• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is insurance the end of football as we know it?

The issue with insurance is not the actual treatment cost of an injury - that is child’s play. That amount can at least be somewhat predictable and quantified actuarily.

The boogie man is the potential for payouts in the countless $ billions for loss of life, loss of quality of life, as well as compensation for shortened life. That concept is what has the insurers running for cover.

There are hundreds of lawsuits making their way through that court system right now on all levels. The NFL’s settlement of over $1 billion is only the hem of the garment.

Last edited:

A shame as to what our society has become. Logic, caution, honest effort at safety to the wind. Best not ride a bike, skateboard or even leave the house for fear of a lawsuit. Remember insurance companies are in the business of making money.

:Thumbsdown: to socialized medicine. The government steals too much out of my paycheck already...and that's even after the Trump tax cuts.

Last edited:
A shame as to what our society has become. Logic, caution, honest effort at safety to the wind. Best not ride a bike, skateboard or even leave the house for fear of a lawsuit. Remember insurance companies are in the business of making money.
Disagree ... play tennis you might hurt a knee, basketball an MCL or ACL, baseball its the shoulder and elbow ... football its all of those and it is the head. You can repair a knee or elbow or ligament ... how do you repair the head?

Insurance companies are definitely protecting themselves, but the risk with football is greater and the magnitudes of potential claims are astronomical when compared to other sports. It is just reflecting the market place and the inherent risks today.

If I am a property tax paying citizen ... why would I support a scenario where 30% of my athletic budget is spent to support 2% of the athletic participation?

The issue with insurance is not the actual treatment cost of an injury - that is child’s play. That amount can at least be somewhat predictable and quantified actuarily.

The boogie man is the potential for payouts in the countless $ billions for loss of life, loss of quality of life, as well as compensation for shortened life. That concept is what has the insurers running for cover.

There are hundreds of lawsuits making their way through that court system right now on all levels. The NFL’s settlement of over $1 billion is only the hem of the garment.
Exactly…...socialized medicine is meaningless here in the argument as that won't stop lawsuits for future damage and quality of life payoffs.

Disagree ... play tennis you might hurt a knee, basketball an MCL or ACL, baseball its the shoulder and elbow ... football its all of those and it is the head. You can repair a knee or elbow or ligament ... how do you repair the head?

Insurance companies are definitely protecting themselves, but the risk with football is greater and the magnitudes of potential claims are astronomical when compared to other sports. It is just reflecting the market place and the inherent risks today.

If I am a property tax paying citizen ... why would I support a scenario where 30% of my athletic budget is spent to support 2% of the athletic participation?
You said if you were a property tax paying citizen. Well I AM a property tax paying citizen and I know what my taxes go to because they list all 18 of the. (approximately). Not a penny goes to supporting an athletic budget. Now what does go to supporting an athletic budget is my donations to the Athletic department. I would rather pay that directly to that 2% football program if I could but my donations are also used to support the tennis team too which I don't get a choice in other than to pay and accept it.

Property taxes support public schools ... now some public schools may have their athletic programs supported by donations but that is not the case everywhere and I'd be willing to bet the infrastructure and the permanent staff salaries and other related overhead costs are not covered by annual donations.

So an NFL player making millions of dollars turns and sues the league because of injury? Rediculous, like he didn’t know it was a dangerous sport. I knew the potential when I was a kid and saw plenty of serious injuries and didn’t care. CTE surfaced after my time, but I would do it all over again with knowing about it. Everything becoming a potential lawsuit in this country is disgusting.

I would because IMO football is the superior sport and ultimate entertainment. At the collegiate level basketball is the only sport that even sniffs the interest and revenue of football.

2 b
Property taxes support public schools ... now some public schools may have their athletic programs supported by donations but that is not the case everywhere and I'd be willing to bet the infrastructure and the permanent staff salaries and other related overhead costs are not covered by annual donations.
My apologies. I thought you were referring to Husker football rather than high school sports.

It depends on what the voters want. BTW please do not make me defend socialized medicine. I am not a fan. Simply saying that it may help this ONE situation.

And I'm not arguing against socialized medicine. I'm just saying that the "bean counters" who run any socialized program will decide what is covered and what is not. It will not be the voters that decide what risky behavior will be covered. It will be the accountants.

According to Alex Fairly in the story: "If you are a hockey, soccer, or football team, insurers don't want you."
Well that sounds like a pretty self-serving quote. Come to me and I'll get it worked out for you. The more disruption and fear, the better for the Fairly Group.

You would support it because 90% of the money coming in comes from football. Most sports lose money all the way through college. In most D1 schools football pays for the rest. Nebraska uses no state funding for athletics. Why? Football.

I believe the NCAA insures athletes for all institutions, so this wouldn't be on NU, but the NCAA as a whole.

If the NCAA, NFL, and whoever else wants to get serious, they should have a lifetime ban on use of performance enhancing drugs. In contact sports, their use is a direct threat to the health of other players and it introduces financial risk to everyone involved.

The NFL may eventually find itself in the insurance business if it wants to survive. It seems less likely each year that football will remain sustainable long term.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back