• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Just a pitt stop for Frost?

Most people understand that an outsider going to a mid-major is almost always engaging in lip service when they say they plan to stay long term.

Thank you, Sir! I noticed that you made a contribution to the OP instead of calling someone an idiot. I like it! And I agree with your well-stated comment.

SF getting a call from a marquee program like LSU after one year at UCF is improbable, but if it did happen, and SF accepted, I don't think anyone would view him as a scoundrel. I am sure 99.9% of all coaches in a position like SF's would accept the LSU job. I would imagine SF's assistants would push him to accept.

Last edited:

I would assume that we could all agree there is an element of 'ego' for most big time program head coaches. Scott Frost is probably no different and that is not meant as a slam. What if Scott's ego is telling him that he could make this program 'his'. George O'Leary showed you can win here, the recruits are there the only thing missing is a P5 conference affiliation. If Scott wins at UCF I think other conferences go after UCF and if that is the case I don't think Scott would need to leave. P5 Conference, recruits all over the campus and most of all Scott's ego is fullfilled by building a program.

Just a theory. And he needs to win first.

George O'Leary showed you can win here, the recruits are there the only thing missing is a P5 conference affiliation. If Scott wins at UCF I think other conferences go after UCF and if that is the case I don't think Scott would need to leave. P5 Conference, recruits all over the campus and most of all Scott's ego is fullfilled by building a program.

Just a theory. And he needs to win first.

I agree. If UCF gets into a P5 conference SF will most likely stay at UCF. He won't need to go to LSU to pursue the creation of a dynasty, if that's what his ego desires.

I already said that in post #8

I think that SF honestly believes that UCF has unlimited potential, but that potential will be hard to realize if UCF does not get into a P5 conference. If UCF gets into the ACC or Big 12, I think there is a great chance that he will stay until he retires.

I get the impression that SF wants to blaze his own trail...that turning UCF from an afterthought to the next Florida State would be the preferred career path for him...the Bob Father of UCF. But it will definitely be easier for him if UCF becomes a P5 member. The ACC would be the best P5 fit for UCF. UCF would have instant rivalries with FSU and Miami.

Yes, I think SF would like to make UCF his final coaching destination, but if Go5 status holds him back, he might look elsewhere. I'd bet the list teams he would be willing to coach is very short. LSU would probably be on the list.

Last edited:
Most people understand that an outsider going to a mid-major is almost always engaging in lip service when they say they plan to stay long term.
Sad for most people, I guess. For some of us, our word is our bond.

If SF can truly turn UCF's program into a giant killer he'll be able to write his own ticket. Nothing against UCF but they are many years away from having the cachet of the top programs like Bama, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, etc. That takes years to develop as evidenced by Boise State. They've been a good program for a lot of years but you notice they lost their coach to Washington?

SF could of course fool everyone and simply stay put if the money is there. These guys don't coach for their health.........

If SF can truly turn UCF's program into a giant killer he'll be able to write his own ticket. Nothing against UCF but they are many years away from having the cachet of the top programs like Bama, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, etc. That takes years to develop as evidenced by Boise State. They've been a good program for a lot of years but you notice they lost their coach to Washington?

SF could of course fool everyone and simply stay put if the money is there. These guys don't coach for their health.........

Hard to compare Boise St. and UCF. I don't think a coach has to work near as hard in central Florida compared to Boise Idaho to get the same results. Boise has been losing coaches for years starting with I believe Dan Hawkins :)Lol:). Boise will never be on the same level as UCF once/if they start winning.

Hard to compare Boise St. and UCF. I don't think a coach has to work near as hard in central Florida compared to Boise Idaho to get the same results. Boise has been losing coaches for years starting with I believe Dan Hawkins :)Lol:). Boise will never be on the same level as UCF once/if they start winning.
Hawk was there for 5 years and Peterson 8 years. That's reasonably stable using todays tenure for a lot of programs. Boise has been extremely successful the past 13 years while both coaches left for more notable schools. Peterson kept turning down offers until he got what he wanted. I also believe he was BRAINS behind Hawk who cratered at the sCUm.

All I'm suggesting is I believe it would take many years to build UCF into a program with the status of the well known top programs. Boise beat some of big boys and won year after year. It's still not recognized as anything close to a blue blood program. Don't care how many games Boise wins because it will take many years to move up into that elevated status.

Might not be fair but to me it's like calling a coach "GREAT" when they haven't been a HC at least 15 or 20 years. We've seen plenty of coaches become the "hot" coach (Charlie Strong as example) then fade away. Winning (A LOT) over a long time period might elevate a coach to great status at least for me.

Botton line SF might well stay at UCF for an extended time period or might bolt if after 3 or 4 years he's built a good program there. Would be extremely difficult to turn down say HC at Oregon or Nebraska to stay at UCF...........

Last edited:
Hawk was there for 5 years and Peterson 8 years. That's reasonably stable using todays tenure for a lot of programs. Boise has been extremely successful the past 13 years while both coaches left for more notable schools. Peterson kept turning down offers until he got what he wanted. I also believe he was BRAINS behind Hawk who cratered at the sCUm.

All I'm suggesting is I believe it would take many years to build UCF into a program with the status of the well known top programs. Boise beat some of big boys and won year after year. It's still not recognized as anything close to a blue blood program. Don't care how many games Boise wins because it will take many years to move up into that elevated status.

Might not be fair but to me it's like calling a coach "GREAT" when they haven't been a HC at least 15 or 20 years. We've seen plenty of coaches become the "hot" coach (Charlie Strong as example) then fade away. Winning (A LOT) over a long time period might elevate a coach to great status at least for me.

Botton line SF might well stay at UCF for an extended time period or might bolt if after 3 or 4 years he's built a good program there. Would be extremely difficult to turn down say HC at Oregon or Nebraska to stay at UCF...........

Can't argue with any of that. I do agree that Peterson was the brains behind Hawkins.

Can't argue with any of that. I do agree that Peterson was the brains behind Hawkins.
I thought it was so funny how the sCUm got completely fooled by Hawk!! There were all sorts of talk out of Colorado how they would be NEXT big power in the B12... wonder how that worked out for them? ;)

Lots of people would blame him for leaving UCF one year after arriving there. He came to UCF with a lot of words about making the program better and having a long-term vision for the program's future. Those words become hollow if he leaves that early.

And future programs will look at that behavior and say, "What if he says he'll come to our program for three years, and we bank all of our time, money, and resources on that, but he leaves us after one year, too"?
Rarely, does anyone anymore, in sports, mean what they say publicly. Talk is just that, talk. Ask Kevin Durant. It's just words.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back