• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Illinois Week Practice Thread: 5 October Depart For Illinois

Kaleb Henry

@iKalebHenry

Matt Rhule Monday presser ahead of Illinois

-DeShon Singleton out this Friday and for an extended period of time
-Luke Reimer out of the hospital and won’t play this week but expected to be back
-Reimer was hospitalized with “nothing football related” but Rhule doesn’t want to dive into too much personal health information without him
-Friday game condenses practice schedule with guys coming in tonight instead of being off today
-“We didn’t play very well. We didn’t play good enough”
-“I want a winning mindset (from the whole team)”
-The defense needs to learn this is a defensive team
-Wants to see guys have the confidence they can show up and “wreck a game”
-Cam Lenhardt may be back this week
-Injuries have moved a few guys around
-“We were hesitant in the way that we played”
-“My job is to teach them how to win”
-Feels “very confident” with Heinrich Haarberg as starting QB but feels that way with Jeff Sims as well
-Had a big practice (full pads) yesterday and Sims looked really good
-Offensive identity is running the ball, but that doesn’t mean that’s all the will do depending on how a game is going
-Gotta do a better job of cutting guys loose to avoid hesitancy
-Malachai Coleman was out Saturday after a hit in practice but expected to play beyond the four game redshirt limit
-Reaction to Saturday better be “we can’t let that happen again”
-“Ridiculous what happened on Saturday”
-There’s a standard of performance to attack everything
-Only crime is to accept losing
-Have played more coverage and four man rush the last two games instead of sending added pressure
-Have to have the ability to get pressure with four
-Tristan Alvano “is just like the rest of us” in needing to perform better
-“I know (Alvano) can do it”
-Young WRs are on the precipice of getting in the field more
-“I’ll do whatever it takes to win” in regards to potentially playing a two QB system
-Saturday night games are better because you can watch other games but for Fridays you have to watch As The World Turns
-A lot of preparation for Illinois despite the short week
-No thoughts to ban social media or get guys to stay off but it’s up to each person to decide what to pay attention to
-A great suggestion from @MattMcMedia on showing examples of what guys do a good job attacking the way the coaches want
-Tommi Hill is one of those guys for his commitment to being on the field and not backing down
-“Give me a bunch of guys like that”
-Tonight gonna show them last night “because last night was winning football”

Tommi Hill. MR loves him. The brunt of some "fans" wrath last year is a key guy under this staff. I thought he'd probably enter the portal after last season. The kid is showing some grit.
That was a good story. I also liked how Rhule used it with the team and what he's going to do with last night's practice film tonight.

He wants something specific from the team which could easily be vague so he shows them what it looks like, has them practice it, then shows them again. That's how you coach.

Now does he ask as much from his staff as he does of his players: Looking at you OC and O-line coaches......

Who ever called the "jump play" on 4th down should be running stadium steps today........ cause that is old school Husker!

Tommi Hill. MR loves him. The brunt of some "fans" wrath last year is a key guy under this staff. I thought he'd probably enter the portal after last season. The kid is showing some grit.
I hear Tommi's a guy with tremendous talent, I get hyped to see it. Unfortunately, I will see him touch the ball and fumble a kickoff return. Or out of position with on a receiver for a big reception. Don't know if I am missing the big plays that he makes or just buying into the hype too much that my expectation are sky high. I would love for his love from the coaches would match my expectation and show on the field.

Now does he ask as much from his staff as he does of his players: Looking at you OC and O-line coaches......

Who ever called the "jump play" on 4th down should be running stadium steps today........ cause that is old school Husker!
From what I've read no body called a jump play, Haarberg came up with that on his own, and has said if there was one play he wanted back that was it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back