• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked McKewon: Gap between Iowa, NU is growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Sam pretty much nails it in this article today.....and why teh Huskers should roll on Friday....

The Hawkeyes' offensive identity remains fixed to a spot like its quarterback James Vandenberg, a smart kid who's lost confidence and the ability to make plays. Iowa puts its offensive hopes on Mark Weisman, a fifth-string big back with injury concerns and a downhill style that defenses will figure out.

The Hawkeyes' defense creates turnovers and puts up a fight for as long as its offense will allow. But it has consistently withered on the vine in the fourth quarter. A defensive line full of two-star talent is 116th in sacks and 105th in tackles for loss. The back seven is active and athletic — they're the best players on Iowa's team — but simply asked to do too much.

Some of the gulf between the two programs — which were inches apart in 2009 — boils down to talent; Ferentz doesn't have the same caliber of athletes that he did three years ago. But the Hawkeyes' level of innovation — on both sides of the ball — is a step behind the Huskers. So is the level of moxie.

As its 38-14 win against Minnesota again proved, there are few teams in the nation — and none in the Big Ten — that attack the perimeter of a defense better than Nebraska. Offensive coordinator Tim Beck's “stretch-and-puncture” philosophy first gasses the so-so defensive athletes of the Big Ten with toss plays, quick screens and wide sweeps. Then he pounds the interior gaps left behind by fear and overpursuit.

Much more of a really nice article here: http://www.omaha.com/article/20121118/HUSKERS/711189887/1002#mckewon-gap-between-iowa-nu-is-growing

Last edited:

Sam pretty much nails it in this article today.....and why teh Huskers should roll on Friday....

Much more of a really nice article here: http://www.omaha.com/article/20121118/HUSKERS/711189887/1002#mckewon-gap-between-iowa-nu-is-growing
This was a good article. I like Sam. He's a straight shooter and pretty football savvy. I think he hits it on the head. NU will have to shoot itself in the leg to lose this weekend. It could be close for a while, but NU should pull away barring turnovers.

We would have to do more than shoot ourselves in the leg....and I don't think it will be close...this team is on a mission and Iowa is a really bad team...

This was a good article. I like Sam. He's a straight shooter and pretty football savvy. I think he hits it on the head. NU will have to shoot itself in the leg to lose this weekend. It could be close for a while, but NU should pull away barring turnovers.

If anyone thinks this game will be an easy win for the Husker, similar to the Minnesota game, then I will disagree completely. The Huskers have a propensity of shooting themselves in the foot and this game will make Iowa's season. Get up early and avoid turning the ball over. Iowa does well in the turnover margin and that can keep them in games when they lack the talent to do otherwise.

Being a Husker fan in an area dominated by Hawkeye fans, I am really looking forward to this match-up. The funny thing is all the Hawk fans that were telling me that they would get us this year are now telling me that we will beat them soundly this year. I had plans to go to the game with two buddies who are Hawk fans and one backed out this week because he said they are terrible and he can't stand it.
Personally, I think we will beat them soundly. Bo has said that the players know what is at hand. I think clinching the division will be motivation enough for us to play well in this game. Our defensive backs should be able to shut down their receivers. To me Vanden Berg looks like he struggles to throw the deeper balls this year. Weisman is a beast, but a straight on guy. Our front seven should be able to shut him down. Defensively, I think that they will not match up well against us. We just have too much speed for them.
Overall, I am disappointed that this match up couldn't be closer. I was really looking forward to this being a great match up for years to come, but now I am not sure where they will be in the next years. All I hear from Hawk fans is that there is no big city for them to recruit talent from and that Iowa is too far away from big recruiting grounds to pull talent. I always say NU is no different and yet they do it.

Nice write-up....are you still going to the game?

Being a Husker fan in an area dominated by Hawkeye fans, I am really looking forward to this match-up. The funny thing is all the Hawk fans that were telling me that they would get us this year are now telling me that we will beat them soundly this year. I had plans to go to the game with two buddies who are Hawk fans and one backed out this week because he said they are terrible and he can't stand it.
Personally, I think we will beat them soundly. Bo has said that the players know what is at hand. I think clinching the division will be motivation enough for us to play well in this game. Our defensive backs should be able to shut down their receivers. To me Vanden Berg looks like he struggles to throw the deeper balls this year. Weisman is a beast, but a straight on guy. Our front seven should be able to shut him down. Defensively, I think that they will not match up well against us. We just have too much speed for them.
Overall, I am disappointed that this match up couldn't be closer. I was really looking forward to this being a great match up for years to come, but now I am not sure where they will be in the next years. All I hear from Hawk fans is that there is no big city for them to recruit talent from and that Iowa is too far away from big recruiting grounds to pull talent. I always say NU is no different and yet they do it.

I think its because of erosion on the banks of the Missouri river. Nothing to be alarmed about.

RR, I wouldn't miss the game for the world! I had my ticket at the beginning of the season and can't wait to be there. Only live an hour and a half away! A buddy of mine is a season ticket holder, and I took him to the game last year. We are looking at making this a tradition.

Cool let us know what it was like...:) Oh and have fun...:)

Funny enough if the Huskers go to the Rose Bowl my daughter and I have will have gone to the last 3 bowl games here in CA....almost a tradition for us...:) :)

RR, I wouldn't miss the game for the world! I had my ticket at the beginning of the season and can't wait to be there. Only live an hour and a half away! A buddy of mine is a season ticket holder, and I took him to the game last year. We are looking at making this a tradition.

Last edited:

My best friend's wife bought him tickets to the last Rose Bowl we went to for their honeymoon. Unfortunately, for them and us, the outcome of that game wasn't so great. They did say the experience was amazing though!
I will be sure to post of my experience when I get back!

Look forward to reading it....and yeah the 2001 Rose Bowl was no fun.....great stadium though....but a lousy location....

My best friend's wife bought him tickets to the last Rose Bowl we went to for their honeymoon. Unfortunately, for them and us, the outcome of that game wasn't so great. They did say the experience was amazing though!
I will be sure to post of my experience when I get back!

I think its because of erosion on the banks of the Missouri river. Nothing to be alarmed about.

i have this picture in my mind of a house on the banks of the Missou. A bunch of Iowa recruits sitting on the roof of the house, heli camera zooms in on the house just as the bank gives way and all the recruits float down and get recruited by Arkansas....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back