• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It’s not very lively around here, especially for NU/OU week

Chin has proven to be a decent DC IMO. Our two best position coaches are DB and DL.

500 yards and 38 points may be more of an indication of how well does our offense play than our defense. If our D is always on the field/put into bad positions ("special" teams), they could still play well and give up over both of those numbers.
We will see. I hope you’re right. Gonna need a strong effort Saturday. I just haven’t really seen them slow anyone with a pulse. OU, has a pulse. Have to respond if put in a bad spot. Turn it over on your own 30, have to hold them to a FG attempt. Just the way it is. Have to slow them up. I think, for NU to have a shot to win, it has to hold OU to 28 or less.

We will see. I hope you’re right. Gonna need a strong effort Saturday. I just haven’t really seen them slow anyone with a pulse. OU, has a pulse. Have to respond if put in a bad spot. Turn it over on your own 30, have to hold them to a FG attempt. Just the way it is. Have to slow them up. I think, for NU to have a shot to win, it has to hold OU to 28 or less.
The only way we hold them to 28 is if we're running the ball well. Unless a miracle happens, we aren't going to start doing something we haven't done well under Frost.

Even with AM scrambling, I have a lot of doubts about our offense in this game. Our best bet is a steady diet of WR option attacks--since Smothers can also run the option and we have some depth in that regard, I hope we involve our QBs pretty heavily in the run game.

But I don't think AM will break a 75-yard run in this game. Buffalo schematically left a lot of field open for AM and they weren't very quick. Buffalo played hard, sure, but AM was a lot more athletic than most of their kids. Oklahoma will have an athleticism advantage, and I think AM will struggle to pick up big runs.
I’m just not in the camp that this is a massive talent disparity. NU has recruited 20th on average, them around 10th. It’s not that massive. In spots it could be. It’s not insurmountable. I just think the overall organization and comfort in scheme, coaching, culture, and of course winning, is the biggest difference. I do not believe, for a second, that NU gets the max from its players, it just doesn’t. Not yet anyways.

It's rather amusing to see a general consensus of both

"how DARE anyone at NU even CONSIDER changing the OU game - DON'T THEY KNOW HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS TO THE FANS????"

and also

"Oklahoma is almost for sure going to win this game by a lot, it's just not that exciting to talk about."

The only way we hold them to 28 is if we're running the ball well. Unless a miracle happens, we aren't going to start doing something we haven't done well under Frost.
That’s why a win is very unlikely. Without some serious breaks, holding them to 28 would be a miracle. They could score 28 in the 1st quarter. I just hope some pride, care, and execution is on the players and coaches minds. Gonna have to fight, so bring it, unless you want to be embarrassed.

That’s why a win is very unlikely. Without some serious breaks, holding them to 28 would be a miracle. They could score 28 in the 1st quarter. I just hope some pride, care, and execution is on the players and coaches minds. Gonna have to fight, so bring it, unless you want to be embarrassed.
The 3rd quarter is going to be ugly. We're so bad at making adjustments.

The 3rd quarter is going to be ugly. We're so bad at making adjustments.
I hope not. Maybe it’s the day the light comes on? We can hope. I firmly believe, that there is SO MUCH MORE to get out of this team. Can they find it? Tulane could have beaten this team. Kansas State has twice in three years. Iowa State has beaten them, twice in three years. They can be had.

Rushing the ball hasn't been the major issue with this offense since Frost has been the coach. Last year, they were 2nd in the Big 10 and 31st overall in rushing. 2019, they were 3rd in the Big 10 and 29th overall. 2018, they were 4th in the Big 10 and 28th overall. So far this year, they are 2nd in the Big 10 and 22nd overall.
Turnovers, lack of big plays in 2019 and 2020, and poor red zone efficiency have killed this offense. I think they can run the ball against OU, but they have to get points every time they are in the red zone.

Which is precisely why it never should have been discussed. It would be nice if the narrative around this game could be something else entirely, like the history of the rivalry, etc. We have enough issues with the perception of the program that we didn't need "dodging competition "to be piled on top of it....
We talk about hostile environments. This one could be an ugly environment. There'll probably be signs in the stands referring to us trying to get out of playing them and the announcers will be glad to show them and comment on them. Just hope their fans don't do some kind of cluck-clucking chant at us. To not play well and look bad too would be enough without the above.

Am in the crowd of just get past this one and look forward more to MSU and the rest of the season.

Rushing the ball hasn't been the major issue with this offense since Frost has been the coach. Last year, they were 2nd in the Big 10 and 31st overall in rushing. 2019, they were 3rd in the Big 10 and 29th overall. 2018, they were 4th in the Big 10 and 28th overall. So far this year, they are 2nd in the Big 10 and 22nd overall.
Turnovers, lack of big plays in 2019 and 2020, and poor red zone efficiency have killed this offense. I think they can run the ball against OU, but they have to get points every time they are in the red zone.
Rushing the ball with the RB has been an issue under Frost. Obviously the yards count no matter what, but the bulk of the rushing yards have been by the QBs and our ability to run when we need to has been substandard (short yardage, goal line, protect a lead, etc). And, when the RB has been effective (vs Wisconsin using Ozigbo), Frost didn't stick with it and tried to air it out instead. The Rutgers game last year was a bright spot, in that Frost pounded the ball with the RB, but it has been a rare occurrence.

OU’s defense can and will be had, by someone(s). Is Nebraska one of the someone’s? I don’t know, but the OU D can be soft. I’m still not sold on Nebraska’s D. They’ve played no one. I don’t know if it’s any good or not. Can they hold OU under 500 yards and 38 points? I have no idea, but if they can’t, most likely, it will be ugly.
I am not sold on Nebraska defense either as well!! I just don't see great improvement from them for a full 4 quarters. They get pretty porous at least a couple series every game. They need to buckle it up for an entire game to compete with the Oklahomas and Ohio States!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back