• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It’s not very lively around here, especially for NU/OU week

Ah who cares? It's just a bunch of old farts who remember the rivalry from when it was still a rivalry anyway. This was scheduled as the 50 year reunion of the Game of the Century after all. 50 years! You'd have to be ancient to actually remember that.

Those old farts are stuck in the past. Fearing a beatdown from the team with whom together they multiple times defined the very pinnacle of college football. Knowing it will rip open the compartmentalization they've used to cope with the decline of the huskers once proud program, exposing the sham their sports fandom has become.

And watching Barney Miller re-runs. Always the re-runs.

Really glad I'm not an old fart. ;)

Last edited:

I’m just not in the camp that this is a massive talent disparity. NU has recruited 20th on average, them around 10th. It’s not that massive. In spots it could be. It’s not insurmountable. I just think the overall organization and comfort in scheme, coaching, culture, and of course winning, is the biggest difference. I do not believe, for a second, that NU gets the max from its players, it just doesn’t. Not yet anyways.
We have good enough talent to best most teams if we can ever play up to our abilities. We can't get out of our own way.

Rushing the ball with the RB has been an issue under Frost. Obviously the yards count no matter what, but the bulk of the rushing yards have been by the QBs and our ability to run when we need to has been substandard (short yardage, goal line, protect a lead, etc). And, when the RB has been effective (vs Wisconsin using Ozigbo), Frost didn't stick with it and tried to air it out instead. The Rutgers game last year was a bright spot, in that Frost pounded the ball with the RB, but it has been a rare occurrence.

Well, Frost stuck with the running game the last 2 games, and some people weren't happy with that either. I agree with you that the RBs need to continue to get the bulk of the carries and don't panic if it's not working at first. AM won't last a whole season if he's getting more than 10 carries a game.

Well, Frost stuck with the running game the last 2 games, and some people weren't happy with that either. I agree with you that the RBs need to continue to get the bulk of the carries and don't panic if it's not working at first. AM won't last a whole season if he's getting more than 10 carries a game.
They aren't happy with the results, not because he stuck with the run. It's good that he is willing to stick with the running game, but if the OL can't create consistence room to run, then what is the value? And, you make a good point about AM. The more he runs, the more he risks injury. With the development level of our backup QBs, it appears we would be in trouble if AM goes down. I do wish we would run more option, because it seems we are fairly effective with it, but it does expose AM more.....

We will see. I hope you’re right. Gonna need a strong effort Saturday. I just haven’t really seen them slow anyone with a pulse. OU, has a pulse. Have to respond if put in a bad spot. Turn it over on your own 30, have to hold them to a FG attempt. Just the way it is. Have to slow them up. I think, for NU to have a shot to win, it has to hold OU to 28 or less.
FYI...

HCSF is undefeated when his team scores 35+

Last edited:
We have good enough talent to best most teams if we can ever play up to our abilities. We can't get out of our own way.
Agree on talent.

I don't know how much each player watches tape, other than their position coaches using it to teach, but if each player looked at it and truly thought: "I could beat this guy who's gonna be across from me."....that would be the missing puzzle piece, imo. Zatechka likes to talk of imposing your will on the opposition. The 'we play our game, not theirs' type thing.

The team has shown improvement on penalties and played cleaner in some ways. Do this combined with above, maybe it will be one of those games that when all odds are against ya, you play with passion and some smarts and pull off the win. Just when no one expects it. Beating OU would fix a lot for everybody. GBR!!!

They aren't happy with the results, not because he stuck with the run. It's good that he is willing to stick with the running game, but if the OL can't create consistence room to run, then what is the value? And, you make a good point about AM. The more he runs, the more he risks injury. With the development level of our backup QBs, it appears we would be in trouble if AM goes down. I do wish we would run more option, because it seems we are fairly effective with it, but it does expose AM more.....

But that's kind of the way a lot of Big 10 football is played. The running game isn't doing much early, but by the 2nd half things start opening up. We'll see if they can do that against OU.

But that's kind of the way a lot of Big 10 football is played. The running game isn't doing much early, but by the 2nd half things start opening up. We'll see if they can do that against OU.
I agree about the strategy and cumulative effect of the run game, and we saw it for years under TO. But you have to have some success with it, and sustain some moderate length drives leaning on the DL, for it to have that effect. The only time I ever remember us wearing down Miami was the 1994 NC year. Every other time we faced them we were stonewalled, and punted a lot. It would be great if the OL can have a "statement" game vs OU on Saturday. They seem to have enough strength and athletic ability, so maybe they will put it all together vs OU and get a push on the LOS. Playing keep away from OU is the best way to defend their Offense....

Rushing the ball hasn't been the major issue with this offense since Frost has been the coach. Last year, they were 2nd in the Big 10 and 31st overall in rushing. 2019, they were 3rd in the Big 10 and 29th overall. 2018, they were 4th in the Big 10 and 28th overall. So far this year, they are 2nd in the Big 10 and 22nd overall.
Turnovers, lack of big plays in 2019 and 2020, and poor red zone efficiency have killed this offense. I think they can run the ball against OU, but they have to get points every time they are in the red zone.
I guess I was more looking at rb running. AM has always been a good runner.

Even with AM scrambling, I have a lot of doubts about our offense in this game. Our best bet is a steady diet of WR option attacks--since Smothers can also run the option and we have some depth in that regard, I hope we involve our QBs pretty heavily in the run game.

But I don't think AM will break a 75-yard run in this game. Buffalo schematically left a lot of field open for AM and they weren't very quick. Buffalo played hard, sure, but AM was a lot more athletic than most of their kids. Oklahoma will have an athleticism advantage, and I think AM will struggle to pick up big runs.
The sooners are smart enough to realize the only threat we have is Martinez legs.

I believe the reason many fans weren’t happy was because of what cannon fodder husker was referring too. Taking wide receivers and qb rushing out the regular RB games has been pretty ineffective. Our running game standings in the B1G and NCAA are a little higher due to AM, JD, WM and Maurice.

Here's what gave me some hope for the defense from the last few weeks: the linebackers are Nebraska kids, and they are pumping each other up. Nelson, Henrich, and Reimer (not to mention Snodgrass and Gifford) are flying around making plays. The DL and DB rooms may be the strongest, but the LB's have an infectious fire that can really turn into something fun.

Playing against OU is going to come down to pride, and the Ruud's Boys have that. If nothing else, they shouldn't give up. Maybe they'll shock the world. ;) It wouldn't be the biggest upset OU has endured this decade. Not saying Nebraska is going to win, I'm just following Lloyd Christmas on this one.

I believe the reason many fans weren’t happy was because of what cannon fodder husker was referring too. Taking wide receivers and qb rushing out the regular RB games has been pretty ineffective. Our running game standings in the B1G and NCAA are a little higher due to AM, JD, WM and Maurice.
Our lack of RB production would be more understandable if our OL was facing 8 or 9 man fronts, but Buffalo was able to limit our traditional run game with 6 or 7 in the box and using 3 or 4 man fronts. They would Dog a LB that would penetrate at times, but it was still 5 on 5 in those situations. Many times we would have an O-lineman not blocking anyone as a defender was bearing down on AM. Until the OL cleans up mental errors and execution, our run game (and pass pro) will struggle.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back