• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Looking back at T-Mart

Where did I say I hated TMart?
How about here?
Which is why we have sucked since Crouch.
or here?
He was a running back playing QB. He made horrible decisions and threw inconsistent passes. He could never make it at QB for Frost.
or maybe here.
He would never have been on the current staffs radar.
None of those quotes on their own indicate hate. But last I checked. 1+1+1 still equals three.

Last edited:
How about here?

or here?

or maybe here.

None of those quotes on their own indicate hate. But last I checked. 1+1+1 still equals three.
Do you ever tire of being wrong? Your posting indicates that you don't.

None of that equals hate. College football players aren't important enough in the grand scheme of things to hate them over their play.

And being a turnover machine and poor decision making are glaring deficiencies for a QB, even in your rose-colored world.

Taylor Martinez was electric when he was a rFR up until he was injured against Missouri. He should have not played any more that year if he wasn't at least 90% healthy. He was never quite the same after the injury. He lost something. His throwing motion wasn't great before the injury, but it got really bad after. He was compensating for the injury.

The same was true of Bobby Newcombe also. He lost his nerve after he was hurt. He became hesitant.

Taylor Martinez was electric when he was a rFR up until he was injured against Missouri. He should have not played any more that year if he wasn't at least 90% healthy. He was never quite the same after the injury. He lost something. His throwing motion wasn't great before the injury, but it got really bad after. He was compensating for the injury.

The same was true of Bobby Newcombe also. He lost his nerve after he was hurt. He became hesitant.
Man, I think you should go back and look at some of his games. Michigan St and NW games come to mind. He had a solid career.

He was a running back playing QB. He made horrible decisions and threw inconsistent passes. He could never make it at QB for Frost.

Most teams that were recruiting him, wanted him to play Safety if I remember correctly. He came to Nebraska because we were literally the only team recruiting him that agreed to let him play QB. Bo and his staff looked like geniuses for doing that sometimes and other times, it looked like a horrible decision. Just the way he was as a player ... streaky.

I could see SF and his staff maybe recruiting TM as a WR and tell him to just go deep because his straight line speed was crazy fast. Whether he had the hands for WR or not, who knows.

Most teams that were recruiting him, wanted him to play Safety if I remember correctly. He came to Nebraska because we were literally the only team recruiting him that agreed to let him play QB. Bo and his staff looked like geniuses for doing that sometimes and other times, it looked like a horrible decision. Just the way he was a player ... streaky.

I think SF and his staff would maybe recruit TM as a WR and tell him to just go deep because his straight line speed was crazy fast.

Most teams that were recruiting him, wanted him to play Safety if I remember correctly. He came to Nebraska because we were literally the only team recruiting him that agreed to let him play QB. Bo and his staff looked like geniuses for doing that sometimes and other times, it looked like a horrible decision. Just the way he was as a player ... streaky.

I could see SF and his staff maybe recruiting TM as a WR and tell him to just go deep because his straight line speed was crazy fast. Whether he had the hands for WR or not, who knows.

Some of your best blow outs happen because you have more than one style of player that takes over a game. I've had some mediocre guys really step up in big games, but very few. However, I've seen some guys I've considered journeymen, the really mediocre across the board yet talented in some distinct way, that literally had games of their lives against mid-level teams which allowed the stars to enjoy the game from the sideline. You need the stars to carry you through big games (if you're going to win, because it is never a sure result) and the rest of the team to carry you through the low points of the season. It's a long season. If the stars give all their effort against mid-level teams they have no gas against the really good ones. That's where I hated sitting back and simply accepting head coaches like Solich and Pelini (that rode a small group of talent through the whole season) as status quo. It was hard to stomach big game losses knowing full well they would fade in big games from having stunted team depth. Some of you here loved Crouch because he pounded the stats, but I didn't share the love. While Bobby Newcombe didn't have the personal talent, he was running a much deeper game plan that involved far more players. Newcombe gave us a better opportunity in big games, whereas Crouch was prone to let the team live and die on himself. How do you recruit his teammates to improve the future when its a one-man show? You cannot. And Nebraska's brand predictably suffered. And when Solich had Lord pretty much do the same gameplan - only better - we were irreversibly depleted in talent at that point.

Last edited:
Some of your best blow outs happen because you have more than one style of player that takes over a game. I've had some mediocre guys really step up in big games, but very few. However, I've seen some guys I've considered journeymen, the really mediocre across the board yet talented in some distinct way, that literally had games of their lives against mid-level teams which allowed the stars to enjoy the game from the sideline. You need the stars to carry you through big games (if you're going to win, because it is never a sure result) and the rest of the team to carry you through the low points of the season. It's a long season. If the stars give all their effort against mid-level teams they have no gas against the really good ones. That's where I hated sitting back and simply accepting head coaches like Solich and Pelini (that rode a small group of talent through the whole season) as status quo. It was hard to stomach big game losses knowing full well they would fade in big games from having stunted team depth. Some of you here loved Crouch because he pounded the stats, but I didn't share the love. While Bobby Newcombe didn't have the personal talent, he was running a much deeper game plan that involved far more players. Newcombe gave us a better opportunity in big games, whereas Crouch was prone to let the team live and die on himself. How do you recruit his teammates to improve the future when its a one-man show? You cannot. And Nebraska's brand predictably suffered. And when Solich had Lord pretty much do the same gameplan - only better - we were irreversibly depleted in talent at that point.

Before Newcombe was injured I completely agree. After not so much.

Before Newcombe was injured I completely agree. After not so much.
Pretty much. But I'm biased for preference to team players over one-man shows. As much as LP was a one-man wrecking ball, he was a team player. If Crouch had been more balanced helping teammates succeed then I would have been a fan.

Pretty much. But I'm biased for preference to team players over one-man shows. As much as LP was a one-man wrecking ball, he was a team player. If Crouch had been more balanced helping teammates succeed then I would have been a fan.

Not sure that was Crouch's issue. Unfortunately, Solich wasn't the kind of OC and play caller that Osborne was (who was really?), and he got himself into holes pretty often.

My view of watching the two of them was that Crouch was far more likely to move the chains in Solich's offense at that time than Newcombe, but that Newcombe might produce a more inconsistent outcome, but with some potential for longer passes, etc. Maybe if we'd had more talent around Newcombe he would have been a better choice, but for what we had and the system Solich was running, Crouch was the better choice, IMO.

Back to T-Mart. Anyone know what he's up to? Last I heard he was developing mobile apps and working on a real estate career.

Saw an article that listed the injuries that blew up the Eagles signing -- apparently, he'd separated his non-throwing shoulder against Wyoming of his senior year (but didn't realize it and played through it), and he tore a ligament in his left foot in the same game -- Wyoming was the home opener in 2013. Knew he was beaten up that year, but sounds like it was worse than we thought.

Also, didn't he have some younger half-siblings... wonder how fast they are? ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back