• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JUCO Recruiting

How many of these offers are to guys who can enroll in January? If many of them are not arriving till May would be more of a 'red flag' for me ...
Probably true but at some point you want guys you want, not guys who graduate at a certain time. Deandre Butler is a May graduate we only offered a month or so ago, but we want him every day of the week.

Personally, I think SF has done quite well with JUCO's in his two signed classes so far... patching holes with some plug & play type players - quite a few JC's in his 2018 class (Honas, DWilliams, MWilliams, Woodyard, Bell)... & more particular in 2019 (Mills) + a couple quality transfer portal players (Noa & Daniels). Their use of JUCOs & the Transfer Portal has been good to date -> I'd expect more of it this cycle as well.

I like that they go after the top HS guys (& aim quite high) ... perhaps a willingness to wait too long/not reading tarot cards or indications properly for decisions and/or losing ground with plan B/A- options has been an issue - at least it appears that way from the outside looking in (pure speculation on my part).

If certain '21 & '22 prospects are looking promising, JC's certainly offer a stop gap to fill a position.

Our LB/OLB recruiting (outside NE) has struggled mightily... so much so, I wouldn't mind a reach or two in this class.

GBR!!

You think Frost has "done quite well" with his juco additions? Will Jackson, Jaron Woodyard, Mike Williams and Greg Bell were various levels of busts.

Deontai Williams has impressed, but has been injured this year so who knows with him. Two of his three years have been used up with him not making an impact, at minimum. Will Honas has been a serviceable starter at best. Same with Dedrick Mills. Jakheem Green is still a question mark.

These four could still all be major contributors next year, but as of now, nobody Frost has brought in has been a major difference maker IMO.

How many of these offers are to guys who can enroll in January? If many of them are not arriving till May would be more of a 'red flag' for me ...

A few of them are four to play three guys, which is nice. Those guys are pretty coveted for that reason alone. Imagine if Deontai Williams wasn't a three to play three guy. What a waste that'd have been.

You think Frost has "done quite well" with his juco additions? Will Jackson, Jaron Woodyard, Mike Williams and Greg Bell were various levels of busts.

Sure, optimism is rare around here of late, but Woodyard & Williams have each met or exceeded McQuitty or KJJr's DONU output & combined for more than the three '17 scholarship WR's combined (6 catches vs. 5 for JMcQ, KJJr & Tyjon Lindsey), so I still contend they're less of a bust than their highly touted predecessors, plus they're both seniors & their scholies will be open yet again. JUCO's are certainly high risk, WJ is a case & point, but the way the Bland situation was handled seemed prudent. Wasn't lauding SF's success - major contributors are your words - not mine, but at least these folks are contributors.
So, yes - I'm pleased with SF's eye for transfers & JUCO's to fill immediate needs - up to this point at least.

Last edited:
what concerns me is frost has taken 4-5 juco's since his arrival and not one has contributed meaningfully so why would we think he is going to improve his batting average???

Just save the scholarships and hope he can recruit better talent in 2021
Deontai Williams prior to his injury and I think Mike Williams has been under-utilized. Honas has been a mixed bag, but the injury last year seems to have slowed him a little. And of course, Dedrick Mills.

Last edited:
It would be very interesting if Greg Bell would have stuck around. He would be getting a ton of carries right now.

Sure, optimism is rare around here of late, but Woodyard & Williams have each met or exceeded McQuitty or KJJr's DONU output & combined for more than the three '17 scholarship WR's combined (6 catches vs. 5 for JMcQ, KJJr & Tyjon Lindsey), so I still contend they're less of a bust than their highly touted predecessors, plus they're both seniors & their scholies will be open yet again. JUCO's are certainly high risk, WJ is a case & point, but the way the Bland situation was handled seemed prudent. Wasn't lauding SF's success - major contributors are your words - not mine, but at least these folks are contributors.
So, yes - I'm pleased with SF's eye for transfers & JUCO's to fill immediate needs - up to this point at least.

Wow. You're reaching hard to justify Woodyard and Williams. Essentially, they're less busts than non-Frost HS busts? Alrighty then. If that makes you feel better.

Wow. You're reaching hard to justify Woodyard and Williams. Essentially, they're less busts than non-Frost HS busts? Alrighty then. If that makes you feel better.
understand it's pretentious of me to venture into the realm of the recruiting forum ...
just saying there's gray area between Boom & Bust

Last edited:
As far as JUCOS and transfers, I haven't seen much production either way. That what really bothers me! But in my eye, we have not seen the High Schoolers flock to the DONU either and unless you are going to fill up on your third and fourth guys on the list, transfers, and JUCOs may be the way to go. The development of players has been shaky at best so far. I can name maybe half a dozen guys that sell themselves out each and every play.... the kids just "ain't gettin' it" at least as far I'm concerned. N2FL mentioned attrition, I could almost expect a purging if it doesn't get better in the last 3 games.

Yesterday, Nebraska offered East Mississippi CC OLB/SS Kevontae' Ruggs, who is an Ole Miss bounceback.

I'd make this kid one of my priority juco targets. IMPO, he was a four-star talent in the 2018 class. He played in 11 games (3 starts) as a true freshman for the Rebels and was considered one of their stars of the future on defense. Transferred in May.

Built a lot like Myles Farmer. He could stand to gain 15 pounds, but he's long, athletic and explosive. Would be a good fit in the role Domann plays. JMPO, but Held and Nebraska should try and move quickly and aggressively here.

Yesterday, Nebraska offered East Mississippi CC OLB/SS Kevontae' Ruggs, who is an Ole Miss bounceback.

I'd make this kid one of my priority juco targets. IMPO, he was a four-star talent in the 2018 class. He played in 11 games (3 starts) as a true freshman for the Rebels and was considered one of their stars of the future on defense. Transferred in May.

Built a lot like Myles Farmer. He could stand to gain 15 pounds, but he's long, athletic and explosive. Would be a good fit in the role Domann plays. JMPO, but Held and Nebraska should try and move quickly and aggressively here.
Kevontae' Ruggs is a stud, brother of Alabama receiver Henry Ruggs III. Watched both of them play a bunch in high school in Montgomery, would be a great addition to the class. Friends with Cam Taylor-Britt. Would be great to continue to build the inroads into the Montgomery area, lots of talent here. Kendrick Simpkins is a 3-star DB from Lee HS who NU has offered. Some studs at Prattville that have received Power 5 offers including Ian Jackson 2021 6'3" 220lb OLB/S who has offers from Iowa and Indiana as well as Louisville and West Virginia and 2022 Dominick James, 6'3 270lb DE/DT with offers from Auburn and Tennessee among others including West Virginia.

Last edited:
Another intriguing JUCO offer to Maureese Wren out of Tyler JC. Was actually offered as a WR by Riley and his staff back in the '18 class. Nebraska likes him as a OLB, but some schools are actually liking him as an H-back. I like this kids potential. Good offer.

Another intriguing JUCO offer to Maureese Wren out of Tyler JC. Was actually offered as a WR by Riley and his staff back in the '18 class. Nebraska likes him as a OLB, but some schools are actually liking him as an H-back. I like this kids potential. Good offer.
Are we late getting into these games or do you think we have an actual shot at landing a few?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back