• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Culture Still a Prob?

Regarding the 2021 schedule being a bear -- I think that's because Nebraska has underachieved so badly in recent years that most of our opponents seem capable of beating us.

Illinois
Buffalo
Oklahoma
Michigan State

If Frost had been who we thought he was upon hiring, we'd be thinking 3-1 at worst to start -- and with an explosive offense similar to what we saw at UCF potentially capable of beating OU.

Now, there's at least a bit of concern with Illinois, a MAC school, and Michigan State -- because Mel Tucker had Frost's number when coaching CU.

Northwestern

Certainly a very well coached team. However, they are returning fewer starters than any team in the Big Ten. Yet, it's impossible now to not expect this game to go down to the wire. Because the odds are, Fitzgerald will out-coach Frost -- so we need to hope our talent overcomes that.

Michigan

Heading into the season for the third consecutive year with a new starting QB. Coming off a disastrous season. Coming into Lincoln with fans back in the stadium. Has finished 19th and unranked the past two seasons. I would have thought year four of Frost could beat teams like that. But now, no, odds are likely against us.

Minnesota
Purdue

Why did we lose to Minnesota last season, considering their top WR opted out just prior to that game and they came into Lincoln with over 30 players out due to Covid? Were they more talented and deeper than Nebraska? Or was Frost out-coached? Remember, Minnesota came into Lincoln last season with a losing record -- and hadn't been able to play the two weeks prior due to Covid. The Gophers limped into Lincoln and boom.

There should be no debate about whether or not we can beat Purdue, right?

Ohio State

In Lincoln. Sure, even if Frost had lived up to expectations, we'd likely be the underdog. But now I tend to think we're hoping we avoid getting blown out.

Southeastern Louisiana

Not worth discussing that team.

Wisconsin
Iowa

I'm certain most felt by now, Frost's teams would be better than Iowa and at least on par with Wisconsin. That hasn't happened yet. The possibility of extending long losing streaks with one or both of these is very real.

That's a schedule to win no less than 8-9 games -- if we got what we expected from Frost -- and what he told us as fans -- upon his hire. I'll bet there were some expecting we'd be competing for the Big Ten title and maybe a playoff berth by year four. 13-0 at UCF had everyone believing 9 wins would be a given soon -- with the possibility for much more.

The 2021 schedule is a bear because we've been falling far below expectations for too long now. The fact that we're hoping we can come up with 6 or 7 wins and believing that may be a huge chore is due largely to the fact that we are nowhere near what you'd expect from any coach Nebraska hired going into his 4th season.

When you aren't good, the opponents become more challenging and the schedule becomes more difficult.

Last edited:

No experience = experience
Got it
Little experience = a lot of experience
Got it
Freshman are always as good as seniors
Got it, no more excuses

No experience = experience
Got it
Little experience = a lot of experience
Got it
Freshman are always as good as seniors
Got it, no more excuses
You'll use youth as an excuse again next year when the defense turns over and the year after that when the OL turns over too. At some point the excuses have to stop. Accountability only applies to the kids on the team apparently.

When you aren't good, the opponents become more challenging and the schedule becomes more difficult.
Great write-up, exactly where my head is at. No reasons for optimism. Probably won't be glued to any game this year.

Still hopeful, though. Even terrible teams have breakout years. We have one of the longest BCS/NY6 bowl droughts in the P5. At some point, just by luck if nothing else we'll find that player at the bottom of the depth chart that is an absolute game changer. The ball will bounce our way. Our opponent will make a mistake.

Some day.

Probably not this season, but by golly, it seems like it's gotta happen eventually.

You'll use youth as an excuse again next year when the defense turns over and the year after that when the OL turns over too. At some point the excuses have to stop. Accountability only applies to the kids on the team apparently.

We can pre-package excuses now for the next couple of years!

And there absolutely should be concern about breaking in a complete unknown at quarterback next season.

Youre using a losing excuse, I plan we win.
We dont win this year, it isnt because of youth I'll be looking forwards towards next year.

Again, if you think experience counts for nothing, I get it

Great write-up, exactly where my head is at. No reasons for optimism. Probably won't be glued to any game this year.

Still hopeful, though. Even terrible teams have breakout years. We have one of the longest BCS/NY6 bowl droughts in the P5. At some point, just by luck if nothing else we'll find that player at the bottom of the depth chart that is an absolute game changer. The ball will bounce our way. Our opponent will make a mistake.

Some day.

Probably not this season, but by golly, it seems like it's gotta happen eventually.

Yeah, I can't say it won't click this season. I'm just one of the growing number who needs more evidence than spring drill hype.

I look back at the end of the 2018 season when it looked like we'd turned things around. When Martinez looked capable of competing for a Heisman in a year or two. And if I would have declared then we'd have Martinez still running the ship in year four with possibly our best defense in several years, we'd be thinking the Big Ten West would be no obstacle and a major bowl, maybe even a Big Ten title would be possible. Yet somehow most of us are wondering if we can have a winning season.

Youre using a losing excuse, I plan we win.
We dont win this year, it isnt because of youth I'll be looking forwards towards next year.

Again, if you think experience counts for nothing, I get it
No one's saying experience doesn't count. If it counted as much as some think, though then that's a bigger indictment on Frost last season when he had a ton of experience. It's just not the reason NU will or won't be a .500 or better team this year.

No one's saying experience doesn't count. If it counted as much as some think, though then that's a bigger indictment on Frost last season when he had a ton of experience. It's just not the reason NU will or won't be a .500 or better team this year.
Youre saying I think theyll lose, and i never said that.

Youre saying I think theyll lose, and i never said that.
I don't for one second think you think they'll lose. No offense, but you strike me as a kool-aid consumer extraordinaire. I'm predicting what the Frost endorsed narrative will be if NU does in fact continue the pattern of losing.

Its a team, not a coaching staff.
Its not just the players,its also the coaching staff.
Experience is a plyers/coaches best friend, only behind talent and health.

There are no excuses, experience, you either have it or you dont.
Same for talent,health and whats between your ears, and that counts not only for the coaches, but the players as well, which is part of being experienced.
Separating them, or excluding them, it only makes it tougher, i not impossible.

I don't for one second think you think they'll lose. No offense, but you strike me as a kool-aid consumer extraordinaire. I'm predicting what the Frost endorsed narrative will be if NU does in fact continue the pattern of losing.
Thats fine, think what you want, all have their opinion.
I think its going to be hard to lose this year, unless other teams are just that much better than theyve been.
We have been close, it wont take a lot to be just that much better.

Things are in motion to address our weaknesses, and new players in numbers, with talent are as well, like at wide out, and depth at RB.

Special teams are being addressed.
Some of our younger guys have gained some experience, and should be better this year.

Will it be enough?
I think so, now, is that rabid enough for you?

Thats fine, think what you want, all have their opinion.
I think its going to be hard to lose this year, unless other teams are just that much better than theyve been.
We have been close, it wont take a lot to be just that much better.

Things are in motion to address our weaknesses, and new players in numbers, with talent are as well, like at wide out, and depth at RB.

Special teams are being addressed.
Some of our younger guys have gained some experience, and should be better this year.

Will it be enough?
I think so, now, is that rabid enough for you?
I'll take improvement and a bowl game. I want to see fundamentally sound team football. A youthful team should be better at the end of the season than it is in the beginning.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back