• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #17, (L, 71-81), Tue, 1/11 vs #25 ILLINOIS, @ PBA, 7:30 PM CT, BTN-TV (Game Thread/Recap)

What little I saw of Breidenbach, I wasn't impressed.
I hope you're right.

What's your thoughts on the other big guy?
Eduardo?
I like his game. He plays with energy but seems a little skinny to bang with the big in this conference. Breidenbach needs more seasoning yes. I thought we looked decent when he was at the 4 and Walker at the 5. Breidenbach looks like he is asleep when on court. Walker holds his own against anyone but he needs help

I like his game. He plays with energy but seems a little skinny to bang with the big in this conference. Breidenbach needs more seasoning yes. I thought we looked decent when he was at the 4 and Walker at the 5. Breidenbach looks like he is asleep when on court. Walker holds his own against anyone but he needs help
Having Trey on the court will help.
I don't think it fixes the other problems, but it reduces the opportunity for those problems to arise.

Breidenbach has an... original look. He was also willing to dive on the floor and yell at other players not rebounding or defending. His outside shot is decent, and he can handle the ball well enough. Losing Breidenbach and, moreso, Trey really, really hurt the development of this "team".

Walker earned the praise
Yes he Did!!! :Bow:
In the cold light of Day (that is, the next morning hangover :Lol: ) We DO have some tools; and some are coming back soon (Lakes was not suited up for last night's game, I don't know why?).
(EDIT: Trevor Lakes has apparently re-injured his shoulder and will be out indefinitely)

But if our players can start finding their range, and with more consistent PG play, we could become a formidable opponent; not a top half of the conference team, but one that no one looks forward to playing. In a nutshell, here is a good summary of last night's play: (a good read :nod:)

3-POINT PLAY​

1. Nebraska still doesn’t know how to win
At some point, Nebraska’s young players, and even its upperclassmen, need to grow up and figure out how to compete for a full 40 minutes and finish the job. The moral victories are over for this group. It’s time to win.
2. Derrick Walker stepped up again
Despite giving up four inches and nearly 50 pounds, Walker held Cockburn to one of his worst outings of the season. Cockburn still ended up with 18 points and 13 rebounds, but he needed 18 shots to get there.
Tuesday night marked just the second time this year that Cockburn shot under 50-percent from the field. It also snapped his four-game streak of scoring 20 or more points.
3. The offense has to stay on the attack
Nebraska opened the game making its first four 3-pointers but went 2-for-6 the rest of the way. A big reason why this one was close was that NU didn’t die by the three once the perimeter shots stopped falling.
It attacked the paint, and by no coincidence, its offense suddenly started looking much more functional. That must continue if the Huskers are ever going to get over the hump this season.

Last edited:
What little I saw of Breidenbach, I wasn't impressed.
I hope you're right.

What's your thoughts on the other big guy?
Eduardo?

My amateur :Sign2cents: .

I liked Breidenbach's energy and he has some decent offensive skills. I had the impression he'd develop into a solid player as he gains experience.

Eduardo Andre does some good things. His hands don't seem to be strong. My impression has been he struggles to corral the rebound and there was at least one inbound play last night where he couldn't control what seemed like a decent lob pass.

My amateur :Sign2cents: .

I liked Breidenbach's energy and he has some decent offensive skills. I had the impression he'd develop into a solid player as he gains experience.

Eduardo Andre does some good things. His hands don't seem to be strong. My impression has been he struggles to corral the rebound and there was at least one inbound play last night where he couldn't control what seemed like a decent lob pass.
In 5he previous game, he had a couple fantastic moves to the basket that impressed.It was like someone injected him with a temporary shot of confidence.
But yeah, coordination, balance, hands, footwork, speed seem questionable.

But I have not seen enough to be fair.

I remember watching a women's game and the men's team needs to watch their film for proper rebounding approach. In the game, I specifically recall seeing the Nebraska players finding their player first, boxing out, then going for the ball. Sometimes they boxed out so well, the ball hits the floor before being gathered in.

On the men's side, the shot goes up, everyone turns and looks, maybe going toward the basket, maybe not... really not much boxing out happening.
Our gals are well coached, and they are disciplined! Hey, what a concept!! ;)

Verge excelled in the 6th man role with ASU. So much so that he was named Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year in 2020.

For better or worse, a 6th man's #1 role is typically to enter the game and shoot and shoot again. That's how he's programmed, and it's not easy re-programming a guy who is in his 5th year of college ball.
Maybe someone should coach him on the fine points of passing the ball and finding the open man so as to contribute to the "team" concept.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back