• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked "It's just got a magical feel to it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good. Talking about it is one thing. Executing it is another.

If Our D-line spends most of 2016 as a work in progress, our "on an island" DBs are going to have it harder this year than last year.

But hey, If DCMB can recruit a couple of Suh's well be fine before long.
No disagreement with the first 2 lines. Not sure we need Suh level. However Parella level would be good. :thumbsup:

It has been posted multiple times by myself and others that MR and Banker have fielded highly ranked defenses, not just in the Pac10 but nationally as well. True they had some low ranked defenses but they where at OSU and the fact they could get some top defensive rankings shows they are very capable.

C

Add to that the fact that no one will be surprised if Parrella turns out to be a great coach, Bray has already shown he can be, and I'm excited about them splitting the CB and Safety coaching. All three levels currently have reasons to be optimistic that this defense can be good again.

Add to that the fact that no one will be surprised if Parrella turns out to be a great coach, Bray has already shown he can be, and I'm excited about them splitting the CB and Safety coaching. All three levels currently have reasons to be optimistic that this defense can be good again.

And if Bookie signs we will have that lock down corner.

Clwzdi7UkAA5MvZ.jpg

C

Last edited:
I am all-in with Scott Frost. I have been since 1997. I have been waiting a long time to see him get his chance to be an FBS HC and I admit I am excited about it. Now that SF is a HC rather than an OC, the 2016 season will bring me more excitement than the 2015 season, for sure. SF had the right stuff as a player and I am hoping he has the right stuff as a HC. Thus far he has done very, very well. He hit the ground running and got the 2nd best RC in the AAC. He leveraged a new Nike uniform contract for UCF. The UCF football team definitely has some cool new mix & match uniforms. UCF spring game attendance reached an all time high. His players bought into the new fast pace of practices. His 2017 RC is coming along very well. For SF the rookie HC, so far, so good.

He is creating excitement at UCF. He knows that his job is to increase ticket sales; To create a rabid fan base like UNLs; And he knows very well that a win over Michigan or Maryland or both will give his new AD, Dan White just what he is hoping for. An 8-win season would be great. An AAC championship even better. SF has the opportunity to make Dan White look like a genius and help his players achieve great things. I am sure SF would like nothing more.

I loved it when SF said that it is not his team. He said the team belongs to the players. SF's goal is to give his players the best CF experience possible. His players need leadership. Scott will provide that. I think he has a lot to offer his players. Without question, SF knows what it takes to play championship football. If his players learn to trust him and go all-out for him, I am sure they will do very well.

I am also all-in with the Husker football program. I have been since the 1960s.

But I am not all-in with Mike Riley. I like Mike. I admire Mike. I think he is an outstanding person but I am not convinced that he is a championship-level FBS football coach. I am not the only one. I think the pundits rank him #43. In time, that could change. But at this point I have little faith that HCMR will consistently produce championship defenses; And I have little faith that mental toughness will become a trademark characteristic of MR-coached Husker teams. Not much faith MR's teams will be super-disciplined and super-focused....that they will play their best week after week.

Fortunately or unfortunately, TO is still the standard by which I judge Husker football coaches. Head coaches at UCF do not fall under that standard.

Also, the Callahan debacle has made me leery of a pro-style offense at UNL. I must admit that I love me some dual-threat QBs and I-bone/Clemson/Auburn/bug-eater style offenses. MR's style will take some getting used to. If MR's offenses can score 40 per game, then no problem. I will be rooting for Mike's team. That's for sure.

Phil Steele said that UNL was 5 plays away from being 11-2 last year. That is true and it is encouraging. But our defense was vulnerable last year, and with a re-tooled DL, our defense could be even more vulnerable this year. But that is more of a question mark than a given.

I am all-in with TA. I think we have a great fighter at the QB position. TA will do his best to improve as a QB. He is already a confident leader. TA provides me with as much hope as anything else on the 2016 team.

Where did the pundits rank Scott Frost?

Where did the pundits rank Scott Frost?

Impaler wanted to know why I am quick to heap praise on SF but hesitate with MR.

I hold Husker Coaches to the TO standard. The Husker football program holds a special place in my heart. It is a storied, blue blood program with all the bells and whistles. I am going to closely scrutinize any coach who takes over the (my) Husker football program. I have expectations for the coach who takes over the Husker program. C+ or B- work is not going to get it. I won't be satisfied with that.

On top of that, I have never been a MR fan. Never heard of him until we hired him. I had to google his name. MR did not enter the UNL program having any special credits with me. If SF would have been hired by UNL I am sure I would have been more accepting of 6-7 because SF gave us our last NC and I happen to be a SF fan. SF has some (earned) credits with me.

The UCF football program does not hold a place in my heart. SF doesn't fall under the same scrutiny as MR. I have no expectations of him. I am just a SF fan and a SF cheerleader. I have no reason to be critical of SF. He's just a rookie trying to meet a new challenge. I will enjoy his successes when they happen and be very supportive should he encounter any hiccups.

Yep, I am expecting much more from MR at UNL than for SF at UCF. Naturally my praise for MR will not come as easily as it will for SF.

On top of that Red Shrine, I have no expectation that SF will ever coach at UNL. It is not on my wish list. So when you tell me that SF is lower on the coaching rankings than MR, it is meaningless. In addition, SF has not yet had a chance to prove his worth as a HC. So how could he possibly be ranked fairly? Head Coaches with no previous experience should be exempt from such polls. I'll bet Tom Herman was ranked much lower than MR last year as well...but after just one season as a HC, Tom Herman's name is far above MR's.

Last edited:
Several here have stated several times that the recruiting rankings can be misleading because they value quantity just as much as quality. Of course, until NLI day, recruiting rankings are constantly in flux. So, beyond the idea that early momentum helps you to finish out your class stronger, the ranking that you have at this point in time means very little.

That being said, IMPO I think that all the recruiting services should re-work their team rankings based on average star ranking instead of total points = stars x quantity. The reason is that you can fairly safely assume that all teams by NLI day will have filled their roster with the max number of recruits. Very very few schools are going to purposely not fill their class. So, other than scholarship sanctions or other oddities, you can assume that every NLI class is full. If every class is full, then you can assume that every school brings in the same number of recruits over a 4-5 year span (yes, I understand that transfers, dropouts, suspension, early entry for the draft, and non-qualifiers all affect attrition and higher attrition = more recruits brought in - so not sure how you account for that in recruiting rankings). So, if you go back to the basic assumption that every school has the same number of recruits on scholarship over a 4-5 year span, then the numbers are equal and "quantity" part of the team recruiting ranking becomes relatively meaningless. So, a team's recruiting ranking should be based on average star ranking, and a rolling 4 or 5-year average star ranking is even more meaningful. Perhaps a rolling average could weight the class from 4 years ago more heavily because they have had more time to develop and become starters whereas the true freshman that just signed likely will have little impact that year. I know that Sam McKewon annually does a story on how productive a particular NU recruiting class was based on how many starts they attained, starter and 2-deep status, attrition/busts, etc. That is really an analysis of how good a class turned out to be instead of a ranking of the recruit's potential. But, I could see a rolling team recruiting rank weight a class from 4 years ago more heavily but then perhaps to gauge the potential of that class (which is what a recruiting ranking is) you only count the members from that class that are still on the team when the rolling average ranking is calculated each year. I think those means to rank recruiting classes would be much more meaningful and accurate than the current system that the services use of ranking = total points = quantity x quality.

Yes, a team can recruit up to 25 players per cycle. But think about this, if a team like Clemson actually had zero attrition for 5 years and managed to redshirt each entire class, they could only recruit 17 players a year or they would go over the 85 limit. Yet, they would still be full. If they only recruited 17 5* players every year, then they would have an entire team of 5* players. Yet, if Alabama recruited 17 5* players and 8 4* players every year, but they had a 50% attrition rate every year, Alabama's roster would not be full and they would have a mix of 5* and 4* talent. Yet, according to the recruiting rankings, Alabama would be ranked ahead of Clemson every year.

Yes, this is an extreme situation, but in reality there are less extreme versions of this happening all the time. That is why average star rating and rolling weighted average star rating of recruits still on a team are more meaningful indicators of the potential talent on any given team. That's what recruiting rankings are really trying to show, but are missing the goal. The rest is coaching, scheme, luck, development, projection skills, SOS, etc.

I tend to feel the same way. I believe the star ranking has a bigger impact on the class ranking but it does seem a little weird that a team averaging 3.27 and 18 players ends up below a team with a 3.11 and 25 players. On the other hand not sure there is anything good to come out of ranking a team who only has 3 commits and they average 3.67 while the rest of the schools are already in double digit recruits averaging 3.5.

Impaler wanted to know why I am quick to heap praise on SF but hesitate with MR.

I hold Husker Coaches to the TO standard. The Husker football program holds a special place in my heart. It is a storied, blue blood program with all the bells and whistles. I am going to closely scrutinize any coach who takes over the (my) Husker football program. I have expectations for the coach who takes over the Husker program. C+ or B- work is not going to get it. I won't be satisfied with that.

On top of that, I have never been a MR fan. Never heard of him until we hired him. I had to google his name. MR did not enter the UNL program having any special credits with me. If SF would have been hired by UNL I am sure I would have been more accepting of 6-7 because SF gave us our last NC and I happen to be a SF fan. SF has some (earned) credits with me.

The UCF football program does not hold a place in my heart. SF doesn't fall under the same scrutiny as MR. I have no expectations of him. I am just a SF fan and a SF cheerleader. I have no reason to be critical of SF. He's just a rookie trying to meet a new challenge. I will enjoy his successes when they happen and be very supportive should he encounter any hiccups.

Yep, I am expecting much more from MR at UNL than for SF at UCF. Naturally my praise for MR will not come as easily as it will for SF.

On top of that Red Shrine, I have no expectation that SF will ever coach at UNL. It is not on my wish list. So when you tell me that SF is lower on the coaching rankings than MR, it is meaningless. In addition, SF has not yet had a chance to prove his worth as a HC. So how could he possibly be ranked fairly? Head Coaches with no previous experience should be exempt from such polls. I'll bet Tom Herman was ranked much lower than MR last year as well...but after just one season as a HC, Tom Herman's name is far above MR's.

An "I don't know because it doesn't fit the narrative I'm pushing" would have sufficed.

I hope Scott does well enough at UCF to replace Langsdorf when Danny leaves to coach the Giants.

And, Gebbia might be a good one.

Last edited:

I hope Scott does well enough at UCF to replace Langsdorf when Danny leaves to coach the Giants.

Danny Langsdorf makes 500K to be UNL's OC. Frost gets paid 1,700K to be UCF's HC. MR could buy 3 Danny Langsdorf's for the price of one SF.

MR can't afford SF. While at OSU he couldn't beat him either. Frost holds a 6-0 record against MR's OSU teams as WR coach and OC. The last time they played Frost's team won 47-19.

Did UCF interview Danny Langsdorf for their HCing Position? I doubt it.

If there is any truth to a market economy, then I'd say DL and SF are both getting paid what they are worth. The market says that SF is 3X more valuable than DL. That is probably about right.

Last edited:
Danny Langsdorf makes 500K to be UNL's OC. Frost gets paid 1,700K to be UCF's HC. MR could buy 3 Danny Langsdorf's for the price of one SF.

MR can't afford SF. While at OSU he couldn't beat him either.

Did UCF interview Danny Langsdorf for their HCing Position? I doubt it.

If there is any truth to a market economy, then I'd say DL and SF are both getting paid what they are worth. The market says that SF is 3X more valuable than DL. That is probably about right.

You might want to re-read his post. I think he's implying that DL will take over for Riley then SF will take over for DL.

You might want to re-read his post. I think he's implying that DL will take over for Riley then SF will take over for DL.

Really? That is not how I read it. The only way DL becomes the Husker HC is if MR is very successful and retires. That is a lot to assume.

But I agree with you and GFOA. Gebbia could be a good one. But I think POB will always have an edge over Gebbia because I think he will continue to be 25 to 30 pounds heavier.

Last edited:
"It's just got a magical feel to it."

It's what all of my girlfriends and ex wives have said to me.... :Biggrin:

When Danny leaves for the Giants sounds like he is taking over for Riley?

Goes to the Giants after he does so well as head coach at NU. I could be wrong as to his intention; was out at the pool all afternoon drinking in the hot sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back