• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB GAME #30 (3/3)(20-9)(10-8) Nebraska vs (15-13)(7-10) Rutgers @ SOLD OUT PBA (Senior day) 5:30 PM CT BTN GAME THREAD

Was there a Husker basketball game last night or just a Pi$$ing match

My fault.. instead of engaging the stupidity, I should have just asked.. Why is luck such a bad thing? Do those posters that took offense to the use of that word think this team is above needing luck once in a while? Even the best needs a little luck once in a while.

My fault.. instead of engaging the stupidity, I should have just asked.. Why is luck such a bad thing? Do those posters that took offense to the use of that word think this team is above needing luck once in a while? Even the best needs a little luck once in a while.

Everyone is just debated your claim that Nebraska was lucky to win. The majority of us don't think it was luck that won the game. Sure teams need luck from time to time. Luck is making a buzzer beater half court shot to win the game. Luck is having the other teams 2 best players sitting out because they are sick. Luck is getting out of bounds calls to go your way when they can't be reviewed.

Nebraska's defense, intensity, and rebounding won this game...not lucky at all.
Every decent coach I played for followed this line of thinking. You can't control your shooting percentage in most situations. WE've all had games that you simply shoot out of your mind. The ball leaves your hand, you know it's going in. When the ball isn't falling, you can potentially try to get some easier looks, or create a mismatch to take advantage of certain defenders, but some nights the shots look good, but just don't fall. You can control your rebounding. You can control your defense. You can control your intensity to some degree. That's not luck.

Every decent coach I played for followed this line of thinking. You can't control your shooting percentage in most situations. WE've all had games that you simply shoot out of your mind. The ball leaves your hand, you know it's going in. When the ball isn't falling, you can potentially try to get some easier looks, or create a mismatch to take advantage of certain defenders, but some nights the shots look good, but just don't fall. You can control your rebounding. You can control your defense. You can control your intensity to some degree. That's not luck.
Agree on all. I don't coach luck.

Everyone is just debated your claim that Nebraska was lucky to win. The majority of us don't think it was luck that won the game. Sure teams need luck from time to time. Luck is making a buzzer beater half court shot to win the game. Luck is having the other teams 2 best players sitting out because they are sick. Luck is getting out of bounds calls to go your way when they can't be reviewed.

not everyone.. You made a post and disagreed, we counter back and forth a little and that was it for the most part.. another poster claimed I had an axe to grind because I didn't give credit. I give the team and coaches credit every time I feel they deserve it. Making claims that someone has an agenda is not just debating.

Facts to back my claim..

NU did not score a field goal in the final 6 minutes.. lucky Rutger was shooting so badly or that 11 point lead would have been gone. how big of a lead did NU have the first time they played, yet lost?

NU had 14 turnovers.. luckily Rutgers couldn't take advantage because of their poor shooting

Luck is not a bad thing, it can be your friend, and it was for NU last night.

Last edited:

This post proves luck does and will always happen, because you are right.. nobody coaches luck, and if things happened the way every coach drew it up, well, nobody would win because they all coach to win. Luck just happens when the other team commits the least number of fouls or turnover or mistakes.

Luck IS a part of the game.. not all the time, but often

Last edited:

not everyone.. You made a post and disagreed, we counter back and forth a little and that was it for the most part.. another poster claimed I had an axe to grind because I didn't give credit. I give the team and coaches credit every time I feel they deserve it. Making claims that someone has an agenda is not just debating.

Facts to back my claim..

NU did not score a field goal in the final 6 minutes.. lucky Rutger was shooting so badly or that 11 point lead would have been gone.
It was only luck that caused Rutgers to shoot badly
NU had 14 turnovers.. luckily Rutgers couldn't take advantage because of their poor shooting
Was that luck, or good Nebraska defense?
Luck is not a bad thing, it can be your friend, and it was for NU last night.
Luck is not a bad thing. Luck is making a full court shot. Luck isn't a sustained effort throughout an entire game

This post proves luck does and will always happen, because you are right.. nobody coaches luck, and if things happened the way every coach drew it up, well, nobody would win because they all coach to win. Luck just happens when the other team commits the least number of fouls or turnover or mistakes.

Just not last night.

It was only luck that caused Rutgers to shoot badly

Was that luck, or good Nebraska defense?

Luck is not a bad thing. Luck is making a full court shot. Luck isn't a sustained effort throughout an entire game

Luck ( for NU) is having close, open shots, that don't fall. There were a number of those shots that didn't fall for Rutgers. Luck is having a Rutger player save the ball, yet throw it across the court to his own coach instead of one of his players.. probably mistook the coach who was standing up. There are other examples, but this is enough.

Last edited:

Getting through a season without injuries is luck. Winning a game when you don't shoot well is generally based on effort, because if I'm not shooting well, but I can keep the other guys from scoring, I can still win a game. I can shoot insanely well, but if I can't defend well enough to keep the other team from scoring, I can lose. There are moments in a game that are luck, but rarely will they determine an outcome. If we could measure plays in a game that are purely based on luck, I'd guess that would account for less than 2-3% of the possessions. The 97-98% are going to have far more to do with winning or losing.

I remember reading some posters commenting after a loss that, 'you can't beat a team that shoots that well from the field', and I do recall the on the ball defense in that game being pretty solid, so was it luck that kept us from winning? What about off the ball defense? What about better pressure on the passer? What about upping the pace or moving the ball on offense more to force the opponent to expend more energy on defense? All 3 of those things could have cooled that hot shooting, and none rely on luck.

Last edited:

Luck ( for NU) is having close, open shots, that don't fall. There were a number of those shots that didn't fall for Rutgers.
Nebraska didnt miss any open shots?
Luck is having a Rutger player save the ball, yet throw it across the court to his own coach instead of one of his players.. probably mistook the coach who was standing up.
did Nebraska defense force the situation where the Rutgers player had to scramble to save the ball from going out of bounds?
There are other examples, but this is enough.
Lol

Getting through a season without injuries is luck. Winning a game when you don't shoot well is generally based on effort, because if I'm not shooting well, but I can keep the other guys from scoring, I can still win a game. I can shoot insanely well, but if I can't defend well enough to keep the other team from scoring, I can lose. There are moments in a game that are luck, but rarely will they determine an outcome. If we could measure plays in a game that are purely based on luck, I'd guess that would account for less than 2-3% of the possessions. The 97-98% are going to have far more to do with winning or losing.

I remember reading some posters commenting after a loss that, 'you can't beat a team that shoots that well from the field', and I do recall the on the ball defense being pretty solid, so was it luck that kept us from winning? What about off the ball defense? What about better pressure on the passer? What about upping the pace or moving the ball on offense more to force the opponent to expend more energy on defense? All 3 of those things could have cooled that hot shooting, and none rely on luck.

Sure, don't disagree at all, but when that team has open shots, that are close to the bucket, yet still don't fall, there is luck involved.. That is what chance is, luck.

about the defense, luck and defense are not exclusive.. Defense can still be outstanding, yet still have luck to win. Like I mentioned above, defense doesn't come into play when you have uncontested shots around the hoop that don't fall, that normally do.

Last edited:

Being at the game last night the only LUCK I saw was the young man that made the 1/2 court shot during a second half time out to win free round trip airline tickets from the Lincoln Airport to Denver.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back