• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jayhawks and Cyclones appear to be talking to B1G

Where does Washington fit in? Why is Colorado being discussed before them?

Some of what we know is just due to the fact that not every place leaks info the same. Colorado approached the B1G, and making the decision to do that had to involve more people, and more people yields more leaks. If the B1G is reaching out to Washington through Fox Sports, we likely wouldn't hear about it. I'd be shocked if that isn't happening.

FWIW, the same was true for why we've heard about Kansas, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State "having conversations" with the B1G. Those three schools have administrators who need their alums, boosters, and fans to know that they're moving and working. That does NOT mean the B1G wants them. Kansas appears to be different than the others in that talks between them and the B1G predate the announcement about OU and UT going to the SEC. Why do we know that? They reached out to the B1G, and that involved more people, and that led to leaks, and those leaks reach the ears and eyes of people like some of the folks on message boards.

They have enough talent within walking distance of the school to fill a more talented roster than we could ever have. Coaching and admin have been their Achilles' heel, much like a certain scarlet & cream team you know. Tell me that they couldn't hire Urban Meyer and be a monster within a few years.
Agreed and maybe I'm a victim a recenty bias here but I've never viewed them as more than a flash in the pan team. They had PC there and were awesome and then nothing.

UM would turn them into a powerhouse, but for how long? I think their politics get in the way quickly and it prevents any long term stability.

We lost our AAU status due to the pitchfork efforts of former Texas president Bob Berdahl. He's been a thorn in the side of NU ever since UT joined the Big12. He's also the sole reason NU was no longer able to recruit Prop 48 players.

Thanks for posting that! I was looking for that article recently, and I couldn't find it. I remembered the gist of it, but not the details.

Agreed and maybe I'm a victim a recenty bias here but I've never viewed them as more than a flash in the pan team. They had PC there and were awesome and then nothing.

UM would turn them into a powerhouse, but for how long? I think their politics get in the way quickly and it prevents any long term stability.
Imagine USC vs. Notre Dame for a conference championship or just division championship. That would be kind of cool.

Rest assured! Kevin Warren will screw this up just like he did with Covid. The guy is a moron.

Again, he's not the one driving the bus. All he has to do is smile and talk like a politician, and he can do that. He's supposed to be on the Clay Travis and Buck Sexton show this week, and they plan on asking him about expansion. They're going to be trying to squeeze blood from a stone because he a) won't know that much, and b) won't be at liberty to talk about what he does know.

IMO I do not know how any of the schools can have much confidence in him.
They don't, at any level. The presidents don't, so they brought in Alvarez to be "the football guy." The ADs don't, so they're moving on their own. Fox Sports doesn't have confidence in him, so they're working on their own to connect schools all over with the B1G. He's a figurehead at this point, and everybody is operating with that principle in mind.

But how badly will the Presidents/Warren screw it up when it comes time to pull the trigger?

As long as the universities being considered have enough of an academic standing to bring in loads of research funds (and ag money doesn't count, though some ag chemical stuff does), the presidents will sign off. Warren isn't really an independent actor.

Imagine USC vs. Notre Dame for a conference championship or just division championship. That would be kind of cool.
Not disagreeing at all (except I hate ND and would be more than happy if their program died).

Maybe it's just hard to grasp being in a division with a team that regularly starts games at 10/11 PM my time.

Again, he's not the one driving the bus. All he has to do is smile and talk like a politician, and he can do that. He's supposed to be on the Clay Travis and Buck Sexton show this week, and they plan on asking him about expansion. They're going to be trying to squeeze blood from a stone because he a) won't know that much, and b) won't be at liberty to talk about what he does know.
And c) wouldn't be able to patch together a cohesive paragraph regarding whatever topic he is asked.

USC is a blue blood. They have been on the national scene since the 60s, that I'm aware of. John McKay is a legend. OJ won the Heisman. Numerous battles with Ohio state in the rose bowl

Agreed but I don't know that USC is going to be relevant again or relevant long enough to bring in long term money. They just don't have staying power.
Based on this post I am guessing that you are younger than 40 years old. I say that because they've only had the brief run under Pete Carroll in that timeline. But if you back up a decade or two, the longer view shows power and prestige that oozes out in such a way that you want to punch that frickin' Trojan mascot in the junk ... and his horse, too. If you're under 40, this frickin' song might not make you want to commit homicide:

I hate them, sincerely, but when they have it rolling? Watch out. If you think 'Bama fans are obnoxious, wait until you start seeing every snob and starlet in Hollywood sporting USC gear. USC isn't the equal of UCLA, Cal, or Stanford, but it's not a coincidence that Hollywood folks were paying bribes to get their kids into USC.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back