• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is insurance the end of football as we know it?

If we know that smoking is bad for you and yet we allow it, what is the difference with anything else? Smokers, football players, boxers, mma, drunk drivers, drugs, race car drivers, cliff diving, parasailing it can be/is all bad/dangerous for you and we know it yet we do it, at what point does it become the individuals responsibility not everyone else? Do we legislate everything to death and if not what is or isn't legislated?

Insurability.

I would argue anyone who begins playing football today does so with the knowledge that concussions are an inherent part of the risk. Not so much 20 years ago.

People smoke today ... but much less than 20 years ago. Same for football.

Kind of my point, you know going in.

Insurability.

I get it, so the option is either a high deductible or don't insure, and if you can't get insured than play at your own risk, don't mean that to sound cruel but that is reality. Someone smokes, they still get health or life insurance but the premium is higher, you play football at a high level or have had prior concussions so you want insurance pay a higher premium. And if you have to pay a higher premium then realize it is because you choose to do something that has been proven a 'health hazard'.

Yup, today you know what you're getting into. Maybe there's a small caveat for minors playing football and parental consent, but it's a known risk. It's not like you were just walking out for a sub sandwich and two ruffians choked you and poured bleach on your face.

Last edited:

At some point kids and their parents may have to sign agreements (if they don’t already) limiting liability. I don’t think this is a big issue.

At some point kids and their parents may have to sign agreements (if they don’t already) limiting liability. I don’t think this is a big issue.

So parents have the right to waive off a minor’s future legal rights? I don’t think so. Zero chance.

Last edited:
I believe the NCAA insures athletes for all institutions, so this wouldn't be on NU, but the NCAA as a whole.

If the NCAA, NFL, and whoever else wants to get serious, they should have a lifetime ban on use of performance enhancing drugs. In contact sports, their use is a direct threat to the health of other players and it introduces financial risk to everyone involved.

The NCAA does not provide any insurance for injuries. Until around 10 years ago, universities such as UNL had relied on the student’s (parents’) insurance for injuries, and only provided coverage if no such coverage existed. Then the insurance companies wised up and said “wait a minute...we aren’t on the hook for accidents / injuries / future compensation occurring on your (the university’s) silly sports teams. The courts have steadfastly supported the insurers.

So the UNLs of the world are in fact on the hook for player injuries. Whether they are also on the hook for loss of future earnings, pain and suffering, and shortened life compensation is what the insurers are worried about.

Last edited:

At Nebraska Omaha their insurance paid 20%. If you had health insurance then basically you paid the deductible

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back