• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jordy Returns

The Eichorst excuse as it relates to Miles rings hollow to me.

Miles struggles to coach competent offense. You expect 5-8 minute dry spells pretty much every night. He can't seem to get a decent big on campus and the ones he does don't really amount to much and leave. Just too much stuff on the court that can't be blamed on the athletic director. Simply put...he is a mediocre coach.

It shouldn’t ring hollow. Culture matters in organizations. The issues within the athletic department permeated all the way down to the players. I know for a fact that the environment created at the top caused personnel issues within our program.

If some of you guys had it your way, Miles would have been canned last year and you would have got another Eichorst hire for 5 years. I also was convinced that Miles wasn’t the guy but was worried about Eichorst. It’s easy to just hop on a soapbox and call for a coach to be fired, but there’s a lot more to it than that. Finding a guy to build a good program here isn’t easy. Hopefully with Moos in place, we can get the program to where we all know it can be, with or without Miles.

Last edited:

That’s not to say Miles isn’t a mediocre coach or shouldn’t be fired. We had to get right up top first. That’s what will make this season so frustrating if we land somewhere in the middle as I predict. You look at overall record and sloppy offensive play and can draw up a pretty good case as to why Miles should be gone. Then you could make a compelling case as to why he should come back after an NIT bid and virtually his whole team coming back on paper.

It shouldn’t ring hollow. Culture matters in organizations. The issues within the athletic department permeated all the way down to the players. I know for a fact that the environment created at the top caused personnel issues within our program.

If some of you guys had it your way, Miles would have been canned last year and you would have got another Eichorst hire for 5 years. I also was convinced that Miles wasn’t the guy but was worried about Eichorst. It’s easy to just hop on a soapbox and call for a coach to be fired, but there’s a lot more to it than that. Finding a guy to build a good program here isn’t easy. Hopefully with Moos in place, we can get the program to where we all know it can be, with or without Miles.

Though I do think if Miles was going to be fired anytime soon, it should have been last year.

I don't think Moos can (nor will) fire Miles after this season.

I tend to think Miles will always hover in the not quite good enough to barely good enough range.

That’s not to say Miles isn’t a mediocre coach or shouldn’t be fired. We had to get right up top first. That’s what will make this season so frustrating if we land somewhere in the middle as I predict. You look at overall record and sloppy offensive play and can draw up a pretty good case as to why Miles should be gone. Then you could make a compelling case as to why he should come back after an NIT bid and virtually his whole team coming back on paper.

I'm of the view that you don't fire Miles unless you're confident you can hit a home run with the replacement. It's clear that we're limited by our history in recruiting head coaches. If Dana Altman decides it is time to come home, by all means, make the change. But if Miles wins 16-18 games this year, and we're going to fire him for another mid-major coach who's made the dance a couple of times, I really don't see the point.

Last edited:

I'm of the view that you don't fire Miles unless you're confident you can hit a home run with the replacement. It's clear that we're limited by our history in recruiting head coaches. If Dana Altman decides it is time to come home, by all means, make the change. But if Miles wins 16-18 games this year, and we're going to fire him for another mid-major coach who's made the dance a couple of times, I really don't see the point.
Tyronn Lue?

Surely I'd rather have moos hire the new guy rather than SE. And the culture may well have been jacked in bball.. but we have concrete examples in football. Id love to hear how SE texased up bball too.

To chi....doesn't matter when NU finally disposes of Miles. They will never get a sure fire hire. It's a crapshoot for NU bball...unless Lue gets the boot?....but NU isnt even a destination job for alums much less anyone else.

Surely I'd rather have moos hire the new guy rather than SE. And the culture may well have been jacked in bball.. but we have concrete examples in football. Id love to hear how SE texased up bball too.

To chi....doesn't matter when NU finally disposes of Miles. They will never get a sure fire hire. It's a crapshoot for NU bball...unless Lue gets the boot?....but NU isnt even a destination job for alums much less anyone else.

Yeah, agreed. Doesn't really even matter how much money we're willing to fork over. Its regarded as a dead end job. If we ever string together a couple of good seasons and win an NCAA game that perception might start to change, but for now I think hiring a replacement would just be more another guy like Collier, Sadler, Miles.

Yeah, agreed. Doesn't really even matter how much money we're willing to fork over. Its regarded as a dead end job. If we ever string together a couple of good seasons and win an NCAA game that perception might start to change, but for now I think hiring a replacement would just be more another guy like Collier, Sadler, Miles.
And sometimes those guys turn out great. NU has just been a little unlucky.

Though I do think if Miles was going to be fired anytime soon, it should have been last year.

I don't think Moos can (nor will) fire Miles after this season.

I tend to think Miles will always hover in the not quite good enough to barely good enough range.

I have been watching Nebraska Basketball forever it seems. It has been ugly to downright unwatchable for more seasons than good seasons. Moos may have a name or two in that desk drawer but for the first time in Miles tenure his team looks 'watchable'. Yes they still have thier 3-5 minute dry spells but the Copeland, Palmer Jr. combo along with good Watson is a nice solid fast moving trio and Roby is coming along. The only cure to getting better is either hire a top notch coach, not likely, or let Miles play out the string a season or two more now that he is getting some better talent to see if he is a .500 coach or can turn it fully around.

Not sure he can even coach? Everyone in the Association knows that Lebron runs the team. Lue is just a figurehead. The college game is so different because you have to recruit and develop players.

I agree with some of this. I would be willing to bet Lue is probably a little better Xs & Os guy. Probably better at team management and knowing where, when, and which strings to pull. Could Lue develop talent in college? Who knows. Miles has developed a couple of guys very well, I would say too many players he hasn’t developed well though. Lue is an NBA guy though, I can’t see him ever coaching here.

If nothing else, Miles has shown that a coach can assemble a fairly talented team at NU in the post-Nee era. He’s done it in a non-traditional way though using transfers. If and when Nebraska does hire a new coach, I’m hoping for someone who can pull decent talent out of high school and develop them. Sprinkling in the occasional transfer is a good thing, but I prefer the more traditional approach.

I agree with some of this. I would be willing to bet Lue is probably a little better Xs & Os guy. Probably better at team management and knowing where, when, and which strings to pull. Could Lue develop talent in college? Who knows. Miles has developed a couple of guys very well, I would say too many players he hasn’t developed well though. Lue is an NBA guy though, I can’t see him ever coaching here.

If nothing else, Miles has shown that a coach can assemble a fairly talented team at NU in the post-Nee era. He’s done it in a non-traditional way though using transfers. If and when Nebraska does hire a new coach, I’m hoping for someone who can pull decent talent out of high school and develop them. Sprinkling in the occasional transfer is a good thing, but I prefer the more traditional approach.

You never know. Lue could eventually end up back at Nebraska. Unlikely, but you never know. I'm sure most people never thought Isiah Thomas would coach at Florida International. I know FIU wasn't his alma mater and he was never a good coach, so the comparison probably isn't the best, but only one I could think of in recent years off the top of my head. His tenure at FIU certainly ended in disaster.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back