• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Interesting article about penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.
from the chart, it seems like the most high octane offenses are more penalized.....oregon, t a&m, ucla, baylor, tex tech, miami, fla st, the teams that are the top of the total offensive stats for 2012....not sure what you're trying to do with this.....put in another subtle jab at nebr.....but according to the chart(& yeah we do need to cut down on penalties) the difference of 1.38, or essentially ONE MORE PENALTY a game, between us & Oh St isn't that earth shaking......

Yes, B, once again the Cynic of HM has started a thread designed to take swipe at the coaches, while appearing to just post information.

Yes, B, once again the Cynic of HM has started a thread designed to take swipe at the coaches, while appearing to just post information.

LOL, I certainly have you trained like Pavlov's critters. Not only don't I have to say something, i don't even have to imply, infer, or insinuate it, and you guys just know it to be true. I suspect you know deep inside.....

PS--I suppose I should be flattered

Last edited:
You two (GFOA & SoCal) need to stop the personal snipping....and its not just in this thread....if you have an issue take it to a PM and sort it out there...

Thanks

RR

Last edited:
Given the system we run, offensively and defensively, penalties are gonna happen.

Take away the turnovers, and we beat UCLA, and possibly Georgia in 2012.

Fix the tackling issues and we might have been undefeated.

IMO, fixing the penalties is third priority at best.

Given the system we run, offensively and defensively, penalties are gonna happen.

Please expound.

LOL, I certainly have you trained like Pavlov's critters. Not only don't I have to say something, i don't even have to imply, refer, or insinuate it, and you guys just know it to be true. I suspect you know deep inside.....

PS--I suppose I should be flattered

Oh, never-mind... I thought you said flattened. :stickouttongue:

Big "D"zasker;1367163 said:

Please expound.

Offensively we run a lot of plays out on the perimeter and also we pass a lot both of which have a higher percentage of penalties, like holding and clipping. Furthermore, the high octane pace almost guarantees more false starts and illegal formation penalties.

Defensively, our defensive backs are taught to jam receivers and be aggressive which means more defensive pass interference. Basically, Bo has set up his system to eliminate short passes and force quarterbacks to beat them with the deep throws (Aaron Murray was able to put deep passes exactly where they needed to be and thus torch our defense repeatedly).

Offensively we run a lot of plays out on the perimeter and also we pass a lot both of which have a higher percentage of penalties, like holding and clipping. Furthermore, the high octane pace almost guarantees more false starts and illegal formation penalties.

Defensively, our defensive backs are taught to jam receivers and be aggressive which means more defensive pass interference. Basically, Bo has set up his system to eliminate short passes and force quarterbacks to beat them with the deep throws (Aaron Murray was able to put deep passes exactly where they needed to be and thus torch our defense repeatedly).

They do? According to the official 2012 statistics they rushed the ball 662 times and threw 378 times for a 63.7% to 36.3% rush to pass ratio...not exactly Air Coryell type numbers. Also, when I think of high octane paced offenses Oregon and OU come to mind - not sure if NU is in that category yet.

They are? Are you replaying game tape from 2009 and 2010?

Last edited:

agree with you totally, especially offensively, a faster ran offense, more plays dictates more penalties overall (&we did have too many), but also guys are spread out all over the field, going fast & can jump easier......probably why the high scoring/yardage offenses like baylor/oregon are also near the top of the penalties.....visually, if a team is stacked in close running a lot of pitch plays, RB up the middle, taking their time, they wouldn't seem to have the perpencity to jump as much......

it would be interesting, & I have no facts/research on it, but I'd bet a pretty good % of our penalties would be linemen jumping as we're going fast, Tmart shouting play changes in crowd noise, etc......

Does that 36% take into account sacks and scrambles?
In any case Martinez and Beck are on record as saying they want to pass more this year. They said basically the same thing last fall as well. That's going to mean more penalties.

Just because our defensive backs want as good at jamming receivers this year doesn't mean it's not what they were trying to do. If I remember correctly, Wisconsin only ran 5 pass plays in the title game. By contrast Oklahoma and Texas passed probably 40 times each in the 2009-2010 title games. I'm not going to find the link but I remember reading The Braska had far more pass interference penalties than any other Big 10 team, and Bo is on record as saying that while he doesn't condone the penalties, he understands that our aggressive style of play is going to mean that the ref's will call more defensive pass interference.

In any event, my main point was that we are always going to have more penalties than a team like Alabama because of the spread offense we run as opposed to the plodding, power-run based offense Alabama runs.

In any event, my main point was that we are always going to have more penalties than a team like Alabama because of the spread offense we run as opposed to the plodding, power-run based offense Alabama runs.

Just curious, is that the same description you would give for the last 3 Nebraska NC teams? I don't think our past offenses were plodding, nor do I see Bama that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back