• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jayhawks and Cyclones appear to be talking to B1G

1. Norte Dame will never join the B1G with the current revenue sharing model in place. Equal revenue sharing is the foundation of the conference’s stability and ND wants to keep its football revenue for itself.
2. On one hand, I hope the SEC votes OU in and TX out. Slap in the face for TX and the rest of the traitorous Big XII - IV + II - II teams. On the other hand, if they do vote TX in, I will savor the collapse of the SEC from the internal rot that will result from TX’s machinations.

Agree.

They have taken down 2 Conferences so far.........

I do hope they go to the S$C.

Would just be a matter of time before they take that one out also.

I have seen a lot of opinions about KW and I would like to share my opinion FWIW. Obviously I don't know him. He took over for Delaney which had generally been perceived as having run a successful conference. So coming in your are bound to receive scrutiny regardless of performance. I do not know about his political aspirations but I have read about them. Either way, he royally screwed up the Covid response. But you know what, people make mistakes. However, what baffles me is his attempts to withhold information from the schools and manipulate the outcome of the vote by influencing school decisions.

So what do intelligent people do? They internalize and they determine what they could have done to do better. Based on his response, it does not appear that he was able to do this. He made a mistake worth tens of millions of dollars and instead of trying to learn from his mistakes he has doubled down. IMO I do not know how any of the schools can have much confidence in him. I have met a lot of people like him and their own ego gets in their way.

So the B1G had a chance to get OU and Texa$$ but passed cause OU is not AAU? Just another example of B1G lack of vision. Was interesting hearing the guy say Nebraska is going through the process of getting their AAU status back. And, again, it is sad to hear that even the Networks (esp. Fox) realize the "lack of leadership" at the B1G (Kevin Warren) and it is starting to really bite the B1G in the rear.

I started to write a response to your post, @dparks, but it was growing into a Tolstoy novel, so I'm going to save that for something else. Suffice it to say that from the university presidents' perspectives, the grant funding dwarfs the money that comes and goes through athletics. I don't know the exact number, but it's somewhere around a majority of B1G programs don't turn a profit from their sports programs, so investing more into it is often an attempt to cut the costs in the long term as a return on investment. Wisconsin needs state funding to keep its athletic department afloat. Most schools aren't like Nebraska where the athletic department contributes to the university. Only a handful of programs are like that. The funding that is symbolized in AAU status (and those really are the labels that matter: "symbol" and "status") is much more concrete in their eyes.

I could go on for pages (literally), but that's the gist of it. If you want to read the full story, send me a PM, and I'll get you something longer and less edited.

Warren HAS to realize this is his chance to make up for last year…

He doesn't have the tools or connections to make these sorts of moves, and that's why he's been assigned to the sidelines. It is a combination of the B1G's Expansion Committee, ADs, and Fox Sports executives that are driving this bus, right now.

He doesn't have the tools or connections to make these sorts of moves, and that's why he's been assigned to the sidelines. It is a combination of the B1G's Expansion Committee, ADs, and Fox Sports executives that are driving this bus, right now.

But how badly will the Presidents/Warren screw it up when it comes time to pull the trigger?

I'm not so much as doubting him as just questioning where the info is coming from. Nothing public that I've seen (I haven't really looked hard) confirms what he's saying.

I understand, but he can't say why he can't say. The situation is very fluid, so things are coming and going, but what he's saying and sharing is going to be better than what you're reading and hearing from established sports media personalities.

it tells me that the academics are running the show in these regards, not the athletics.

Look, I'm as big of a college football fan as almost anybody on the planet, but ... that is the way that it's supposed to be. The "college" part came before the "college football" part, and it will be there long after the Nancies have decided that we can't play football because it doesn't properly instill our loyalty to Big Brother. If you want a school where athletics rule, the SEC is the place. I have a suspicion that Vanderbilt wishes it were in the B1G because school still comes first there.

No one on the West coast really watches CFB and they aren't going to draw money like OU/TX.

They're bandwagon fans. USC needs to win to get the juice, and the juice feeds the winning, and everything snowballs. Oregon needs an archrival in California to make their brand shine. Yes, they're not as passionate as Nebraska fans, but--keep this secret--neither are UT fans. UT is the same as USC in that when they're winning, everybody is on board the bandwagon and throwing money at the program; when they're not? Well, it sounds like a good time to have another dildo parade.

They have money, but they aren't going to draw people to buying sub's to Netflix, Amazon packages when those happen. Just MO.

True somewhat, but with that population base, if they have 10% of the interest of Nebraska fans at 100%, they still bring in more. USC alums are everywhere. You've probably met one. They tend to donate back to their school, so their athletic endowments program is amazing. It's a bird of a different feather, but they move the needle in every way you want. They're neck and neck with Michigan and Ohio State, and only N.D. and UT have had more of a decades-long following, nation-wide. For those of us who noticed, you didn't see a lot of OU and Alabama fans outside of those states in the late 90s when they were cratering. I still meet USC fans everywhere.

True somewhat, but with that population base, if they have 10% of the interest of Nebraska fans at 100%, they still bring in more. USC alums are everywhere. You've probably met one. They tend to donate back to their school, so their athletic endowments program is amazing. It's a bird of a different feather, but they move the needle in every way you want. They're neck and neck with Michigan and Ohio State, and only N.D. and UT have had more of a decades-long following, nation-wide. For those of us who noticed, you didn't see a lot of OU and Alabama fans outside of those states in the late 90s when they were cratering. I still meet USC fans everywhere.
Agreed but I don't know that USC is going to be relevant again or relevant long enough to bring in long term money. They just don't have staying power.

They're bandwagon fans. USC needs to win to get the juice, and the juice feeds the winning, and everything snowballs. Oregon needs an archrival in California to make their brand shine. Yes, they're not as passionate as Nebraska fans, but--keep this secret--neither are UT fans. UT is the same as USC in that when they're winning, everybody is on board the bandwagon and throwing money at the program; when they're not? Well, it sounds like a good time to have another dildo parade.
Where does Washington fit in? Why is Colorado being discussed before them? 1620 had a National guy on this morning discussing all of this. He believes as we both do that either the PAC or ACC have to make a move with their top programs. He sees the leftovers becoming a group of five level conference. For what it’s worth he said Kansas and North Carolina would both make sense in the BIG. Very interesting stuff going on.

Agreed but I don't know that USC is going to be relevant again or relevant long enough to bring in long term money. They just don't have staying power.

They have enough talent within walking distance of the school to fill a more talented roster than we could ever have. Coaching and admin have been their Achilles' heel, much like a certain scarlet & cream team you know. Tell me that they couldn't hire Urban Meyer and be a monster within a few years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back