• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jack Woche Hudl highlights

His arrival signals to me that we are losing AT LEAST 3 scholarship QBs on the current roster … Smothers, Purdy and Torres are my prediction. If Haarberg accepts a move to TE then one of these will stay assuming they want to stay.
I agree with the losing Qb's part. No coach is bringing in a 8th Qb unless he's thinking about depth on the roster. Scholarship, walk-on, or transfer must feel like he's going to need him.

Last edited:

Besides we are 20 some scholarships over the limit … we ain’t keeping all 8 QBs. Some are leaving. Having a capable walk-on as 3rd or 4th string allows you to have QBs leave.
My issue is not that it will not happen. My issue is your wording. You use absolute language. As i. It will absolutely happen that we lose 3. You even capitalize it for emphasis. Thompson will leave after this year, Simms after next. Torres still has plenty of time to prove himself. Woche himself may not make it out of spring. What is Torres outplays him. They are the same year. What will .ove the needle with the youger guys to move is if we get Raiola. Then I think we lose all but a few.

My issue is not that it will not happen. My issue is your wording. You use absolute language. As i. It will absolutely happen that we lose 3. You even capitalize it for emphasis. Thompson will leave after this year, Simms after next. Torres still has plenty of time to prove himself. Woche himself may not make it out of spring. What is Torres outplays him. They are the same year. What will .ove the needle with the youger guys to move is if we get Raiola. Then I think we lose all but a few.
Woche is one of two QBs recruited to NU by this staff.
Woche is not coming to NU without some confidence that he’s going to be allowed to compete for and make the team.
Woche is not a typical walk-on. He’s a scholarship caliber QB.

Sure Torres may beat him out … what’s more likely Woche, a walk-on QB grabbing the 4th string/scout team role or … Torres remaining with NU as the 4th string/scout team QB?

Tell me, what’s your QB depth chart prediction AND list of QBs who will end up leaving?

I agree with the losing Qb's part. No coach is bringing in a 8th Qb unless he's thinking about depth on the roster. Scholarship, walk-on, or transfer must feel like he's going to need him.
I think by Fall, the QB room depth chart is going to look very different. I'll trust Rhule and Satterfield to judge what they have and who will (and won't) work for the offense they want to run.

Haarberg seems destined to switch to TE . . . which could very well be fantastic for him as a career move. Torres, we don't really know much about other than we hear he has a big arm--we'll just have to wait and see. Purdy I don't think will realistically be in the mix . . . he might very well have all the talent in the world, but he just doesn't have "it" from what we've seen on game day. Maybe some of that was Whippleball, but Purdy looked scared and unsettled most of the time. Not sure he'll want to be down the line on the chart.

If Woche can bring something to the table even just as serviceable depth, then so be it. I have no idea what to expect, to be honest. But I'll trust the new staff to evaluate and pick the right guys in the right order eventually.

Woche is not coming to NU without some confidence that he’s going to be allowed to compete for and make the team.

Sure Torres may beat him out … what’s more likely Woche, a walk-on QB grabbing the 4th string/scout team role or … Torres remaining with NU as the 4th string/scout team QB?

Tell me, what’s your QB depth chart prediction AND list of QBs who will end up leaving?
I do not have a depth chart. Last I checked I was not employed as a coach by the University of Nebraska. But I am sure the coaches will be glad to know that at least one monday morning QB has it all figured out for them. :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Woche is a scholarship caliber QB?

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Woche is a scholarship caliber QB?
3 star rated QB
IMG (prep) starting QB
Played at Ole Miss

He‘s certainly capable … not necessarily suggesting an NU caliber scholarship player but definitely a collegiate player.

3 star rated QB
IMG (prep) starting QB
Played at Ole Miss

He‘s certainly capable … not necessarily suggesting an NU caliber scholarship player but definitely a collegiate player.
Where was he rated 3 stars at? I can only find a Rivals page for him and he doesn't even have a picture.

He only played in two games at IMG as a senior in the 2020-2021 season. He backed up JJ McCarthy. He only threw 9 passes. He wasn't even on the varsity team during his junior year at Vandegrfit (Austin, TX) during the 2019-20 season.

No clue where he was even at for the 2021-22 season. He was only with Ole Miss for the spring of 2022 - didn't even make it to the fall season.

*Edit - looks like he probably played in 3 games at IMG. They don't have stats listed for the TRU Prep Academy game - but he has highlights from that game.

Last edited:
He’s not just a “walk-on” player … he’s a scholarship caliber QB who’s choosing to come to Nebraska due to a Texas-based Rhule connection.

He‘s literally just the second QB recruited TO this team by Rhule.

If he can hold a 3rd, 4th string or scout team position then it gives the coaching staff a lot of flexibility.

Tell me, who do you think is more likely to be on the fall roster Richard Torres or Jack Woche?
I dunno! Torres is a Texas guy and I imagine this staff has a pretty good idea of his skillset. He was hurt and hasn't seen the field so who knows whats up with him. I agree Purdy and Smothers are likely gone

Where was he rated 3 stars at? I can only find a Rivals page for him and he doesn't even have a picture.

He only played in two games at IMG as a senior in the 2020-2021 season. He backed up JJ McCarthy. He only threw 9 passes. He wasn't even on the varsity team during his junior year at Vandegrfit (Austin, TX) during the 2019-20 season.

No clue where he was even at for the 2021-22 season. He was only with Ole Miss for the spring of 2022 - didn't even make it to the fall season.

*Edit - looks like he probably played in 3 games at IMG. They don't have stats listed for the TRU Prep Academy game - but he has highlights from that game.
I think his skillset is fair, not good.

I think by Fall, the QB room depth chart is going to look very different. I'll trust Rhule and Satterfield to judge what they have and who will (and won't) work for the offense they want to run.

Haarberg seems destined to switch to TE . . . which could very well be fantastic for him as a career move. Torres, we don't really know much about other than we hear he has a big arm--we'll just have to wait and see. Purdy I don't think will realistically be in the mix . . . he might very well have all the talent in the world, but he just doesn't have "it" from what we've seen on game day. Maybe some of that was Whippleball, but Purdy looked scared and unsettled most of the time. Not sure he'll want to be down the line on the chart.

If Woche can bring something to the table even just as serviceable depth, then so be it. I have no idea what to expect, to be honest. But I'll trust the new staff to evaluate and pick the right guys in the right order eventually.
Won't argue with any of this. I like Purdy though, I think right before he got hurt in the Michigan game some things clicked for him on that last drive. Better coaching and play calling will help him greatly. Whipple's play calling was strange to say the least. Maybe Rhule and Satterfield see that, idk.

Woche joining the room is just very interesting to me, Sims too. Rhule evaluated what he had when he got hired and decided he needed more Qbs. You could say he already had enough talent at that position. And I'd also say the other walkon, the Pauley kid is no scrub from watching film and looking at his stats in HS (I know very little about Kansas HS football and levels of competition lol). But I think it all means that some of the kids that have been in the program have likely been told or asked to change positions or transfer in the most likely case they are not going to make the Qb depth chart. Maybe they can stay and compete if they choose. I have my guess as to who but nobody really knows but the staff and players right now. Rhule is a great coach, he has a plan definitely.

Last edited:
Won't argue with any of this. I like Purdy though, I think right before he got hurt in the Michigan game some things clicked for him on that last drive. Better coaching and play calling will help him greatly. Whipple's play calling was strange to say the least. Maybe Rhule and Satterfield see that, idk.
I dunno … he’s a guy who has all the measure-ables, looks the part but when the lights come on he goes small … he thinks too much, he loses focus, the game speeds up, his decision-making becomes suspect … why Whipple played him over Smothers is beyond me legitimately cost us two games.

He completed 45% of his passes, threw 3 INTs with 0 TDs.

I dunno … he’s a guy who has all the measure-ables, looks the part but when the lights come on he goes small … he thinks too much, he loses focus, the game speeds up, his decision-making becomes suspect … why Whipple played him over Smothers is beyond me legitimately cost us two games.

He completed 45% of his passes, threw 3 INTs with 0 TDs.
It was mostly plug n play, how much Purdy got from Whip, other than heres the keys, who knows, didnt seem like much.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back