• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked It will be Harder to win a NC next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
With a 4 team play-off, the National Champion will have to beat two teams ranked in the top 4 to finish the season. That seems like a much more difficult task than winning one BCS NC game. Can you imagine trying to beat an Auburn or an Alabama and then a Florida State in back to back contests?

:eek: YIKES!

For the Huskers to make the 4-team play-off they will face Wisconsin in Madison, Northwestern in Evanston, Michigan State in East Lansing, and Iowa in Iowa City. There are also games with an upward-trending Minnesota and a talented Miami team. Fresno State can play, too. If Nebraska gets by that slate of teams, then there is a CCG. If they finish as an unbeaten B1G champ, then they will still have two more huge hurdles to get over to become NC.

It seems like a very daunting task to me. 15 games total I think. Well, someone is going to do it next year. Whoever does it, I'll tip my hat to them.

Last edited:

With a 4 team play-off, the National Champion will have to beat two teams ranked in the top 4 to finish the season. That seems like a much more difficult task than winning one BCS NC game. Can you imagine trying to beat an Auburn or an Alabama and then a Florida State in back to back contests?

For the Huskers to make the 4-team play-off they will face Wisconsin in Madison, Northwestern in Evanston, Michigan State in East Lansing, and Iowa in Iowa City. There are also games with an upward-trending Minnesota and a talented Miami team. Fresno State can play, too. If Nebraska gets by that slate of teams, then there is a CCG. If they finish as an unbeaten B1G champ, then they will still have two more huge hurdles to get over to become NC.

It seems like a very daunting task to me. 15 games total I think. Well, someone is going to do it next year. Whoever does it, I'll tip my hat to them.

If the Huskers can't make the 4 team playoff, it won't be because their schedule is too tough. It will be because the Huskers aren't tough enough.

If the Huskers can't make the 4 team playoff, it won't be because their schedule is too tough. It will be because the Huskers aren't tough enough.

Much truth in that statement....but the Rose Bowl champs are on our schedule, and Wisconsin coulda/shoulda beat the team (SC) that finished 3rd in the final rankings. Ohio State could emerge as the East champion, showing itself to be better than both MSU and Whiskey.

Not exactly sure what players MSU, tOSU, and Whiskey are losing (I know Borland is gone) but the NU schedule looks pretty salty to me. Iowa played right with LSU in the Bowl game, so they are no pushover. Winning the B1G in 2014 will be a very stiff challenge, IMHO.

Last edited:

My response will be similar to Coloredo... because we have it pretty easy compared to some teams out there. If we even plan to be in the top 4 at the end of the season, then the fact that Fresno (without Carr), NW, & Iowa are in your post make that laughable..almost. I say that because if we beat everyone, we're in. But I also say that because if we struggle against teams like that, we probably won't win enough games (be good enough).

I think it will be fun though.

Have they released any type of schedule? Will it be something like BOOM play Florida St. BOOM 7 days later play Oregon? (my top 2 for next year :) ) I'd hope they give everyone at least 2 weeks in between the games...

EDIT:

• 01/01/15 - Rose Bowl
    Semifinal Game
  • 01/01/15 - Sugar Bowl
    Semifinal Game
  • 01/12/15 - College Football Championship Game
    AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX

Last edited:
Much truth in that statement....but the Rose Bowl champs are on our schedule, and Wisconsin coulda/shoulda beat the team (SC) that finished 3rd in the final rankings. Ohio State could emerge as the East champion, showing itself to be better than both MSU and Whiskey.

Not exactly sure what players MSU, tOSU, and Whiskey are losing (I know Borland is gone) but the NU schedule looks pretty salty to me. Iowa played right with LSU in the Bowl game, so they are no pushover. Winning the B1G in 2014 will be a very stiff challenge, IMHO.

MSU is a good team but not great, same with Wisconsin. Sucks that both are on the road but neither should be too tall of a task if we can get adequate QB play and the defense is playing like we expect them to. Northwestern, Iowa and the rest are not at the same level which is not to say they can't beat us but we would have to help them out imo.

MSU is a good team but not great, same with Wisconsin. Sucks that both are on the road but neither should be too tall of a task if we can get adequate QB play and the defense is playing like we expect them to. Northwestern, Iowa and the rest are not at the same level which is not to say they can't beat us but we would have to help them out imo.

Let's face it.....to win the B1G NU will have to either beat the top 2 teams in the Eastern Division (likely MSU & tOSU) or play the best team from the East twice (if MSU wins the East).

IF NU makes the CCG game, their B1G schedule will likely be the toughest of any school in the conference.

MSU finished 3rd in the nation and as I said, Wisconsin could have beaten the team that finished 4th in the nation. tOSU could end up being better than both of them. I do not know what you consider great, but I think all three of those teams have top-10 potential. You label them as just "good"? I would say that all three (at a minimum) are likely to be "very good."

Last edited:

Woooo doggie! If NU can run that NW, Iowa, Fresno, Minnesota gauntlet they should be a shoe-in!

Let's face it.....to win the B1G NU will have to either beat the top 2 teams in the Eastern Division (likely MSU & tOSU) or play the best team from the East twice (if MSU wins the East).

IF NU makes the CCG game, their B1G schedule will likely be the toughest of any school in the conference.

MSU finished 3rd in the nation and as I said, Wisconsin could have beaten the team that finished 4th in the nation. tOSU could end up being better than both of them. I do not know what you consider great, but I think all three of those teams have top-10 potential. You label them as just "good"? I would say that all three (at a minimum) are likely to be "very good."

MSU finished 3rd in the nation but were hardly the 3rd best team in the nation.(my opinion)

While it's true that having to win 2 games against elite competition is more difficult than having to win one, it's also easier to get into the 4 team playoff than it was to get into a 2 team BCS title game.

Take 1999 for example. The Huskers probably would have been the 3 seed that year and played Virginia Tech in the semifinals. If they had won they would've played the winner of Florida State and Alabama, Tennessee, or Kansas State (whichever was picked to be the 4 seed) Would winning those 2 games back to back have been difficult? Absolutely, but at least they would have had a shot at it, unlike with the BCS were they won the Fiesta Bowl and were left wondering what might have been if a fumble or two in Austin back in October had bounced differently, as FSU and VT played for the title in the Sugar Bowl.

Calm down! Yes, the schedule is plenty tough enough to get the B1G Champion into the play-off. The CCGs are going to become key to seeding teams. The SEC Champ, the PAC 12 Champ, Likely the B1G Champ, and the fourth team will either come from the ACC or the Big 12. Not having a championship game could work against teams like OU and UT, particularly in the eyes of the committee.

Calm down! Yes, the schedule is plenty tough enough to get the B1G Champion into the play-off. The CCGs are going to become key to seeding teams. The SEC Champ, the PAC 12 Champ, Likely the B1G Champ, and the fourth team will either come from the ACC or the Big 12. Not having a championship game could work against teams like OU and UT, particularly in the eyes of the committee.

I am very calm. You calm down.

MSU finished 3rd in the nation but were hardly the 3rd best team in the nation.(my opinion)
They had the best defense in the country, period. They would have beaten Alabama, Auburn, Missouri, South Carolina, and Clemson, and held their own against Oklahoma. They would have rattled Jameis even more than Auburn did.

You are right, though. They were not the 3rd best team. They were the 2nd best team in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back