• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Marques Buford is N

Red Said Ted

Red Shirt
2 Year Member
I really like this kid on and off the field. He’s the type of player and person Frost is looking for to help build the right culture here at NU. He’s a long time friend of Alante Brown and trending toward the Huskers. I expect him to commit to NU.

Marques Buford comments on Huskers

Buford said, "Nebraska is a great school academically and athletically. I’m interested in majoring in business, so I’m impressed knowing business is one of the main majors offered, and Nebraska is the business mogul Warren Buffet’s alma mater. On the football side, they have an awesome tradition of winning. And I can already tell the fan base is very loyal. It’s cool that the head coach is also an alum, so he is even more committed to being successful. Nebraska is also the only school where I’m speaking with both offensive and defensive coaches, so I like knowing they are considering me as a true athlete and keeping options open."

Marques Buford 247 profile

He has a great offer list including aTm and Florida State.

Whats the best guess for a position? Seems a little small for Safety.

I would say safety or nickel. He has really good break on the ball as a defender, and he’s 6’ with a thick build already. Like a lot of athletes it’ll probably depend on how his body develops and what the needs are on the team.

I really like this kid on and off the field. He’s the type of player and person Frost is looking for to help build the right culture here at NU. He’s a long time friend of Alante Brown and trending toward the Huskers. I expect him to commit to NU.

Marques Buford comments on Huskers

Buford said, "Nebraska is a great school academically and athletically. I’m interested in majoring in business, so I’m impressed knowing business is one of the main majors offered, and Nebraska is the business mogul Warren Buffet’s alma mater. On the football side, they have an awesome tradition of winning. And I can already tell the fan base is very loyal. It’s cool that the head coach is also an alum, so he is even more committed to being successful. Nebraska is also the only school where I’m speaking with both offensive and defensive coaches, so I like knowing they are considering me as a true athlete and keeping options open."

Marques Buford 247 profile

He has a great offer list including aTm and Florida State.

He isn’t in the conversation for top rated ATH for the 2021 signing class. He is taking a prep school year and what you are looking at is his prep school ranking, meaning no high school players are included.

In his actual high school grad year, 2020, he didn’t receive a ranking for ATH but was the 149th rated player in TX. If his 3* and 87 in 247 ranking is compared to the rest of the 2021 high school ATH’s he would be around the 40th ranked player at that position. Not bad but not close to the top. The top 21 ATH are all 4* and 5*.

He isn’t in the conversation for top rated ATH for the 2021 signing class. He is taking a prep school year and what you are looking at is his prep school ranking, meaning no high school players are included.

In his actual high school grad year, 2020, he didn’t receive a ranking for ATH but was the 149th rated player in TX. If his 3* and 87 in 247 ranking is compared to the rest of the 2021 high school ATH’s he would be around the 40th ranked player at that position. Not bad but not close to the top. The top 21 ATH are all 4* and 5*.

You’re correct. I changed the thread title. I don’t know why it didn’t register for me that the top rated ATH would not be rated a 3 star. LOL.

Regardless of ranking I really like this prospect. I’ve heard he’s a really good kid in addition to his athletic ability. He’ll be a great addition.

LOL. You're not that far off!

Believe it or not, Connecticut prep schools have made some major in-roads with kids from the south and mid-west . These schools are not only the New England version of football factories, but they are very good academic institutions. Having coached in this state for a while and now having the opportunity to go watch games on Fridays and Saturdays, the quality of play - especially among the private schools is really, really strong.

As for his size, Earl Thomas is 5'10 200lbs and a grown man. At 6'0 and 180lbs., this kid can fill out play safety or nickel for Fish. Another slightly under the radar type kid Fish loves to grab due to the intangibles he looks for.

I'm unclear on the rules, but the OWH story on Buford said he reclassified for the 2021 class and was going to prep school this next year. IF Joseph fell through and NU still has the one slot left for the current class, could Buford then "re-classify" again and take that last spot if he wanted? Or is there a time line on when the declaration has to be made?

I guess it is possible that NU carries that slot over and fills it with an additional body next year if Joseph ends up not signing.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back