• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Matt Finnin is bumped to a 4-star by Scout

Status
Not open for further replies.
No RS....he is expected to step right in...some of the recruting site guru's think he will be starting by conference play....

Expected to get a Hardship waiver and get a third year thus, a 3-3 guy...

So Matt is a OT? do you think he will start this season or redshirt? I hope he can start this season we need help now at OT IMO

Last edited:

He will challenge for LT spot immediately. This eliminates a major hole at RT if we can leave Sirles there in front of A-Rod pretty much full time.

THIS. Not to single out one player, but it seems A-Rod has been the most penalize lineman when he is in. I've seen him open holes for the run on one play then turns around and gets a holding call in pass protection the next, almost every time he's on the field.

THIS. Not to single out one player, but it seems A-Rod has been the most penalize lineman when he is in. I've seen him open holes for the run on one play then turns around and gets a holding call in pass protection the next, almost every time he's on the field.

A-Rod imo is falling way short of expectations. That doesnt mean he cant end up a very good lineman, but he looks about a step slower than everyone else out there and if its not a straight ahead run block he looks very average, if not below average. I for one would like to see him lose about 15-20 lbs. It also looks to me like his lower body isnt all that strong. Not doggin on the kid because hes still got some time to become a great player, but hes got a lot of work to do.

I expect Finnin to come in and contribute from day one. He has everything you want in a solid right tackle (maybe even left tackle). Good feet, wide strong base, great hand placement, great balance and understanding of leverage and above all, he finishes his blocks. We got a real good on in Finnin.

Last edited:

A-Rod imo is falling way short of expectations. That doesnt mean he cant end up a very good lineman, but he looks about a step slower than everyone else out there and if its not a straight ahead run block he looks very average, if not below average. I for one would like to see him lose about 15-20 lbs. It also looks to me like his lower body isnt all that strong. Not doggin on the kid because hes still got some time to become a great player, but hes got a lot of work to do.

I expect Finnin to come in and contribute from day one. He has everything you want in a solid right tackle (maybe even left tackle). Good feet, wide strong base, great hand placement, great balance and understanding of leverage and above all, he finishes his blocks. We got a real good on in Finnin.

I wonder if it is a confidence issue with him. His body language suggests it at times.

I wonder if it is a confidence issue with him. His body language suggests it at times.

Could be, hard to say. He has moments where he really shines, so the potential is deffinitely there. He lacks consistency which could be not truly knowing what to do, or only being able to excel in one facet of the game (run blocking over pass pro). Tough to say, hes got all the tools though so it may just take a little more time.

I agree here. I try not to express it as much during the season and other times, 1. because I don't know the technicalities of being a lineman enough to be too critical (I played WR/CB & coached DBs/LBs), and 2, I know he was hampered by an injury last season and this season that he was playing through. But he's a senior now and he's going to have to show more than he has, if anything be consistent in being at least average. I remember the hype surrounding him committing and what we expected of him. We thought he would add to the resume of good Nebraska bread players contributing to the success of the huskers.

I agree here. I try not to express it as much during the season and other times, 1. because I don't know the technicalities of being a lineman enough to be too critical (I played WR/CB & coached DBs/LBs), and 2, I know he was hampered by an injury last season and this season that he was playing through. But he's a senior now and he's going to have to show more than he has, if anything be consistent in being at least average. I remember the hype surrounding him committing and what we expected of him. We thought he would add to the resume of good Nebraska bread players contributing to the success of the huskers.

Honestly his technique is pretty poor. His upper body is always ahead of his lower body on his kick steps, so it always looks like hes going to fall over backwards. usually means his legs arent that strong (could be an injury too though) and lack of quickness. Losing weight would really help him out in that. You can tell hes got a strong upper body because once he latches on to somone he stones them. You can also tell hes completely petrified to give up the inside because most of the time he plays his weight heavy on the inside, and thats why he always gets beat on a speed rush. We may be seeing all he has, I hope thats not the case and Im hoping he improves for his last year.

I think its important to note that this is my take on him as a tackle. As a guard I think hed be much better as he wouldnt be on an island one on one with guys way more athletic than him.

Last edited:

Honestly his technique is pretty poor. His upper body is always ahead of his lower body on his kick steps, so it always looks like hes going to fall over backwards. usually means his legs arent that strong (could be an injury too though) and lack of quickness. Losing weight would really help him out in that. You can tell hes got a strong upper body because once he latches on to somone he stones them. You can also tell hes completely petrified to give up the inside because most of the time he plays his weight heavy on the inside, and thats why he always gets beat on a speed rush. We may be seeing all he has, I hope thats not the case and Im hoping he improves for his last year.

I think its important to note that this is my take on him as a tackle. As a guard I think hed be much better as he wouldnt be on an island one on one with guys way more athletic than him.

Excellent analysis, BPG.

Finnin is considered a rare JUCO OL....as HIO or FLAS has pointed out....can't remmber which JUCO OL struggle to make the jump to 1A football...at least at Nebraska...for the most part....lot of folks consider Finnin an exception to that...

Makes a ton of sense. Yea, that pass rush seem to be a the death of him many times this season. Can't remember his measurements, but if he lost 20 lbs, that wouldn't make him undersized would it?

yeah, he struggles big time.

Makes a ton of sense. Yea, that pass rush seem to be a the death of him many times this season. Can't remember his measurements, but if he lost 20 lbs, that wouldn't make him undersized would it?

Think hes listed something like 6'6" 325. But honestly he looks bigger (fatter) than that. 300/305 would be pretty decent for him imo. Im not a big believer in having guys over 315-320 unless they wear it well. i.e. no flesh belt.

Think hes listed something like 6'6" 325. But honestly he looks bigger (fatter) than that. 300/305 would be pretty decent for him imo. Im not a big believer in having guys over 315-320 unless they wear it well. i.e. no flesh belt.

Yea, just looked at his bio. 6-6 325.... I agree he looks much bigger than that and I didn't realize he was that tall. He looked extremely short standing next to Yoshi on the sidelines a couple seasons ago. I remember way back when, where our linemen looked like they slept in the weight room. Even though some wore what I referred to as a "Husker Halter Top", you still didn't see a belly over lapping onto the thighs....:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back