• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Culture Still a Prob?

This schedule should be easy enough to get six wins or more. I’m not asking for championships and fans expecting them is what got us into this situation not expecting to win six games. Reality is different thkugh and should frost not hit six wins he should be finding a new job. Everyone that though calling for him to be fired last year was bad he doesn’t get six wins this year it will be worse.

Okay. Your vote has been tabulated. No matter what happens, if Frost wins 5 games this year you are hereby putting him on notice that you will be advocating his termination. Got it. (Though I kind of got that 3 responses ago, but now it’s super duper clear.)

Itd be nice to see players getting spring practices, regular fall camps,full seasons etc.
Itd be nice to have your OC and WR coach work with the team other than a month before the season starts, and he and the teamget a spring practice and a regular fall camp etc.

This is almost like a reboot on a reboot

Last year was difficult for everyone... especially teams in the B1G.

I’m fairly certain that there are many teams (some of which beat us) that share this same sentiment.

I’m just hoping that our cultural improvement leads to improvement over the issues that have always been within our control.

Last edited:
Nice article on Chin and defense on HM front page. He's taken a good amount of criticism but seems to finding his way.

NU may have one team culture, but at times it can seem like two with the defense. Once filled with discontent and exhaustion before Chinander arrived, it now sounds unified and motivated, ready to play with an edge. That defense handily beat NU’s offense in Wednesday’s scrimmage, too.

Thats fine, think what you want, all have their opinion.
I think its going to be hard to lose this year, unless other teams are just that much better than theyve been.
We have been close, it wont take a lot to be just that much better.

Things are in motion to address our weaknesses, and new players in numbers, with talent are as well, like at wide out, and depth at RB.

Special teams are being addressed.
Some of our younger guys have gained some experience, and should be better this year.

Will it be enough?
I think so, now, is that rabid enough for you?
My problem with some of the things you mention is why are things in motion during year 4 to address the weaknesses we have had the 3 prior years? What are the results of how they were addressed previously? These problems aren’t all player related. There should be a certain amount of development expectations from the staff by players that we’ve struggled to see.

Was all in for getting a QB from the portal but why would a good one want to come with AM having a LOCK on the starting job? Best reason for a transfer is playing time which probably isn't happening unless AM gets injured. There's plenty of teams looking for starting QB's that have FAR LESS talent at that position then Nebraska imo. Therefore getting one that's better then AM probably wasn't going to happen. Husker fans had better hope AM doesn't go down to injury this season.
Not sure I would describe AM as having a “lock” on the QB position. If anything the opposite. Last year Frost proved he would bench him......even as a starter for a lesser talented quarterback with poorer statistics and a higher turnover tendency.
I get your perspective. It’s year 4 and you’re tired of losing. So the emotional part of your thinking process has completely blocked out the analytical side. Analyzing reality is a much less satisfying exercise than giving in to emotion.
Kind of an interesting paragraph. If I read it right you are saying his negative emotions from years past are preventing him from analytically evaluating our current status. So how does that compare to the koolaid fans? For those of us drinking it....is that blocking our analysis? Asking for a friend

My problem with some of the things you mention is why are things in motion during year 4 to address the weaknesses we have had the 3 prior years? What are the results of how they were addressed previously? These problems aren’t all player related. There should be a certain amount of development expectations from the staff by players that we’ve struggled to see.
WR and special teams coaching has been AWOL to and extent.
Not enough devoted time for STs, and very little actual coaching of WRs, losing spring hurt us there, having the messed up fall camp exacerbated that as well.
Hard for a qb to work on timing when WRs are learning the plays type of thing.
Its no one thing, and certainly not a player only thing.

You could add in the O lines pass pro as a part too,as it takes time, especially with our younger guys.
Basically, what Ive mentioned are things that all make a difference,nd we should be better at,because theyre being addressed.

Seeing is believing,and I believe SF saw a few things which are now getting more work this spring.

I dont think our base offense was completely in last year, and not even assembled for our special teams, and SF has to learn a few things here,as the players are willing and able to do, and talented at that.

WR and special teams coaching has been AWOL to and extent.
Not enough devoted time for STs, and very little actual coaching of WRs, losing spring hurt us there, having the messed up fall camp exacerbated that as well.
Hard for a qb to work on timing when WRs are learning the plays type of thing.
Its no one thing, and certainly not a player only thing.

You could add in the O lines pass pro as a part too,as it takes time, especially with our younger guys.
Basically, what Ive mentioned are things that all make a difference,nd we should be better at,because theyre being addressed.

Seeing is believing,and I believe SF saw a few things which are now getting more work this spring.

I dont think our base offense was completely in last year, and not even assembled for our special teams, and SF has to learn a few things here,as the players are willing and able to do, and talented at that.
I agree with all of this. What the realists are saying is why in year 4? Why have some problems developed under this staff?

I agree with all of this. What the realists are saying is why in year 4? Why have some problems developed under this staff?
Cant blame them.
But looking deeper, timing and inexperience all helped this along.
We had ittle senior leadership on the team, and coaches filling holes in a lousy roster, late arrival year one left no good vetting, and that class crashed, and even that leadership was shrunk then.

They start fixing the roster, your OC is gone, WR coach is gone, place of need, your top two WRs are gone early, they scramble to fill holes there, not great results, then the virus hits, no practices etc, no consistency in avery young team.

IMO, they could have done things better, but not had much greater results, simply because of the timing of all this, but we would have been better to see just the potential ofthis team had things been done better, even amidst all the adversity, and yes, we would have won more games.
But because its the same coaches,and the same players, the talent, depth all thats still here, and though its been stunted, I see that changing as the other things are gone, like getting spring practices now etc, plus realizing not early/mid season they had a special teams problem, too late into the season to properly fix, start getting your WRs down field, pretty much the same, it wasnt practiced, and tough to do into the season.

Its all behind them now,no more excuses, and if yo listen to the players, they just want to win.

I will say two things that stand out to me, against NW, they said we had played good enough to win, that was a respect thing.
And Toures remark, about how hard the guys are working and cant believe they arent winning more.
They will

My opinion is this: We are seeing many of these things in year 4 because the staff didn't know everything they thought they did. Frost came in with quite a bit of ego, and has been shown that he was the one who needed to adjust to the Big10. We have been forced to participate in a substantial OJT period while he figures things out. I would say he's been outcoached regularly in his first 3 years by Big10 coaches, and I think he made some mistakes dealing with the existing players, which led to a prolonged culture problem. Some recruiting misses at key positions have also hurt him. Those all fall on the staff, and Frost is not making OJT money, so the expectations on him are fair. That being said, it's to the staff's credit that they are recruiting as well as they are, while putting a sh!tty product on the field for 3 years. And, it seems like the Defense is coming around and could be a real bright spot this season. The Offense has been a mess, with flashes of high level play, but never sustained. It seems we may have upgraded the WR room. but time will tell if they it will show on the field. The sloppy execution can't all be blamed on youth because different, more experienced players were doing it 2 years ago, and some are still doing it and will be Juniors & Seniors. This is the year Frost MUST straighten out his Offense, and he needs to stop being outcoached, especially in the 2nd half.

Not sure I would describe AM as having a “lock” on the QB position. If anything the opposite. Last year Frost proved he would bench him......even as a starter for a lesser talented quarterback with poorer statistics and a higher turnover tendency.

Kind of an interesting paragraph. If I read it right you are saying his negative emotions from years past are preventing him from analytically evaluating our current status. So how does that compare to the koolaid fans? For those of us drinking it....is that blocking our analysis? Asking for a friend

If your 4 year starter is in danger of being benched, your team’s trajectory is probably not in the right direction, IMHO. But perhaps we will be lucky and things will start clicking with this team. Ever hopeful.

Does Kool-Aid dull the senses? Absolutely! But it never tastes sweeter than during the spring. So I say drink up and enjoy this spring. Then see how things shape up in the fall and temper expectations until we see how the team plays when they start snapping the ball against real opponents.

Both of these statements can be 100% true: 1)Frost inherited a complete dumpster fire when he arrived and 2)Mistakes made by Frost and staff have caused the turnaround to happen slower than it should have

I'm hopeful lessons have been learned, and this year is when things turn a corner.

If they don’t have 5 turnovers and give up 495 yards of offense to them they have an excellent chance.
Agreed. Beat Illinois, then Buffalo, then Oklahoma and stack wins one at time. Wins showing strong, aggressive, fundamental football.

By the way, thanks for the reminder of just how ugly and difficult to watch last year's game was. : /

My opinion is this: We are seeing many of these things in year 4 because the staff didn't know everything they thought they did. Frost came in with quite a bit of ego, and has been shown that he was the one who needed to adjust to the Big10. We have been forced to participate in a substantial OJT period while he figures things out. I would say he's been outcoached regularly in his first 3 years by Big10 coaches, and I think he made some mistakes dealing with the existing players, which led to a prolonged culture problem. Some recruiting misses at key positions have also hurt him. Those all fall on the staff, and Frost is not making OJT money, so the expectations on him are fair.
This is 100% accurate IMO. We've paid him $15m to learn on the job, and I think it's been a pretty poor value thus far. Oklahoma hasn't had this kind of drop-off with their Boy Wonder, so it's fair to say that some of this responsibility also falls on Moos's shoulders. Nothing we can do about it now, but for a future coaching vacancy, if we're going to bring in someone inexperienced, let's at least save some money doing it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back