• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Klein v. Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.
All comes down to who ESPN wants to endorse, statistics is a small part of it, IMO. They still give Matt Barkely all kinds of pub. A team who was supposed to be all world, preseason #1, they can't admit they are wrong, so they keep shoving it down our necks! Like when UCLA beat them, they were the higher rated team. ESPN upset alert, U$C in trouble!

GBR

I remember when Barkley first arrived on campus as a freshman. He damn near had his own television show on ESPN before he took a snap against D-1 competition. Being compared to Joe Montana, John Elway, etc......and projecting he would win the Heisman maybe twice before he was to graduate.:rolleyes: The man crush was disgusting. And irritating.

Last edited:

How much support for post season awards, for Taylor Martinez, can be expected when you find comments on one of the most popular Husker fan based bulletin boards like (and I quote), "He's terrible." If his own fan base can't support him, how can we expect others to do so.

I'm actually fairly suprised that TMart isn't getting any attention at all. Not saying he should get an invite, but He's put up the best overall numbers in his career, has led NU to historic comebacks, and is ranked in the top 15. If NU wins out, they'll be ranked in the top 10 in the final BCS standings. It's crazy, but his best season has really gone unoticed up to this point. Maybe that changes with a national TV game Friday and a potential CCG. Plus, it's not like anyone else has seperated themselves in the race. It would be different if there were two guys who were clearly in front of everyone (like in 1997 when Ahman Green had zero Heisman hype despite 1800+ yards and 22 touchdowns, but was clearly behind Manning and Woodson).

Last edited:
How much support for post season awards, for Taylor Martinez, can be expected when you find comments on one of the most popular Husker fan based bulletin boards like (and I quote), "He's terrible." If his own fan base can't support him, how can we expect others to do so.

Let's not generalize too far with the RP quotes.

edit: don't confuse concern about inconsistent play with lack of support. He is the Husker quarterback and he has my support. Martinez has also improved markedly over last year. Some of us believe that he has the potential to get better and are not going to ignore the mistakes that turn into points for the opposition, which necessitates the great comebacks we have seen. (We've also seen the blowouts that occur when the hole is dug too deep or the comeback fails to happen.)

Last edited:

edit: don't confuse concern about inconsistent play with lack of support. He is the Husker quarterback and he has my support. Martinez has also improved markedly over last year. Some of us believe that he has the potential to get better and are not going to ignore the mistakes that turn into points for the opposition, which necessitates the great comebacks we have seen. (We've also seen the blowouts that occur when the hole is dug too deep or the comeback fails to happen.)
The quote I used was in the extreme of those who have chosen to emphasize the negatives that TM has exhibited and, for the most part, ignore the positive like those posted in the original post. ALL QBs have those "not so shiny" moments but for some reason those are points of great consternation for the squeaky wheels - those who continually are overly critical of the program/coaches/players - on HM. That is my opinion Doc, like it or not, I find that kind of stuff a negative when it comes to consideration for post season awards. If a fan base chooses to do this then why would you expect someone on the outside, lookin in. to do so?

And please, please don't come at me with the kool aid/lack of reality crap. That is old and lame if you have read any of my posts.

Last edited:
The quote I used was in the extreme of those who have chosen to emphasize the negatives that TM has exhibited and, for the most part, ignore the positive like those posted in the original post. ALL QBs have those "not so shiny" moments but for some reason those are points of great consternation for the squeaky wheels - those who continually are overly critical of the program/coaches/players - on HM. That is my opinion Doc, like it or not, I find that kind of stuff a negative when it comes to consideration for post season awards. If a fan base chooses to do this then why would you expect someone on the outside, lookin in. to do so?

And please, please don't come at me with the kool aid/lack of reality crap. That is old and lame if you have read any of my posts.

Your opinion is valid, but I'm not knocking koolaid. We all need some koolaid every once in a while.

but what people don't talk about is the other part of the teams mistakes before Martinez's. I can remember two interceptions were made because we were in long yard situations after we had a first down or huge gain called back due to holding, PF, or things like three false starts in a row.... Yeah he makes mistakes, the fumble in the red zone last week, for example, but a lot of why we have to come back has nothing to do with him.

Kansas State's offense produces way less than Nebraska's does, so Collin Klein's stats represent a larger proportion of the total output. That's always going to stand out more than if you took the same stats that somebody else put up in an offense that also had about 600 or 700 more yards in production. Taylor Martinez is doing a good job this year but will probably not garner individual recognition/Heisman (outside of knocking down school records and earning conference player of the week honors) talk that guys like Klein or Braxton Miller will.

but what people don't talk about is the other part of the teams mistakes before Martinez's. I can remember two interceptions were made because we were in long yard situations after we had a first down or huge gain called back due to holding, PF, or things like three false starts in a row.... Yeah he makes mistakes, the fumble in the red zone last week, for example, but a lot of why we have to come back has nothing to do with him.

I have seen PLENTY of talk on this board about the team's (as a whole) mistakes. The discipline problem isn't just TM and I don't think anybody would or has suggested that.

OU won by 1 point at WVU by scoring in the last minute. It's a tough place to play.

Maybe so, but WVU still isn't any good. OU, IMO, also isn't that great this year. They also struggled at UTEP and got clowned at home by ND.

Last edited:

Klein wasn't even the best QB or player in their game against Baylor last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back