years ago. But the Hawkeyes' level of innovation — on both sides of the ball — is a step behind the Huskers. So is the level of moxie.

Agree with McKewon here:

-- if you look at NFL rosters from 3-7 years ago, Iowa had almost as many NFL draft picks as the Huskers did

Big City ??? Most of the top Football powerhouses are not in or near "Big cities".

Iowa City is 4 hours from Chicago, St.Louis, and Minneapolis.

Oklahoma, Alabama, even Oregon has less population in their immediate geographical 300 mile radius.
I agree completely. I actually pointed out to them that they used to pull good talent from Texas all the time. They claim that the only reason that NU can pull big talent is their national titles and facilities. I always refute that with the fact that Iowa has tons of guys in the NFL and were known for developing O-linemen. IMHO Iowa fans tend to look for excuses and not solutions!

I love you my good friend...but I think it will be an easy win....Iowa is really bad....

If anyone thinks this game will be an easy win for the Husker, similar to the Minnesota game, then I will disagree completely. The Huskers have a propensity of shooting themselves in the foot and this game will make Iowa's season. Get up early and avoid turning the ball over. Iowa does well in the turnover margin and that can keep them in games when they lack the talent to do otherwise.

Most of the Iowa fans I have spoken with are fed up with this season. They have been calling for the back up QB for a while now and to get some young guys reps. Sounds like the back up Ruddock, i believe, isnt everything they thought he would be. So says my Iowa sources, ie the guys at the water cooler.

I have agrued that they need to change something with the coaching staff. They dont recruit the same athletes that Nebraska does and they use all sorts of lame excuses from payroll, to location, to bad luck. I just remind them that we are in the same boat and manage to not only get good recruits but develop the kids that walk on.

One fan told me, "if we could win just one game a year I would want it to be Nebraska." I said, Hey that's what Colorado used to say and look where they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back