• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It's official, Donovan Raiola OL

I like it.

Particularly if it helps us pull in more Pacific Islander-type kids.

samoa-rugby-union.jpg
Now you did it. HuskerThom's blood is flowing like the Nile to his nether regions.

What I like is that they assembled the replacements fairly quickly after the season concluded, and they are all decent choices on the surface.

Now if we can generate some NILs we might get going on assembling a good set of recruits or transfers.

...or as they say down south: "Now if we can buy us some good athletes..."

Would Donovan have this job if these 2 things weren’t true?

1. He has a high school age nephew who has a cannon for a throwing arm.
2. A famous last name in NU FB history.

Just asking because the resume seems a bit light for a B1G top assistant.
Fair questions. The "light" resume is definitely the downside. And he is not walking into a situation that just requires maintenance. He will need to significantly improve his group.

We will find out soon if he can recruit his position effectively. With limited college coaching, there is really nothing to suggest that he can or cannot recruit well at this point. Same thing with development I suppose.

There is some upside. The ties to Dominic and Dylan are a positive, as is the fact that he played in the conference.

Greg Austin

Playing career
2003–2007 Nebraska Position(s) Offensive lineman

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2010–2012 Oregon (GA)
2013–2015 Philadelphia Eagles (assistant OL)
2016–2017 UCF (OL)
2018–2021 Nebraska (OL)

Interestingly Austin didn’t have much more experience.
How bad was Austin? An awful lot depends on what your head coach does in regards to orchestrating the practice/game plan…etc …. Anything he was taught in Wisconsin will be out the window as we couldn’t have a more polar opposite approach offensively. We loaded up the coaching staff with former QB’s at every position (exaggeration only by a little 3/5)

He is taking over a position group that was arguably the least productive on the team. It was a position group that Frost specifically pointed out in the summer as one he was excited about because of its potential. Unfortunately, that potential never came to fruition. The unit never did gel and was among the worst at the Power Five level.

:Rolf:

I think you hit the head on this with the statement it was a bit of an eye brow raise and that Scott Frost was taking a big chance.

I hope SF is correct. I saw this as the number 1 problem with our team last year in regards to our offense. Especially as it applies to our running game that has digressed in yardage per game each year under SF.
On paper this is our worst proven hire and is coming into a coaching staff that has drastically increased their passing game resolve. One by making the wide receivers coach the passing coordinator and a pass happy OC. I’m concerned that this hire, who quite frankly was hired away from a pass happy NFL, won’t have the clout to push the running game agenda.

Last edited:

I think the previous O line coaching was somewhat counter intuitive to a spread offense.
Very little 3+ yard runs as things closed in front of our rbs.
Go after a D, that will leave small gaps regardless, then let the rb make a play, not at the line trying to run through a closing hole.
It also preps you for short yardage, as well as your own D you practice against.
We get better here.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back