• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #1, (W, 72-68), Sat, 11/11 vs Eastern Illinois, @ PBA, 7:30 pm CST, BTN Plus

And Roby had atleast 5 blocks too!
Actually 6, great game for him and I think he will only get better.

cbc2b526-a155-4e28-92d1-2dd426e0814b.png

Actually 6, great game for him and I think he will only get better.

cbc2b526-a155-4e28-92d1-2dd426e0814b.png

Agreed about roby. I was excited about him last year but with the added muscle in the past year will help him in big 10 play the sky is the limit with the type of game he has.

Last edited:

Subscribed to BTN Plus today as my wife is an Iowa grad/fan. She's watching Iowa women's Bball in OT right now, leading up to the men's game for me. $14.95 for the full conference package; the $9.95 gets you only one team.

Streaming to the big screen via a Roku stick.

Are you saying, $14.95 per year, if you want to want more than 1 school? Hmm! Let me know, ok? Didn't think it was so cheap, since I pay a lot more for huskersnside.

I thought Eastern Illinois was a bit of a dirty team. The point guard was getting away with things because he was so small. I was waiting for Taylor to end him. I didn't see any replays, but there were two instances where I thought the game should have been stopped and the Panthers should have gotten flagrant fouls, one of them with an ejection.

The small quick lineup that E. Ill. used meant that Tshimanga, Okeke and Borchardt were too slow to keep up. That's a concern, but Copeland and Roby made up for it very well.

Cons: 3pt defense, 3pt shooting, spacing / lack of offensive execution. Still.

I think this team will win more games by being plucky, plus I think we have several gamers on the squad who will step up when the Huskers need a basket.

Didn't get to see any of the game but I'll take the win. The scoring droughts are kind of a Husker tradition but it looks like there is enough quality depth that an off night by one guy won't spell sure defeat. Excited to see Roby play well. This could be a pretty decent team if they progress from here.

I think EIU is a reasonably good team. I didn't realize EIU is coached by the son of former Husker assistant Charlie Spoonhour.

So for those who watched it, and I know it's only one game, but did it alter your feelings for the team and/or the outlook for the season?

Yes, for the worse.

EIU was decent, but our performance was alarming. If Roby doesn't play out if his mind we're down 10 at half. Palmer's open misses were brutal, and if doesn't shoot the outside J better than that he will struggle against good teams. Copeland's mid range game looked better than it has, but he played soft and rebounded poorly. Jordy's right hand is a useless appendage and everyone will have him scouted. We have at least a couple of guys we won't be able to play in the last 3 minutes of a close game due to free throw shooting. And our offense is just not productive and hard to watch.

On the positive side, if Roby can build on this he can be really special.

Last edited:
So for those who watched it, and I know it's only one game, but did it alter your feelings for the team and/or the outlook for the season?
For the worse for me as well.

I think this game showed that Jordy is still on the mend. He was laid out stretching at the half (while the rest of the team was shooting), and I think they had him down behind the bench once as well. The other bigs aren't big enough or quick enough to keep up with this team.

I'm hoping Palmer will do better now that he has a game under his belt. Looked much better in the exhibition games. Evan Taylor needs to work on his free throws. Wow.

I thought that Nebraska was beating Nebraska more than Eastern Illinois. They looked like they just couldn't get their hands on the ball and hang on to it on rebounds. Sometimes it looks like they are just unlucky, but usually that means that they didn't do something fundamentally correct first.

I hope this was a bad day for the team, and they showed they could push through and win. What I am afraid if is that Glynn Watson got tired of trying to set everyone up in the last 2 minutes and took over (good for him) but I don't think that is sustainable. I want Palmer and Roby (and maybe Allen) to be that guy, not make the point guard do everything. Watson is very good, but I don't want a team that depends on one guy.

I thought both the MBB and WBB season openers were disappointing, despite both winning (in squeakers; where Are my heart pills!).

I'm a little more sanguine regarding the WBB team; they had two potential starters resting from injuries, And Newcomers showed their potential in picking up the slack. Not quite the same with the MBB, several players had 'off' nights. I thought Eastern Illinois showed the more 'polished' offense; I liked some of their sets. Lewis made me think of Benny (but on steroids and with an offensive threat). He was All Over the floor. Jordy did not have a good night; hope he gets back on track soon; and I read somewhere else that Duby seemed slow (playing only 3 min), is there some sort of injury there?

My BTN Plus froze for the last 5 (most exciting) minutes of the game and I didn't get to see it. (I didn't think the Student U announcers were very good, but I didn't think they were bad enough to 'Pull the Plug' on!) Thankfully, Kent's 'paint-a-picture' pbp filled in the gap. If it weren't for Glen Watson's play in the clutch, we'd be staring at a 'L' in the win/loss column.

To be honest, I like it better the way the teams played in their Exhibition games; But if I'm going to be disappointed, I'd prefer it to be Now, rather than Later. This game shows what happens if one or more players are not on their game, or shots are not falling and no one else is able to get going. I'd rather have it this way, with a close win scaring the team(s) reinforcing what happens if they don't give it their all, even vs lesser opponents, than blow-out wins resulting in irrational over-confidence.

One more tune-up game each for the MBB & WBB then competition gets serious in a hurry. Both have formidable OOC opponents.

We'll see how the teams gel from here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOOOOO :Huskers:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

Thanks for the responses. But I'm bummed to hear the negative consensus. Hopefully things improve from here. I was cautiously optimistic about this team, and hopeful for some post season action.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back