• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mark Philipp

You might be in for a rude awakening. I guarantee Frost won't waste a lot of time on recruits that he doesn't think he has a chance at. Why would anyone do that?

And I'm not sure what you're talking about with the first part. What resources did Bo turn down?

I agree that Frost, and staff, won't waste a lot of time when they don't think there's a chance, or if it's only a Lloyd Christmas chance, but I think what bils was referring to was the overall recruiting attitude. It seemed that Pelini wouldn't even test the waters. He believed in the recruiting "disadvantages" at Nebraska, and bemoaned them many times. Even with all of his faults, Riley didn't, and would at least make contact and try. He was pretty aggressive that way. It didn't always pan out, but we were at least on the radar of many top recruits, and his staff was willing to put in the extra work, even if the recruit seemed like a long shot. It seems like Frost and company are also willing to put in the extra work and go after anyone they think may be a good fit.

Last edited:

The most vile smell in sports? A hockey player! Something about sweat and leather! My God is it bad!
I can't argue with that one. My son played hockey for a few years. You'd think they wouldn't sweat so much on the ice!

I agree that Frost, and staff, won't waste a lot of time when they don't think there's a chance, or if it's only a Lloyd Christmas chance, but I think what bils was referring to was the overall recruiting attitude. It seemed that Pelini wouldn't even test the waters. He believed in the recruiting "disadvantages" at Nebraska, and bemoaned them many times. Even with all of his faults, Riley didn't, and would at least make contact and try. He was pretty aggressive that way. It didn't always pan out, but we were at least on the radar of many top recruits, and his staff was willing to put in the extra work, even if the recruit seemed like a long shot. It seems like Frost and company are also willing to put in the extra work and go after anyone they think may be a good fit.
That's the story anyway. But how do we know that Pelini wouldn't even try for certain recruits? I think it was propaganda that Pederhorst put out to soften the blow when he completed his primary directive.

I know when Pederson was hired, he came in threw a list of the Rivals top 100 players on Solich's desk and said "Get busy!"

Solich had already qualified every guy on the list and knew who he had a chance with and who he didn't. Solich also had two top ten classes in '00 and '01 and his class of '04 was ranked #14 on the day he was fired, and even TO always said that Frank was his best recruiter. Yet somehow after 2003, the "word" was that Solich couldn't recruit. That incorrect view is still pervasive today.

Beware the power of propaganda.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's the story anyway. But how do we know that Pelini wouldn't even try for certain recruits? I think it was propaganda that Pederhorst put out to soften the blow when he completed his primary directive.

I know when Pederson was hired, he came in threw a list of the Rivals top 100 players on Solich's desk and said "Get busy!"

Solich had already qualified every guy on the list and knew who he had a chance with and who he didn't. Solich also had two top ten classes in '00 and '01 and his class of '04 was ranked #14 on the day he was fired, and even TO always said that Frank was his best recruiter. Yet somehow after 2003, the "word" was that Solich couldn't recruit. That incorrect view is still pervasive today.

Beware the power of propaganda.

That's true. We don't know if it was Bo (although we do know what he publicly said about recruiting to Nebraska), if it was Pederhorst propaganda, or if it was due to lack of support and/or resources.

Whatever it was then, though, we seem to be on a pretty good path now. Frost and company seem to be willing to go after the players (regardless of national recruiting rankings) that are a good fit for the team and their systems.

Regarding Solich, I agree. I always thought he was a great recruiter. He had some on staff that may not have been, but many were no longer on staff his final year. Going forward, I don't think recruiting was going to be a problem for him, but we will never know.

Last edited:
I believe we've also heard of Bo turning down certain "resources" as well...not to mention his unwillingness to go after certain caliber players because he didn't think they'd come to NU. Fortunately, Frost doesn't think like that.

Yes it was rumored that he turned down a resource similar to.....and might have even been the same resource....Billy Devaney. SE was trying to force that person onto Bo's staff. The same thing we give MR a free pass on for having to "tolerate' we criticize Bo for standing up and saying no to. Again not trying to be supportive of Bo.....I'm trying to bring out that some people who are still retaining a little bit of liking for MR and blaming SE need to realize that Bo was working under those same conditions, and worse. WE don't need to be apologetic to Bo for how he was treated. Just not sure why we have to give him any extra blame for our problems today.

That's true. We don't know if it was Bo (although we do know what he publicly said about recruiting to Nebraska), if it was Pederhorst propaganda, or if it was due to lack of support and/or resources.

Whatever it was then, though, we seem to be on a pretty good path now. Frost and company seem to be willing to go after the players (regardless of national recruiting rankings) that are a good fit for the team and their systems.

Regarding Solich, I agree. I always thought he was a great recruiter. He had some on staff that may not have been, but many were no longer on staff his final year. Going forward, I don't think recruiting was going to be a problem for him, but we will never know.
Thing is, it is harder to recruit to Nebraska than a lot of other places. Nothing wrong with admitting it. In fact, there's a little reverse psychology involved with admitting it.

Constantly using it as an excuse for demonstrably poor recruiting is a different story.

Thing is, it is harder to recruit to Nebraska than a lot of other places. Nothing wrong with admitting it. In fact, there's a little reverse psychology involved with admitting it.

Constantly using it as an excuse for demonstrably poor recruiting is a different story.

It is harder, and as you say, there is nothing wrong with admitting it, but don't use it as an excuse. Instead, show the attitude Frost has about it, and recruit hard.

You might be in for a rude awakening. I guarantee Frost won't waste a lot of time on recruits that he doesn't think he has a chance at. Why would anyone do that?

And I'm not sure what you're talking about with the first part. What resources did Bo turn down?

Nobody should. But Bo, apparently didn't even try with some. That's weak.

To your question I'll let *** or someone more in the know comment. Apologies to *** if he wasn't the one that mentioned it a while back.

Nobody should. But Bo, apparently didn't even try with some. That's weak.

To your question I'll let *** or someone more in the know comment. Apologies to *** if he wasn't the one that mentioned it a while back.
Any truth to the rumor that Bo LOST a private jet because of how his staff would leave it?

I am asking you! I just heard a rumor and is that not what most of this thread is starting to be?
I was just having fun with the words that I bolded. I will go back to that post and make those a different color, too.

I have no idea about the rumor.
Thanks for the like on my reply as it helped my anxiety. When I first saw your response to my post before this, I had to tell myself...

tumblr_osfpppCkwp1sykpjyo1_500.gif

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back