• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mark Philipp

I kink of liked the workouts this year.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I think the point is it sounds like Philipp didn't have full autonomy.

If he sucked as a coach, I doubt USC would want him back.
So you are accusing Boyd Epley of overstepping? Or, did FADSE or MR demand that Philipp turn the team soft? Just who was it?

And, why was he getting glowing remarks for 3 years?

Nothing to see here...MP did not get the job done. Besides, I haven't seen a link as to MP's hire at USC...I'm guessing he took a demotion back to Asst S&C coach. If he was so great, I'd think he wouldn't need to step back...other schools would be after him.

Last edited:
So you are accusing Boyd Epley of overstepping? Or, did FADSE or MR demand that Philipp turn the team soft? Just who was it? And, why was he getting glowing remarks for 3 years? Nothing to see here...MP did not get the job done here. Besides, I haven't seen a link as to MP's hire at USC...I'm guessing he took a demotion back to Asst S&C coach. If he was so great, I'd think he wouldn't need to step back...other schools would be after him.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I think it's obvious that everyone wasn't on the same page.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I think it's obvious that everyone wasn't on the same page.
Well, for much of the other "interference" going on, there was quite a bit of circumstantial, if not direct, evidence...with regard to S&C, not so much. This seems very much like an after-the-fact rumor or opinion.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are blaming the previous staff and Boyd Epley for MP's failures. It doesn't take long to learn to lift from the ground, if a coach can't teach that quickly...he sucks. And, I find it hard to believe that Epley was on the wrong side of demanding intense and fundamentally sound workouts. I don't doubt MP and BE butted heads some...still that's a weak excuse for producing the poor conditioning we all witnessed. BTW, if you believe Benning and Peter, Epley rarely showed up in the weight room back in the 90's, I wouldn't imagine he gets in there very often now...it isn't his job to train the FB players, that was MP's job. MP was inexperienced and likely another bad hire, just my opinion.
First, MP was part of the previous staff, so yes I am blaming the previous staff, Epley, and MP for the lack of performance.

Second, you're right it doesn't take long to lift from the ground, takes time to learn to do it correctly. Turley who is the Stanford head strength coach and one of if not the best in the country doesn't even let freshmen lift when they first get to campus. They just do body weight stuff. But i'm sure MP just "sucks".

Third, would be tough for Epley to be on the wrong side of the demanding, intense, and fundamentally sound workouts since he was barely around the football lifting program. Just tried inserting his opinion while not being around, thus the tension that was created. Epley created some of the dysfunction.

As someone else pointed out, MP didn't get to run it the way he wanted with people he wanted along his side. Which is why I don't hold him fully responsible for lack of performance. It's also why I don't hold Riley fully responsible for lack of performance. Both are great examples of things they are in charge of not looking the way they wanted them to.

Last edited:

First, MP was part of the previous staff, so yes I am blaming the previous staff, Epley, and MP for the lack of performance.

Third, would be tough for Epley to be on the wrong side of the demanding, intense, and fundamentally sound workouts since he was barely around the football lifting program. Just tried inserting his opinion while not being around, thus the tension that was created. Epley created some of the dysfunction.

As someone else pointed out, MP didn't get to run it the way he wanted with people he wanted along his side. Which is why I don't hold him fully responsible for lack of performance. It's also why I don't hold Riley fully responsible for lack of performance. Both are great examples of things they are in charge of not looking the way they wanted them to.
Previous S&C staff to Philipp was Bo's S&C staff. You remember? The guy that never lifted from the ground for 7 years.

Epley "handcuffed" Philipps by trying to "insert his opinion"? Weak.

Last edited:
This seems very much like an after-the-fact rumor or opinion.
After the fact, or during the fact? I have been saying this for awhile:

Jan 1, 2017:
Will remind you MP doesn't like the Epley involvement.
https://forum.huskermax.com/index.p...m-is-it-good-enough.93290/page-3#post-2938856

April 29, 2016:
See the first post in this thread in "other things not scrimmage related"
"Things are interesting between the football team, the strength staff, and Epley right now. I hope they get it worked out."
https://forum.huskermax.com/index.p...observations-and-thoughts.83739/#post-2651548

Things haven't been good on this front for awhile. This isn't a new revelation to defend MP. This is just info i'm passing along.

Last edited:
Previous S&C staff to Philipp was Bo's S&C staff. You remember? The guy that never lifted from the ground for 7 years.

Epley "handcuffed" Philipps by trying to "insert his opinion"? Weak.
Yes, I didn't like Dobson, didn't lift from the ground at all.

That was one of the ways MP was handcuffed, yes. If you couldn't hire who you wanted because some guy not around the program wanted a certain person there, you don't think you are handcuffed a bit? Come on man.

***, what do you think BE's involvement will be if any in Duval's program? I'm asking because obviously he feels a lot different having trained under him but it also has to be a bit intimidating. For that matter, who hired Boyd this time around and does he still hold a position?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back