• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Darin Erstad the answer...

NUFootballTim

Scout Team
15 Year Member
I'm not a HUGE NU baseball follower. I keep up with them enough to know that NU got served today. I will listen to games on occasion and am the type to watch if they are playing on TV. I am a Nebraska fan, so by that standard, that makes me an NU baseball fan. that being said, I don't know anything about the particulars of baseball. I don't follow the strategy and am not qualified to comment on the job that a head coach is doing. I don't bring this up just because we lost today. Baseball is a LONG road and I would tend to think that its not as easy to turn around as basketball, or maybe even football. But then again, I don't know because I don't know baseball.

So for those that do, I would be curious to know what you think of the job, to this point, that Darin Erstad is doing? He's been there a couple years now. Is Darin Erstad the answer or do you think NU can do better? Can he get us back to the college world series? Is he doing a good job? or not so much?

I think he is ahead of schedule considering he took over a team that couldn't even make a conference tournament. And we have already beat the #1 team in the nation this year.

I don't think there is any way to know the answer to that yet. Keep in mind that Erstad's entire coaching resume before he took the job consisted of one season as an unpaid volunteer assistant.

We often talk about the need to give Pelini time to figure out how to be a highly successful head coach. Well, multiply that by several factors when it comes to Erstad.

I was not in favor of hiring someone with so little coaching experience, but now that he is here we need to be really patient as long as the team is showing steady improvement. So far, I think we have seen that.

The really good news is that if Erstad does figure everything out and becomes a highly successful coach, I don't think we need to worry about him leaving for greener pastures.

I was excited by Erstads' Hire. Now, I'm not so certain. I liked Doc Sadler too, but he just couldn't get it done. At least Pelini has had nothing but winning season's since he took over. Tim Miles is flat out kicking Azz.... I'm all for giving the coaches a fighting chance, but losing to teams like The Citadel, and Northern Colorado, that's just embarrassing. He is a Winner, he has been where ever he's gone, but damn it man, we shouldn't have more than 3 losses so far. We should have swept the Citadel and N. Colorado. He should most definitely be given at least two more seasons to prove he can coach, then after that......

I absolutely think he's the right guy and will give him the time to prove it. He just pulled in a top-15 recruiting class, as high as 10th on some services. You think football recruiting in Nebraska has built in disadvantages, baseball is exponentially more.

And as Howl said, this guy is a more than likely a lifer. We need a Gene Stephenson type at the helm here, and we got it.

He has name recognition, and a good philosophy/attitude about how the game should be played. As long as he has good assistants that can recruit and coach the style of play that fits his philosophy we will be fine. That being said, I thought he hit it out of the park with the Will Bolt and Ted Silva hires when he became head coach. Will seems to have the infield playing pretty solid and the bats have been solid the last season or so. Ted is a bit of mystery at this point, he had a great resume when he came on and I think they have made some progress with the pitching but it seems to have stagnated. Hopefully he can get these young pitchers throwing strikes before the season is over. We were a little spoiled when we had Rob Childress as the pitching coach under Van Horn, dude was probably one of the best pitching coaches in college baseball. I believe the team will come around again this year before the season is over like it did last year and I agree with ***, we are definitely ahead of schedule so far. Especially with the recruiting, which I might add is pretty incredible considering the conference we are in.

Last edited:
ok so i gather that this baseball turnaround can take a few years. thats my impression from the comments.

so to this point, are there spots where NU is ahead of schedule, and spots where we are behind? or is the team achieving at the level that one can expect at this point?

Completely legitimate question. The recruiting has been strong and the offense appears to be coming around.

I am far more concerned about Coach Silva's performance thus far.

I agree with Blue Howl on Erstad.

Pitching is a problem. I don't think we have three strong starters and no bullpen stopper. You need that!

I like Erstad, because of who he is and what he has meant as a Husker. I think school is still out as to his coaching ability. I am willing to be patient, although I will say the current season has had some disappointments so far. And I don't think anything is "ahead of schedule" re the baseball program under Erstad. But, GBR, and go big Stad!

I'm not a HUGE NU baseball follower. I keep up with them enough to know that NU got served today. I will listen to games on occasion and am the type to watch if they are playing on TV. I am a Nebraska fan, so by that standard, that makes me an NU baseball fan. that being said, I don't know anything about the particulars of baseball. I don't follow the strategy and am not qualified to comment on the job that a head coach is doing. I don't bring this up just because we lost today. Baseball is a LONG road and I would tend to think that its not as easy to turn around as basketball, or maybe even football. But then again, I don't know because I don't know baseball.

So for those that do, I would be curious to know what you think of the job, to this point, that Darin Erstad is doing? He's been there a couple years now. Is Darin Erstad the answer or do you think NU can do better? Can he get us back to the college world series? Is he doing a good job? or not so much?

First of all, all your questions are purely subjective. I, myself, feel he is doing a good job, being as it is only his second year. It will take time to make us a contender. Darin is a knowledgeable ball player, let alone, a great athlete. Darin also knows the game of baseball. I say, give him time. If he doesn't get us to the CWS in 5 years, we can talk.

Meanwhile, if you don't know much about the game, just listen to this forum. After a while, you will be able to say, we don't know that much about the game, either!! :lol:

Don't be a stranger, seriously. Join us as much as you can, ok?

As far as learning the game, it ain't that hard. Didn't you play the game growing up? Man, you've been sheltered! ;)

:wave:

p.s. We play this weekend, vs Cal-Irvine. They have one, tough pitching staff, but I hear they lost yesterday; they
can be beat. This weekend's success will depend on our pitching, also. Our relievers, so far, are very inconsistent.

I was excited by Erstads' Hire. Now, I'm not so certain. I liked Doc Sadler too, but he just couldn't get it done. At least Pelini has had nothing but winning season's since he took over. Tim Miles is flat out kicking Azz.... I'm all for giving the coaches a fighting chance, but losing to teams like The Citadel, and Northern Colorado, that's just embarrassing. He is a Winner, he has been where ever he's gone, but damn it man, we shouldn't have more than 3 losses so far. We should have swept the Citadel and N. Colorado. He should most definitely be given at least two more seasons to prove he can coach, then after that......

You can't say, we should have beaten The Citadel and N. Colo. all the games we played them. Until our pitching comes around, we will have times we will struggle. If there is a problem, it is Ted Silva! The pitching coach ain't gittin' 'er done!

Last edited:

At this point, I have no idea. Husker baseball has shown both bright spots and disappointments this season. I certainly want Erstad to do well -- as he's one of my all-time favorite Husker athletes. But I don't know. I do know the Big Ten is still a pathetic baseball conference -- and I really am skeptical that will ever change. So yes, there is opportunity to win the Big Ten, which at least gives the Huskers a chance nationally.

I notice the Husker baseball team's current RPI (prior to today's loss) is 137. The ISR (which always seems to be a better measure), has NU at 73 (again, prior to today).

Anyhow, we'll see how the season plays out. And next season as well. Erstad isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

You can't say, we should have beaten The Citadel and N. Colo. all the games we played them. Until our pitching comes around, we will have times we will struggle. If there is a problem, it is Ted Silva! The pitching coach ain't gittin' 'er done!

Yep. Silva and the pitching is a sore point. Seems like we've said this before, unfortunately.

Yep. Silva and the pitching is a sore point. Seems like we've said this before, unfortunately.

Yep! Unfortunately, it is still the same old, same old, HWM. :banghead:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back