• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #19, (L, 65-64), SAT, 1/21 @ RUTGERS, 11:00 am CST, ESPNU

I disagree.
I say that because I currently see depth as a problem and that probably won't change this season. I see mistakes that are fixable that might still be attributable to inexperience and i see a big drop off in talent compared to the top few conference teams after about 3-4 players.

No, they gave us two unexpected wins. No one should have thought we were going to all of a sudden be in the top of the conference for the whole season.

We are young and there are obvious areas for improvement. Not sure why we could close out close games against good teams and not against OSU and RU.

No excuses for today. We should have won and won big. Even in the last three minutes, we should have finished them out and won by double figures. That said, the factors (not excuses) I saw that really hurt included

• 0-17 from field to close 1st half
  • McVeigh not being able to handle several passes to him at the baseline
  • unforced turnovers
  • shooting too many 3s
  • foul trouble which caused defense to be less aggressive at times near the end
  • no true back up point guard
All of these things can be addressed. Coaches need to get back to work.
All true! Also, I think we are mentally weak .. as evidenced by a horrible turnover at the end of today's game a key deFender falling down at the end of the Ohio State game. Losses to Gardner Webb this year and incarnate word last year ...i'm sure there are many more examples

I say that because I currently see depth as a problem and that probably won't change this season. I see mistakes that are fixable that might still be attributable to inexperience and i see a big drop off in talent compared to the top few conference teams after about 3-4 players.
Valid points but even with the Morrow absence, I think we are better than the last two games...especially the 2nd half of the OSU game and the 1st half today. That was just horrible basketball.

Valid points but even with the Morrow absence, I think we are better than the last two games...especially the 2nd half of the OSU game and the 1st half today. That was just horrible basketball.
Agree - we go into some droughts where the basketball just won't fall

All true! Also, I think we are mentally weak .. as evidenced by a horrible turnover at the end of today's game a key deFender falling down at the end of the Ohio State game. Losses to Gardner Webb this year and incarnate word last year ...i'm sure there are many more examples

I don't agree that its mental weakness necessarily because this team fights hard when they are down instead of giving up. I think there is definitely a huge mental problem when it comes to playing lesser teams. I said it before..they have no killer instinct at all.

I don't agree that its mental weakness necessarily because this team fights hard when they are down instead of giving up. I think there is definitely a huge mental problem when it comes to playing lesser teams. I said it before..they have no killer instinct at all.
If no killer instinct how did they get those three wins? I think it took killer instinct to get those.

Agree - we go into some droughts where the basketball just won't fall

But long scoring droughts have been our problem since Collier and Sadler days. I don't remember it with Nee. But Collier and Sadler had more emphasis on defense then offense. Maybe that is why? I don't know. But it is extremely frustrating and has been for years. So it isn't just two games. It is who we are most of the time. And I know the past two coaches don't have anythign to do with this. But it just comes to mind when I see scoring droughts.

I think it only rears its ugly head in games that are perceived to be 'should win'.
I hear what you are saying. I'd argue before the season and now that there are no games on the schedule that should be seen as gimmees or even "should wins".

I love college basketball and I will say the Huskers have been more fun to watch this year than last.

To be up by 5 with 1:30 left and have the ball and lose is just terrible. Two possesions without a shot. Dribble the ball off your foot with 10 seconds left in the game is terrible. Even getting up a a bad shot at that point kills 2-3 seconds off the clock with a chance at a rebound.

They really miss Morrow and his inside presence. They played so poorly in the last 8 minutes of the first half they really didn't diserve to win.

NU, despite playing poor for long stretches did everything to win the game. you can't have your senior leader have two turnovers in the last 45 seconds of the game. just no excuse for that. Tai singlehandely lost this game for NU. 45 seconds to go, other team is in the bonus, there is no reason to not either get fouled or put up a good shot. trying to split a double team with plenty of time left on the shotclock, only turn turn the ball over is where NU lost this game. we should have run the clock more, and been shooting freethrows or something, to possibly go up 4 or 5pts.
the Turnover Tai had with 12 seconds on the clock was just icing on the cake. the turnover and possession before that was the one that really bugged me. either way, if he plays his cards right on either of those possessions, NU wins this game, or at the very least puts Rutgers in a spot where they have to hit a 3 with 9 seconds to go in order to tie.

Two games in row now, NU has given the victory away.

Coaching better be able to address the issues that cost us the game. Maybe it wasn't the in game coaching decisions today. But every aspect that I saw cost us the game is coachable and recruitable.
Apparently, you did not watch the same game I did. Fundamentals by the players are not there. Not Boxing out, dribbling off your toe, having your back to the ball on defense are all coachable. But until the players execute the fundamentals, it is on them. They know the fundamentals.

I just finished watching the game on my DVR and did not read any other posts in the thread. The first half of today's game with the second half against OSU on Wednesday easily makes for 40 minutes of ugly basketball.

Was Jordy the only sub who played in the second half? I don't recall Roby or Horne even getting in, and I can't go back and watch it again because I made sure to delete it as soon as it was over.

To be up by 5 with 1:30 left and have the ball and lose is just terrible. Two possesions without a shot. Dribble the ball off your foot with 10 seconds left in the game is terrible. Even getting up a a bad shot at that point kills 2-3 seconds off the clock with a chance at a rebound.

They really miss Morrow and his inside presence. They played so poorly in the last 8 minutes of the first half they really didn't diserve to win.
Just got on late. You said it all for me! Terrible way to blow that game!! Off the foot? Focus, Ty!! Geeesh!

Another blown win out the window. Can't stand it! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back