• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Martinez or Gebbia?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date

Who do you like to win the starting QB job?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My gut tells me Martinez wasn't pursued to that extreme degree to compete for a spot. It's his job to lose.

Even is he doesn't/hasn't already won the starting job outright, with the new redshirt rule Martinez would still get ample tries to win the starting role back.

The nice thing is we have three guys lined up and ready and I have no issues seeing any of them under center. When's the last time that's happened?

They were split. Although 1 guy admits to not being real close to anything going on there right now. He said he likes Martinez. The other guy is still involved and seems to have an idea of what is going on day to day, and he likes Gebbia. Said Gebbia is turning into a real leader and has even been the guy that approved of discipline for certain guys that violate team rules.
Reading both are becoming leaders and working overtime in the film room. However I remember reading last August that Lee would easily be a first round draft pick and we were blessed to have him for one year. I trust this staff will make the right choice.

With the new redshirt rule, it wouldn't surprise me to see both of them. Sometimes all things being equal, when the lights come on, and 90,000+ screaming and yelling, some rise up. We'll see soon enough whom it is. Seems to me NU is gonna have a pretty damn good player either way.

Which guy processes information the quickest? Who scored the highest on the Verduzco test?

Answer those two questions and you more than likely have your starting QB.

With the new redshirt rule, it wouldn't surprise me to see both of them. Sometimes all things being equal, when the lights come on, and 90,000+ screaming and yelling, some rise up. We'll see soon enough whom it is. Seems to me NU is gonna have a pretty damn good player either way.

Agreed.

Martinez. Guy is larger than Gebbia, 220 vs. 185 to handle BIG pounding. Speed and fluidity, which are crucial in Frost's offense and make the offense truly dangerous. Command. Gebbia has some of this, but Martinez was cool and in charge of the QB position also. Processing speed is an unknown, but Frost and Verduzco picked this guy for all the right reasons.

I don't want those compromise half solutions at this position like in years past as the coaches were terrified of losing a few meaningless games in order to preserve a meaningless future. As the commies say "Forward to the Future!"

Last winter, I assumed Gebbia would win out. After seeing Martinez in the UA AllAmerican game and the spring game, I changed my mind.

But those are only guesses. I don't "like" either one over the other. I am confident the best one will be on the field.

Not willing to go public with my pick, because I dont know which one I want and I dont know which one Mr Frost will want. I want the one that can do these things best: Think Fast, Read Well, Lead Receivers open, Complete 75% of Passes, Run Slick and Tough, Succeed Through Adversity and Promote the Team. I am just so happy that we have two of them, and good guys behind them.

My gut tells me Martinez wasn't pursued to that extreme degree to compete for a spot. It's his job to lose.

Even is he doesn't/hasn't already won the starting job outright, with the new redshirt rule Martinez would still get ample tries to win the starting role back.

The nice thing is we have three guys lined up and ready and I have no issues seeing any of them under center. When's the last time that's happened?
That flies in the face of everything we've heard about who will get playing time.

You go with whomever you believe is your long-term answer. For this season and seasons beyond.
Interesting dilemma. They will KNOW who gives them the best chance to win now. And they may THINK the other guy gives them the best chance long term. So...which one do you pick for now? I take the guy you know. Remember...we dont throw away seasons. We don't sacrifice seniors for the hope of a better future. We play to win now. Right?

Which guy processes information the quickest? Who scored the highest on the Verduzco test?

Answer those two questions and you more than likely have your starting QB.
Exactly right IMO. Fastest, strongest...none of that matters if the wrong decisions are being made.

Andrew Bunch. We know as much about him as the other two. Would at least make a solid backup if Martinez redshirts. Odds are we see at least two of them. If one sputters, Frost will give the next guy up a chance.

Interesting dilemma. They will KNOW who gives them the best chance to win now. And they may THINK the other guy gives them the best chance long term. So...which one do you pick for now? I take the guy you know. Remember...we dont throw away seasons. We don't sacrifice seniors for the hope of a better future. We play to win now. Right?

They don't know either more than other.

How is one more ready than the other?

I suppose Martinez is more ready, since he actually played last season in a system suitable to what's at NU.

EdIt: Nevermind, I forgot AM was hurt his senior year.

In other words, both quarterbacks are over a year removed from playing an actual game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back