• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mark Whipple for OC?

NU_Alum

Husker Fan
5 Year Member
Lots of buzz on Twitter (I know, believe me, I know). He just resigned from Pitt today and isn't obviously coaching them in the Peach bowl.

I know exactly zero about Pitt this year. Thoughts?

Lots of buzz on Twitter (I know, believe me, I know). He just resigned from Pitt today and isn't obviously coaching them in the Peach bowl.

I know exactly zero about Pitt this year. Thoughts?
They've played well, that's about all I know about them.

Watched a little of their game against Tennessee and a little of the Wake Forest championship game, but nothing really stood out to me in the little bit I watched.

Just saw this on Twitter. I know Pitt are playing generally well but that’s it. Just beat Wake for ACC championship. Based on that and if it’s true, I’m happy I think? I certainly don’t have a reason to hate it.

Or maybe he just refuses to coach a QB that fake slides and is resigning in disgust.

Last edited:
Just saw this on Twitter. I know Pitt are playing generally well but that’s it. Just beat Wake for ACC championship. Based on that and if it’s true, I’m happy I think? I certainly don’t have a reason to hate it.

Or maybe he just refuses to coach a QB that fake slides and is resigning in disgust.
In beating Wake,they beat a pretty good fb team.No idea why he resigned.Keep the faith.GBR.

Statistically, Pitt ranked 3rd in points scored this season (43.0 ppg). Averaged 350 in the air; 150 on the ground; 500 yards total. Pretty even balance as far as play calling 40 pass attempts on average compared to 38 on the ground.

Whipple's first year at Pitt [2019] offense ranked 114th of 130 in scoring. Jumped to 58th last season.

When he was at Miami [FL], similar balanced play calling with lack luster results. Looks like his career at UMass had some successful seasons. In 1993, Sports Illustrated dubbed his New Haven team as having "the best offense in college football".

Personally, it wouldn't be the most exciting of hires. There seem to be mixed results. You can look at his successes and try to build some excitement off of them, but you could also get pretty down about some of the failures.

Someone has tried to update his Wiki page to being OC of Nebraska. Last I saw was he is resigning due to family issues.

I don't believe the interwebs.

His offenses in the two previous years ranked 113th and 63rd in scoring. The ACC isn't exactly a dominant defensive league. He made huge improvement this year which is good but he's also 64 years old. How is he as a recruiter? Is Mark Whipple's name going to entice top offensive playmakers, especially quarterbacks, to come to Nebraska?

His offenses in the two previous years ranked 113th and 63rd in scoring. The ACC isn't exactly a dominant defensive league. He made huge improvement this year which is good but he's also 64 years old. How is he as a recruiter? Is Mark Whipple's name going to entice top offensive playmakers, especially quarterbacks, to come to Nebraska?
Recruiting is a decent concern. The one thing potentially going for him is that he is coming off a season where he has a Heisman finalist (potentially winner). The age is also concerning to me. How many more years is he going to want to coach? Is he still as driven as some of the younger guys on the list? All valid concerns, but not things that should necessarily disqualify him.

His Wikepedia says he is Nebraska OC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark John Whipple (born April 1, 1957) is an American football coach at the University of Nebraska. Previously he served in the same capacity at the University of Pittsburgh until 2021. Whipple served as the head football coach at University of New Haven from 1988 to 1993, Brown University from 1994 to 1997, and stints as the University of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass), from 1998 to 2003 and 2014 to 2018. His 1998 UMass team won the NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship. He was the quarterbacks coach for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL) in 2011 and 2012. Before joining the Browns in January 2011, Whipple worked for two seasons as the offensive coordinator at the University of Miami. He previously coached in the NFL, working as a quarterback coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2004 to 2006 and as an offensive assistant coach with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2007 and 2008. On January 14, 2014, Whipple returned to UMass as head coach.[1]

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1980St. Lawrence (Assistant)
1981–1982Union (OC)
1983Brown (WR)
1984Arizona Wranglers (OQC/QB)
1986–1987New Hampshire (OC)
1988–1993New Haven
1994–1997Brown
1998–2003UMass
2004–2006Pittsburgh Steelers (QB)
2008Philadelphia Eagles (assistant)
2009–2010Miami (FL) (AHC/OC/QB)