• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JD Speilman Is Transfering

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it's chicken sh#t when a coach for whatever reasons loses a player then tries to block a transfer-future opponent or not. It's JD's life and we restrict student athletes enough that we shouldn't be dictating where they can or cannot compete or finish their education. We both know that Nebraska has benefited from transfers and we shouldn't play the victim card when the shoe is on the other foot.
Agree!

I don't look at him as running away from home, as you said earlier. Think of it this way instead...

Your family has run a business for generations. You're in line to take over the family business, but you have an opportunity to do something that you feel is a better opportunity. You fight a little with your family, but in the end it's your decision to go do something different... even if your entire family still thinks it's the wrong move. Forcing you to stay isn't going to make anyone happy, so you wish him well and move on with trying to make your business the best it can be.
Excellent.

I thought I was keeping up with this thread; I look away for 5 minutes and there's 10 more pages of posts.

Putting aside for a minute whether JD should or shouldn't transfer, whether he should be allowed to transfer to a B1G school, etc.

My bottom line is, I just don't like transfers. Period. Sure, I'm a hypocritical homer; I like it when good players transfer in... just not when our guys leave.

I just believe that when you make a commitment to something -- anything -- you stick with it. Even if you find out you made the wrong choice. My word and my integrity are more important than "what's best for ME". Maybe subconsciously, that's the underlying concept that gets under our skin when a young man that we've placed all our hopes on decides the grass is greener on the other side.

That's also a lesson that "kids today" aren't learning when they're free to transfer whenever the wind changes direction.

Last edited:
I thought I was keeping up with this thread; I look away for 5 minutes and there's 10 more pages of posts.

Putting aside for a minute whether JD should or shouldn't transfer, whether he should be allowed to transfer to a B1G school, etc.

My bottom line is, I just don't like transfers. Period. Sure, I'm a hypocritical homer; I like it when good players transfer in... just not when our guys leave.

I just believe that when you make a commitment to something -- anything -- you stick with it. Even if you find out you made the wrong choice. My word and my integrity are more important than "what's best for ME". Maybe subconsciously, that's the underlying concept that gets under our skin when a young man that we've placed all our hopes on decides the grass is greener on the other side.

Have you ever changed jobs before for whatever reason? The fact that there are limitations on players transferring but no limitations at all on coaches leaving is the problem for me. There is nothing stopping Scott Frost from taking another job in the Big 10 West, so why should there be any limitations on JD Spielman?

Have you ever changed jobs before for whatever reason? The fact that there are limitations on players transferring but no limitations at all on coaches leaving is the problem for me. There is nothing stopping Scott Frost from taking another job in the Big 10 West, so why should there be any limitations on JD Spielman?
Whole different debate but I will bite. First I only changed jobs when forced to do so. I left the Corps when my knees no longer allowed me to stay. I have never been fired but I have been laid off. I stuck things out even when I did not have a great boss. In large companies bosses are temporary.

There are restrictions on coaches they are just not always enacted. Coaches sign a contract. Prior to talking to potential new employers they must get permission from the institution they signed the contract with. People sign non compete clauses at companies all the time. Especially senior management. Now if they are fired sure they can go wherever.

All that being said. I am all for giving a player 365 days to transfer without penalty to wherever if the head coach is fired or leaves.

Whole different debate but I will bite. First I only changed jobs when forced to do so. I left the Corps when my knees no longer allowed me to stay. I have never been fired but I have been laid off. I stuck things out even when I did not have a great boss. In large companies bosses are temporary.

There are restrictions on coaches they are just not always enacted. Coaches sign a contract. Prior to talking to potential new employers they must get permission from the institution they signed the contract with. People sign non compete clauses at companies all the time. Especially senior management. Now if they are fired sure they can go wherever.

All that being said. I am all for giving a player 365 days to transfer without penalty to wherever if the head coach is fired or leaves.

Most people have changed jobs voluntarily at least once in their life. You have to do what's best for you and your family in the end.
As far as restrictions on coaches, there really aren't any. Do you really think coaches get permission before talking to new employers? If that were the case, you'd rarely see coaches take new jobs. You think Mississippi State gave Dan Mullen permission to talk to Florida? Even if there are buyouts or other penalties in the contract, the new school just pays those on behalf of the coach, so there is no punitive action against coaches leaving. Until that changes, I have ZERO problem with players transferring within conference, as much as I will hate JD Spielman possibly playing for Minnesota.

That's also a lesson that "kids today" aren't learning when they're free to transfer whenever the wind changes direction.
Have you ever worked for a company you thought was a fit but later found it was not the right place for you? How long should you stay before you exercise your right to find another employer?

Last edited:

Consider yourself very unique in that you have not felt the need to change jobs by your own free will, this doesn't automatically make you some pillar of morality. Most people for whatever reason make a couple of changes in their lifetime. With that said I have been with the same company for over 25 years. Why shouldn't a young adult be free to make the same choice millions of other people do. Personally I wouldn't stay with an employer I was miserable at for any amount of money and it could certainly be deducted that JD was miserable at Nebraska-I don't know this for a fact but it appears to be the case.

Most people have changed jobs voluntarily at least once in their life. You have to do what's best for you and your family in the end.
As far as restrictions on coaches, there really aren't any. Do you really think coaches get permission before talking to new employers? If that were the case, you'd rarely see coaches take new jobs. You think Mississippi State gave Dan Mullen permission to talk to Florida? Even if there are buyouts or other penalties in the contract, the new school just pays those on behalf of the coach, so there is no punitive action against coaches leaving. Until that changes, I have ZERO problem with players transferring within conference, as much as I will hate JD Spielman possibly playing for Minnesota.
Most ADs will contact the coaches AD to let them know they are going to interview their coach. NFL will not interview a college coach without permission.

$400k is a lot of ground to make up. Not to mention benefits.
With his ever-growing list of clients...some who are very high profile, Keith is doing well financially. If he wasn't, I'm sure he'd be looking hard for a gig right now. He's got an opportunity to reshape his image and time is one component needed to do just that (along with continuing to build the long list of clients on his resume). After Nebraska, especially considering his past (DUIs), I figured his next logical step (if he were to pursue a coaching job) would be the NFL.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about that assumption.

Most ADs will contact the coaches AD to let them know they are going to interview their coach. NFL will not interview a college coach without permission.

That might happen if it's a coach from a lower division or group of 5, but that doesn't happen frequently in P5. UNC wasn't contacted by Texas regarding Mack Brown. I highly doubt Miss St was contacted regarding Dan Mullen. Do you think the UCF AD was contacted about Scott Frost? I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back