• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JD Speilman Is Transfering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another twist that might be even better. Let's say you thought you'd be running the business, but your uncle Scott moved back into town and is handed the keys instead. Dad's gone, and uncle Scott does things differently. You liked the way dad ran things, but not the way uncle Scott runs things. So you go do your own thing. Maybe you take some of your uncle's recipes, but you didn't like most of it anyway. And even though you're competition, Dad, uncle Scott, and even grandpa Herbie appreciate what you've done over the years. Good luck, kid. We're planning on putting you out of business in a year.
:nod:
Does their position change even if you plan to go into business with Ponzi Jr., aka P.J.

Last edited:

:nod:
Does their position change even if you plan to go into business with Ponzi Jr., aka P.J.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see him go to Minnesota... or anywhere but Nebraska, for that matter!

I'd be doing whatever I reasonably could to repair the relationship, but if he truly wants to leave then shake hands and wish him well. He'll regret it when we stomp the Gophers this fall.

Or, say you decide to start a cattle business in a small town, except there's an established cattle business already in town. One day, the established businessman guns down the new guy and kills him. All of the dead guys workers, all teens and early twenties, decide to get deputized to avenge their boss's murder.
I think it's similar to that.
Or let's say you bought a couple of droids to work your uncle's dew farm but one kept running away because some tart put a TikTok vid in it. Let's assume the Jawa's have a slot for R2D2 but they're in the same Farmer's Co-op. Do you slap him like a womp rat even though he's not transferring to Beggar's Canyon?

I hung in there until page 31, but all of the different scenarios lost me. Saw a “droid” reference though. That’s fun.

On the plus side, we’ve made it over 30 pages without a mod having to even step in.

:Woohoo:

Have you ever worked for a company you thought was a fit but later found it was not the right place for you? How long should you stay before you exercise your right to find another employer?
Yes, I've been in that situation more than once. But I've always felt a commitment to my position. When I've realized it's time to find something else, I've always tried to complete my current projects, as well as putting a "turnover plan" in place for the next guy who ended up taking my job.

I realize most career situations are a bit different from a college football team. I can understand a player wanting to transfer:
- if a new coach comes in who clearly is not going to give him a chance,
- if a family emergency requires moving closer to home,
- if he's a QB way down on the depth chart, and the only way he'll ever see the field is to transfer,
- etc.

But I would be more understanding if a guy was new and didn't have any deep ties to the team, and wanted to transfer out. When you're about to be a senior, about to break all the existing records for your position, and ought to be a leader on the team, I feel that requires a deeper commitment to stick it out. Now, I don't want to judge JD's specific situation, since I have zero knowledge of what he's going through. If he's going through some mental health issues, etc. he needs to do what's best for his own health.

I'm just speaking in general terms, when I say there needs to be a stronger commitment to the TEAM from kids in general. And that philosophy extends to coaches as well. I have no respect for the Petrino / Bielema / Schnellenberger / Urban -esque method of jumping to the next rung on the ladder every time an opportunity comes up, with no consideration for the players. Respect is worthy for coaches who are committed to their players, like TO choosing not to take the CU job, and Bo and SF sticking with their teams through the bowl games, even when they had new HC jobs elsewhere.

Whole different debate but I will bite. First I only changed jobs when forced to do so. I left the Corps when my knees no longer allowed me to stay. I have never been fired but I have been laid off. I stuck things out even when I did not have a great boss. In large companies bosses are temporary.

There are restrictions on coaches they are just not always enacted. Coaches sign a contract. Prior to talking to potential new employers they must get permission from the institution they signed the contract with. People sign non compete clauses at companies all the time. Especially senior management. Now if they are fired sure they can go wherever.

All that being said. I am all for giving a player 365 days to transfer without penalty to wherever if the head coach is fired or leaves.
^^^
What he said!

Or, say you decide to start a cattle business in a small town, except there's an established cattle business already in town. One day, the established businessman guns down the new guy and kills him. All of the dead guys workers, all teens and early twenties, decide to get deputized to avenge their boss's murder.
I think it's similar to that.
I'm confused. We still talkin' about football?

:wow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back