• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kevin Warren on his way out???

Yea that was my question when I saw that headline. Is this a step up? A move to a better fit? Makes you wonder why now with the new media rights deal and expansion underway. Just seems odd timing unless it is a bigger/better job.
Maybe he's being "encouraged".

I'm not as anti KW as many are, but if he is looking around he needs to be shown the door. This is a critical time for the Big Ten and college football as a whole. We do not need someone with one foot out the door running the conference in these changing times.

A bigger question is does the Big Ten have someone lined up to take his place? Delaney (Warren's predecessor) was outstanding. Are one of these capable of stepping up? Is there an outside person, like Warren, on the radar of the Big Ten? I am sure the organizational development efforts have some of that preliminary work in place.

1672416210611.png

If there is not an internal candidate would someone like Gene Smith be a candidate? Would we want someone like Gene Smith?

Delaney worked for the NCAA prior to being commissioner of the Ohio Valley conference before being appointed B1G Ten commissioner in 1989.

Last edited:
I bigger question is does the Big Ten have someone lined up to take his place? Delaney (Warren's predecessor) was outstanding. Are one of these capable of stepping up? Is there an outside person, like Warren, on the radar of the Big Ten? I am sure the organizational development efforts have some of that preliminary work in place.

View attachment 92431

If there is not an internal candidate would someone like Gene Smith be a candidate? Would we want someone like Gene Smith?

Delaney worked for the NCAA prior to being commissioner of the Ohio Valley conference before being appointed B1G Ten commissioner in 1989.

Interesting question.

Looking at their titles and what I assume their duties/roles would be, I don’t know if there is a logical successor on the list.

Though I think the positions power is somewhat limited by the member schools, especially Michigan and Ohio State, I’d almost like it to be someone from outside the conference take over. Maybe fewer prejudices and backs to scratch?

I’m not sure the president of the Chicago Bears is a better job than being the BIG Commissioner? I’d say he’d be more likely to be fired with the Bears than he would with the BIG. No idea about the money, but team presidents in sports get fired all the time.
shhhhhhhhhhh!! Encourage him..hell he came from from the NFL

Good riddance - with the only downside being I'm a Bears fan... He was worse than useless during COVID.
Yep being a Bears fan and a Husker fan has been painful for many many years. Oh and there are the Cubs. So i have all that going for me and my new neighbor on one side is a Packers/Wisconsin fan and the other is a Michigan fan. God i hope MR brings the Huskers back soon.

Yep being a Bears fan and a Husker fan has been painful for many many years. Oh and there are the Cubs. So i have all that going for me and my new neighbor on one side is a Packers/Wisconsin fan and the other is a Michigan fan. God i hope MR brings the Huskers back soon.
I feel your pain for the Wisconsin and Michigan fan ... but being a Bears and Cubs fan is a choice not a calling like Nebraska! :Biggrin:

A bigger question is does the Big Ten have someone lined up to take his place? Delaney (Warren's predecessor) was outstanding. Are one of these capable of stepping up? Is there an outside person, like Warren, on the radar of the Big Ten? I am sure the organizational development efforts have some of that preliminary work in place.

I'll be surprised if the next B1G Commish is a he/him. Maybe Diana Sabau has an inside track, but who knows.

I'll be surprised if the next B1G Commish is a he/him. Maybe Diana Sabau has an inside track, but who knows.
I do think the university presidents, who are responsible for the B1G Commissioner are a woke set of managers and a person of color or a female will given priority.

I am more concerned that Barry Alvarez was brought into the commissioner office as a "consultant" and will have a shot despite his age.

I do think the university presidents, who are responsible for the B1G Commissioner are a woke set of managers and a person of color or a female will given priority.

I am more concerned that Barry Alvarez was brought into the commissioner office as a "consultant" and will have a shot despite his age.
Yeah, I would prefer the B1G looks at the landscape and ID a commissioner from another conference who has a proven track record vs an insider, especially someone with strong ties to a specific school within the conference (Smith, Alvarez, etc).

I’m not sure the president of the Chicago Bears is a better job than being the BIG Commissioner? I’d say he’d be more likely to be fired with the Bears than he would with the BIG. No idea about the money, but team presidents in sports get fired all the time.
Comissioner of a power 5 conference, especially recently and in the near future, is or should be a much bigger job than president of an nfl club. Not even close. Not clear what it would mean if he moves, especially because it could be for family or personal reasons, but it wouldn't be the expected path for an ambitious and capable leader.

Last edited:
Just looked up the espn story on this. It mentions Warren isn't scheduled to go to either playoff game. That seems incredibly strange to me. It even seems strange if he IS planning to leave.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back