• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Isaac Copeland, G'Town transfer is "N"

There is no such thing as a speedy recovery on back surgery. Likely looking at 6 months minimum.
Hopefully not. Surgery for herniated disks can be one of the "better" back surgeries to recover from. My brother had his herniated disk operated on in September, and he was back working in three weeks, and was stacking wood for his fireplace a few weeks after that--and he is almost 60 years old. I think they are looking at about a 6 week recovery period for Isaac. No, he won't be full strength after six weeks, but I think he will be in pretty good shape in far less than six months.

So, for anyone in the know, why is he transferring? Did I miss it somewhere? Another person this morning told me he was transferring because he was losing playing time. My first response was "duh, he's having surgery so he's injured." Was he losing playing time while healthy? There's something else going on as to why he transferred I just haven't heard why yet so hoping people can help me out.

So, for anyone in the know, why is he transferring? Did I miss it somewhere? Another person this morning told me he was transferring because he was losing playing time. My first response was "duh, he's having surgery so he's injured." Was he losing playing time while healthy? There's something else going on as to why he transferred I just haven't heard why yet so hoping people can help me out.
I think he wanted a change plus Georgetown very loaded at his position.

I think he wanted a change plus Georgetown very loaded at his position.
That's what I don't get... Georgetown so loaded at the position that a five star that was on the all-conference freshmen team couldn't see the court?

I'll buy the change of scenery, but people keep saying Georgetown was loaded when Akoy starts for them I won't buy stock in.

That's what I don't get... Georgetown so loaded at the position that a five star that was on the all-conference freshmen team couldn't see the court?

I'll buy the change of scenery, but people keep saying Georgetown was loaded when Akoy starts for them I won't buy stock in.
I am just guessing here but I think that when he got hurt him and the coaches did not see eye to eye on how he was handled.

His injury set him back defensively and he went on a shooting slump causing him to lose minutes. Some of it was outside his control but from what I'm told, frustration led to lack of defensive intensity as well. Just what I was told from a a somewhat reliable source and gathered on the interwebz.

With this pick up, Miles is essentially doubling down on his next two years, banking that he's going to make a run.

Miles really needs to finish this class off with an under-the-radar type of point guard who doesn't mind sitting for 2 years before he gets a real opportunity. Perhaps someone locally within a 500 mile radius.

I fully anticipate a grad transfer and an additional transfer at the end of the year from our team.

Last edited:
This will be an interesting one to follow. Even when healthy he didn't really stack up to what you'd think a 5*/top 25 talent would do. At about 12 points and 6 boards per 40 minutes in his Fr. and So. year....those are nice numbers but again, you're typically looking for a 5* bball recruit to come in and fill it up.

G'Town was OK his 1st year but they sucked his 2nd year and they suck again this year. He was playing for one of the worst power conference coaches in the country. JT3 would be long gone if his dad wasn't JT2. So there's that. Probably his biggest mistake was going to play for that loser in the first place. Hopefully the change of scenery helps.

Hopefully not. Surgery for herniated disks can be one of the "better" back surgeries to recover from. My brother had his herniated disk operated on in September, and he was back working in three weeks, and was stacking wood for his fireplace a few weeks after that--and he is almost 60 years old. I think they are looking at about a 6 week recovery period for Isaac. No, he won't be full strength after six weeks, but I think he will be in pretty good shape in far less than six months.
Having been going through this for the past 13 months, thinking someone could play college basketball 6 weeks after surgery is completely ridiculous.

In this study, 79% were able to return to play at an average of 4.9 months later that DID NOT get surgery. They did site another study that 25% of NBA players that had a discectomy never played again, regardless of time after surgery.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3781879/

This sites 3 studies of microdiscectomy where 85% of athletes at all levels were able to return to play with a range of 5.2-5.8 months. But that is all athletes (jogging, biking) and not competitive college basketball.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20881585

This one has 83% return for NCAA athletes.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/861975

Clinical Orthopedics (July 2014) performed a review of all related studies on lumbar discectomy in elite athletes noting that at least 75% of the athletes returned to play reaching a performance level of at least 64% of pre-surgical capacity.

Bottom line is unless the problems are much less and it isn't a disc herniation or only a minor one, no way you are looking at less than 6 months and even then, there is a 15%-25% that he never sees the court again.

Last edited:
Having been going through this for the past 13 months, thinking someone could play college basketball 6 weeks after surgery is completely ridiculous.

In this study, 79% were able to return to play at an average of 4.9 months later that DID NOT get surgery. They did site another study that 25% of NBA players that had a discectomy never played again, regardless of time after surgery.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3781879/

This sites 3 studies of microdiscectomy where 85% of athletes at all levels were able to return to play with a range of 5.2-5.8 months. But that is all athletes (jogging, biking) and not competitive college basketball.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20881585

This one has 83% return for NCAA athletes.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/861975

Clinical Orthopedics (July 2014) performed a review of all related studies on lumbar discectomy in elite athletes noting that at least 75% of the athletes returned to play reaching a performance level of at least 64% of pre-surgical capacity.

Bottom line is unless the problems are much less and it isn't a disc herniation or only a minor one, no way you are looking at less than 6 months and even then, there is a 15%-25% that he never sees the court again.

i see the problem. no one in those studies was drinking Kool-Aid. This specially blended drink makes any sports related problem go away. :Koolaid2:

This will be an interesting one to follow. Even when healthy he didn't really stack up to what you'd think a 5*/top 25 talent would do. At about 12 points and 6 boards per 40 minutes in his Fr. and So. year....those are nice numbers but again, you're typically looking for a 5* bball recruit to come in and fill it up.

G'Town was OK his 1st year but they sucked his 2nd year and they suck again this year. He was playing for one of the worst power conference coaches in the country. JT3 would be long gone if his dad wasn't JT2. So there's that. Probably his biggest mistake was going to play for that loser in the first place. Hopefully the change of scenery helps.

Sooo I take it you're not a fan of John Thompson III?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back