• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is it really about 'Wins and Losses'?

Hello Goal-Line,

Thanks for your reply and input.

I understand the need for W's, and it is my thought that 'great' teams... are born not out of W's but 'first' out of relationships.

Now, the great news with this is that W's are almost an immediate result of a relationship driven team.

..so, you have W's...... and so much more foundational, you have strengthened your program going forward....for even more W's.

In today's society there is the absence of meaning... belonging....replaced by the surface and immediate.

When you scratch the surface of today's culture you find a morbidly narcissistic society being fueled by a valueless media....

When you can tap into (as Coach Frost is able) the need for 'relationship' and 'life meaning'....you can help the athlete achieve much more than just W's....and in doing so help foster a better person...more stable and happier and all the while bringing out their very best performance ....

When this becomes systematic within your program… Great and lasting results will be produced.

Summarizing, its relationship first. Wins comes second and as a byproduct of the relationships.

Thanks again for your response.
Have a great day..and GBR!!

I could not agree more. However, if Frost does not get this turned around and suffers from lack luster seasons or blow out defeats, five years from now, we will be having other discussions about coaching changes.

I was in the coaching business for a good number of years and fully understand the importance of relationships/trust between coaches/athletes and individual athletes/team mates and that relevance to successful programs. As I said in my previous post:

"All the talk about "relationships" may have a "feel good" touch to the rhetoric, important to part of the over all development of the program, that leads to the wins during the season and to the Championships."

In the end, boosters, administration, fans and alumni want the wins. It is up to Frost and his coaching staff to create an environment for developing relationships vital to team play in order to achieve that goal. No argument about that.

I truly hope that Frost succeeds to the highest level. GBR!

Last edited:

It is about wins and losses, but it does take the right people, top to bottom, to make that happen. Collections of athletes aren't teams, nor are collections of football minds coaching staffs. There has to be something more in both groups to win Championships.

I hope Frost is a great coach. I think that's getting a little ahead of ourselves though. I am focused on short term goals, and great coach status seems to be long term goal.

I'm hoping Frost can get Nebraska to a bowl in year one. Then we'll go from there.
I think this is pretty accurate. All pretty spot on.

I hope Frost is a great coach. I think that's getting a little ahead of ourselves though. I am focused on short term goals, and great coach status seems to be long term goal.

I'm hoping Frost can get Nebraska to a bowl in year one. Then we'll go from there.
As a fan that very well may be YOUR short term goal. As a coach like Frost what do you believe his short term goals are? I would imagine a new attitude would be first and foremost, Cant/wont lose return to the days that THIS IS OUR HOUSE, playing for each other rather than for themselves, Bringing some fun back into the game. Thing that impresses me about Frost and even how well he has done in his short career is that it is not about him but the players. He said nothing this year about his abilities and put all the glory on the backs of his players...that is the making of a great coach already.

Jim Collins book "Good to Great" puts it simply: "Expending energy trying to motivate people is largely a waste of time… if you have the right people on the bus, they will be self-motivated.”

In other words, there are a good number of players that want to get on a winning coach's bus, but when it sputters climbing a mountain only those that know where they insist on making it to the top by getting out and pushing the bus all the way to the top can become great.

This is the culture of greatness.

Well it all depends doesn't it.

I think Husker fans are fixated on wins; take a look at the comments generally on this board as representative -- all about how many. If the Ws don't come, the coach doesn't stay. So the short answer is it is about the wins. You are your record.

The OP seems to ask instead - how do you build a team to get those Ws, and I think relationships are very important, but slogans can be overplayed. Occasionally a team with lesser players beats a team with better players (that include in the definition, the coaching of those players). My example always is Villanova beating the Patrick Ewing Georgetown BB team in the championship game. Usually, however, the better team wins and that normally includes players that are at least a bit better than those on the losing team. Coached correctly, players that are no inherently better than those on the other team can in fact be better, and that's where the relationships and the culture of teamwork comes into play.

I am delighted Frost is apparently bringing that to the Huskers. I personally want to see a team that is well coached, a coach that manages the game correctly, players and coaches that stay fully in the game until the final gun, and an elimination of those horrible embarrassing defeats. If all of that happens and we get a lot of wins (and I think we will if all of that happens), then I will continue to hope for more -- conference championships, playoffs for the national championship, maybe occasionally a national championship. But if none of those latter events happen, I will remain content.

I agree Herb Brooks one of the greats of all time. What he did with that team was remarkable. The ones he kept off that team at the time made you scratch your head. He looked for players he knew would bring out the best in each other. Then when they started getting a big head about themselves he lined up a game with the Soviets just to bring em down to earth as to say...you're not there yet

For Herb to put Jim Craig in Goal when, at the time, he may not have been considered the best goalie was genius. Having Mike Eruzione as captain was a great call as well.

For Herb to put Jim Craig in Goal when, at the time, he may not have been considered the best goalie was genius. Having Mike Eruzione as captain was a great call as well.
and he stuck with him in goal...Telling him/the team during a break, you lose this game you take to your grave...YOUR F*&^&*ing GRAVE

lets not forget what a impact of the last man cut had on the Team... Ralph Cox. Guy was beast and played his way on to the tryouts with a broken leg. Something a coach has to do and cutting Cox from the team sent the message needed to the rest of the team. If he can get cut we need to step up our game.

Brooks said in his book about what his thoughts were during the last min of the Soviet game. Brooks said Ralph Cox.

Last edited:
Here's some food for thought:

“Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the ‘me’ for the ‘we’”
– Phil Jackson

“A common mistake among those who work in sport is spending a disproportional amount of time on “x’s and o’s” as compared to time spent learning about people.”
– Mike Krzyzewski

“Let me tell you what winning means…. you’re willing to go longer, work harder, give more than anyone else.”
– Vince Lombardi

“Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the ‘me’ for the ‘we’”
– Phil Jackson

“Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile.”
—Vince Lombardi

“A great coach will make his players see what they can be rather than what they are.”
–Ara Parseghian

“Championships are won by teams who love one another, who enjoy and respect one another and play for and support one another.”
–Tom Coughlin

– Phil Jackson

“A common mistake among those who work in sport is spending a disproportional amount of time on “x’s and o’s” as compared to time spent learning about people.”
– Mike Krzyzewski

“Let me tell you what winning means…. you’re willing to go longer, work harder, give more than anyone else.”
– Vince Lombardi

– Phil Jackson

“Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile.”
—Vince Lombardi

“A great coach will make his players see what they can be rather than what they are.”
–Ara Parseghian

“Championships are won by teams who love one another, who enjoy and respect one another and play for and support one another.”
–Tom Coughlin

Great quotes!:thumbsup:

:Ironn:

– Phil Jackson

– Mike Krzyzewski

– Vince Lombardi

– Phil Jackson

—Vince Lombardi

–Ara Parseghian

–Tom Coughlin
Or you can have talent like Alabama....:Stirthepot:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back