• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #19, (L, 65-64), SAT, 1/21 @ RUTGERS, 11:00 am CST, ESPNU

Nebraska played better in the second half but the first half is where they lost the game. Rutgers wasn't playing good in the 1st half, good teams shut the door right then and there, not play down to their level. Not only did we play down to their level, we played worse than their level.

Sanders is way too good to be playing at Rutgers.
While I agree that we missed an opportunity to build a first half lead, we were up by 7 half way through the 2nd and up by 5 with 1:29 left. This team has no killer instinct and is scared of losing instead of playing to win.

I think its easier for the Huskers in games where they aren't supposed to win because they just play.

Its frustrating.

Last edited:
Luckily the Huskers now have a stretch of games against the best of the BIG so we can start winning again.:confused:

While I agree that we missed an opportunity to build a first half lead, we were up by 7 half way through the 2nd and up by 5 with 1:29 left. This team has no killer instinct and is scared of losing instead of playing to win.

I think its easier for the Huskers in games where they aren't supposed to win because they just play.

Its frustrating.

Valid points indeed, well said ColoREDo. These last few losses have been head scratchers at the very least, hopefully the ship gets back on course as soon as possible.

I wasn't shocked by this. First, I've seen Rutgers play this year a couple of times, and while the record isn't good, they have some talent. Second, this is a really young team that got gut punched. They have rallied a few times this year when things went poorly, but this looked like an emotional hangover. And discounting Morrow's toughness and lunch pail work is silly. Much of our success was him doing the little things that make life easier for the others on the floor.

Be disappointed, but lighten up, this is a young, fun group, accept some bad nights will happen.

Indiana and Maryland games gave a false sense of quality.
No, they gave us two unexpected wins. No one should have thought we were going to all of a sudden be in the top of the conference for the whole season.

We are young and there are obvious areas for improvement. Not sure why we could close out close games against good teams and not against OSU and RU.

No excuses for today. We should have won and won big. Even in the last three minutes, we should have finished them out and won by double figures. That said, the factors (not excuses) I saw that really hurt included

• 0-17 from field to close 1st half
  • McVeigh not being able to handle several passes to him at the baseline
  • unforced turnovers
  • shooting too many 3s
  • foul trouble which caused defense to be less aggressive at times near the end
  • no true back up point guard
All of these things can be addressed. Coaches need to get back to work.

Inexcusable! The players need to get together (without the coaches) and decide how they are going to go forward from here. This is not coaching. This is gut check time for the players. The last two games are on them.
Coaching better be able to address the issues that cost us the game. Maybe it wasn't the in game coaching decisions today. But every aspect that I saw cost us the game is coachable and recruitable.

Pitiful. there is no excuse to lose to Rutgers. don't even bring up morrow...shouldn't matter
I agree the 8 players we play should have beat Rutgers. But not having Morrow does create a lot of problems overall. Including depth.

We aren't as good as the first two conference games and aren't as bad as the last two.
If it were a continuum though, I'd say we are closer to being the team of the last two games as the first two you mentioned.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back