• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Male cheerleaders are back

berryhusker

Travel Squad
15 Year Member
I haven't been to a home game yet so I wasn't aware of this. After 20 years we have guys on the cheer squad. It also looks like they are returning to traditional tosses as well. I can't remember which administrator banned those, but it appears they are back. This is cool IMO

If memory serves they stopped the aerial stuff during the ADSP administration because of a serious injury. Could have been the Dollar Bill years.

I guess I never realized that male cheerleaders wernt allowed either. When/why did this happen?
I get the ariel stuff was stopped after the injury/lawsuit, but why ban males?

I had friends from high school that were on the yell squad in late 80s early 90s. One was Herbie Husker for a couple years.

tenor.gif

NU_Alum is correct. If the student in the interview is right and it has been 20 years, that would fall in the Dollar Bill era (92-02) according to wikipedia.
I think I was there when it happened but memories are a bit fuzzy and I never liked that guy!

One of my buddies wanted to be a male cheerleader at UNL, but they had discontinued the program. He went on to become a male nurse and then eventually, a Catholic priest.

Make of that what you will, but the guy is straight as an arrow.

I remember why it happened because my daughter was a competitive Cheerleader at the time. They did something called the boing something . Do not remember the whole name but while performing it at national finals a girl was dropped and died. Must have been 2001 and I seem to recall TO being involved somehow.

I do not think they banned Males, but when they made a change in the early 2000's I was in school and lived on a floor with some of them. They took away their scholarships and support. Before that change, they were on partial scholarships and got some help in the athletic department. They worked out over there as well. Once they made the changes being a cheerleader was just not as enticing.

One of my buddies wanted to be a male cheerleader at UNL, but they had discontinued the program. He went on to become a male nurse and then eventually, a Catholic priest.

Make of that what you will, but the guy is straight as an arrow.
I've got a bridge in Arizona I'll sell you. :Biggrin:

Male cheerleaders are back

Question is, can any one of them play offensive line and block on extra points and field goal attempts?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back