• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Marcus McWilson visiting UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we can. We also haven't lost him at this point anyway. While it might turn out he does decide to go to a different school I somehow have to believe the University of Nebraska football team will still be able to survive.

Football team will survive but its yet again a situation where we will end up short on talent. We were already going to end up short of what we could sign in this class. This only increases that number. This offseason when 4-5 guys leave like they do on average...we'll be sitting 4-7 guys short come fall. Can't keep doing that if you want to compete at the highest level. We do the opposite of what the SEC does. The oversign and look for players to cut to maximize their talent. We undersign and look for walkons to fill spots. There's a middle ground in there that we need to find.

People like to play this stuff off but 1-2 players can make a difference. 1-2 players a year can make even more of a difference. You never know when you might be giving up on an all conference type player. You think Blaine Gabbert doesn't help us in 09. Same with Jonas Gray when Helu and Burkhead were hurt? Tevin Mitchell could've helped. DJ Woods wouldve provided depth over the years. Keelan Johnson, the same.

Last edited:

Whatever. If he wants to go play for a team that will never win more than 6 games during his time there, go for it. NU will be just fine. Would our outlook at safety get better with his commit? Absolutely.

I hope the kid makes the right choice for him and not make his decision based on trumped-up speeches from coaches who will say anything to get him on board.

My advice to the young man is to hold on to his NU commitment. He can still maintain his relationship with Marrow by sending him post cards from Indianapolis and any number of BCS cities from around the USA over the next four or five years..

KENTUCKY SPENT MORE ON THEIR MIDNIGHT MADNESS EVENT THAN THEY DID ON THEIR ENTIRE FOOTBALL RECRUITING BUDGET

Short on talent? The sky is not falling nor are we short on talent....if he goes he goes...so be it...

This is Bo's best class hands down.....

We get it he may leave...the world is not going to end....

Football team will survive but its yet again a situation where we will end up short on talent. We were already going to end up short of what we could sign in this class. This only increases that number. This offseason when 4-5 guys leave like they do on average...we'll be sitting 4-7 guys short come fall. Can't keep doing that if you want to compete at the highest level. We do the opposite of what the SEC does. The oversign and look for players to cut to maximize their talent. We undersign and look for walkons to fill spots. There's a middle ground in there that we need to find.

Short on talent? The sky is not falling nor are we short on talent....if he goes he goes...so be it...

This is Bo's best class hands down.....

We get it he may leave...the world is not going to end....

If we are 5 under the scholarship limit, then we are short on talent.

yeah it's Bo's best class. But compared to a few of his early ones, that isn't a huge accomplishment.

I love the 24 commits we have right now, but if a few bail and we end up well below the 85 total...that adds up. we do it every year. It's a big reason why we are only a bottom-tiered top 25 team

People like to play this stuff off but 1-2 players can make a difference. 1-2 players a year can make even more of a difference. You never know when you might be giving up on an all conference type player. You think Blaine Gabbert doesn't help us in 09. Same with Jonas Gray when Helu and Burkhead were hurt? Tevin Mitchell could've helped. DJ Woods wouldve provided depth over the years. Keelan Johnson, the same.

First, we don't know that he's going to leave. So relax and take a step back from the ledge. Secondly, this class is stocked with SEC caliber athletes (Dixon, Boaz, both of which could play S or CB) Third, Singleton is already on campus and projects higher at the safety position than McWilson (He doesn't count against this class, but last years). I certainly don't want McWilson to leave, but at this point he hasn't and even if he DOES WE'LL BE FINE!

I could not disagree with you more....you see the sky falling at every corner....I don't....and I suspect most folks don't.....if one guy makes that much of a difference to a class than there is no hope at all...

If we are 5 under the scholarship limit, then we are short on talent.

yeah it's Bo's best class. But compared to a few of his early ones, that isn't a huge accomplishment.

I love the 24 commits we have right now, but if a few bail and we end up well below the 85 total...that adds up. we do it every year. It's a big reason why we are only a bottom-tiered top 25 team

Last edited:

Yeah that....

First, we don't know that he's going to leave. So relax and take a step back from the ledge. Secondly, this class is stocked with SEC caliber athletes (Dixon, Boaz, both of which could play S or CB) Third, Singleton is already on campus and projects higher at the safety position than McWilson (He doesn't count against this class, but last years). I certainly don't want McWilson to leave, but at this point he hasn't and even if he DOES WE'LL BE FINE!

Forgot to also mention Nathan Gerry at safety who would be a four star if he played anywhere else in the country and got more exposure against greater competition. Incredibly underrated guy. We have great athletes and speed in this class.

Agree with Gerry and Singleton we are in great shape and Joesph could end up there too....

Singleton is considered a better prospect than McWilson to boot....

Forgot to also mention Nathan Gerry at safety who would be a four star if he played anywhere else in the country and got more exposure against greater competition. Incredibly underrated guy. We have great athletes and speed in this class.

I could not disagree with you more....you see the sky falling at every corner....I don't....and I suspect most folks don't.....if one guy makes that much of a difference to a class than there is no hope at all...

It's not just one guy though. It's mcwilson and then walker and then the 2 spots on top of that that we don't fill in this class. then we have 5 guys leave during the offseason and before you know it....we are setting on 79 scholarships in mid-August.

Unless we just get a lot better at developing talent, we aren't going to be anything more than a 10-win type of team if we are continually underscholarshipped. You were the biggest proponent of how the USC sanctions would impact them. While we arent as low as 75 scholarships...we will hover once again around the 79-81 mark.

Dont think the sky is falling but this is a blow.

The thing with dixon and boaz though...is that you are robbing peter to pay paul. sure they could play safety. but then all of a sudden you are short at wr (not as well stocked as everyone wants to believe) and corner (razor thin when looking at 2014).

Listen I hate that we put this much into a kid that may or may not leave but jslsker has a point in terms of stock-piling talent. As much as I love our walk-ons, and how many of them deserve a scholly imagine how much greater position we would be in if we signed up towards our limit these next few years and handed out few if any walk-on scholarships(b/c we didn't have to)!? The kids walking on aren't going anywhere for the most part anyways and we could be anywhere from 5-8 deeper. You're telling me those 5-8 guys couldn't possibly make a difference PROBABLY even more when you factor in attrition. We can't/shouldn't do what many in the SEC do but pushing ourselves to the limits of recruiting numbers should never be a problem for us and I would love to see us not having to award many Walk-on scholly's next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back