• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JUCO Recruiting

While i don't have exact statistics, I can hardly remember a year in the last ten where even one or more juco players start. So unless we have the purple wizard's ability to see / develop talent then its a waste of scholarship

We had a good run under Pelini with Coach Sims from Fort Scott JUCO - I always thought Pelini should have hired Sims to be his recruiting coordinator. Lavonte David, Hardrick, Kinnie, Jean-Baptiste, and a few others. You can't just go to some JUCO's and get the right guys. You need to know some and have a relationship.. usually kids are there for a reason, so there's a need to figure out which ones will adjust to playing P5 ball

We had a good run under Pelini with Coach Sims from Fort Scott JUCO - I always thought Pelini should have hired Sims to be his recruiting coordinator. Lavonte David, Hardrick, Kinnie, Jean-Baptiste, and a few others. You can't just go to some JUCO's and get the right guys. You need to know some and have a relationship.. usually kids are there for a reason, so there's a need to figure out which ones will adjust to playing P5 ball
Dejon Gomes is another one who was a major contributor.

Care to expound? we are completely underclass heavy right now with the attrition issues. So if they were spread out and helped balance class maybe? I don't study the roster hard enough to have a plan on where I would see them fitting in.

5-6 a year, every year? yeah likely would be a red flag/problem. How many JUCO's have they brought in year 1 and year 2? a high number once might not be a huge issue.

I just mean that 5-6 would be twice what they planned on signing and would signal striking out on their top guys and wanting to fill with juco guys.

I don't see how both linebacker spots aren't carried over into '21 as priority positions of need. They've whiffed hard there this year. A juco guy they're trying to get involved with is Tyrus Wheat out of Co-Lin C.C. He's committed to Mississippi State and originally from Louisiana, so he might be inclined to play in the Southeast. I like him though, he'd be a good juco pickup.

Care to expound? we are completely underclass heavy right now with the attrition issues. So if they were spread out and helped balance class maybe? I don't study the roster hard enough to have a plan on where I would see them fitting in.

5-6 a year, every year? yeah likely would be a red flag/problem. How many JUCO's have they brought in year 1 and year 2? a high number once might not be a huge issue.

As for spacing out the roster, it seems Frost is okay with building from the HS level and letting the roster space out naturally through that tactic over 3-4 classes. It's preferred if you know you're getting the time and patience from the AD to build like that - which is certainly the case with Frost.

Top 50 JUCOs. #2 considering NU!

I don't see it that way. 2018 class had a couple of guys, but was a wash more or less. 2019 class I thought was good, but isn't ready.

I'd like to see us recruit the JUCO ranks pretty hard as a way to bridge the gap and fill holes, but beyond that to get the kind of talent that ends up there
The point in bringing in a JUCO is to help now, not give them a year or two to get ready.

The point in bringing in a JUCO is to help now, not give them a year or two to get ready.
what concerns me is frost has taken 4-5 juco's since his arrival and not one has contributed meaningfully so why would we think he is going to improve his batting average???

Just save the scholarships and hope he can recruit better talent in 2021

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back