• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Illinois Thoughts.....Answer, Answer, Answer......

NUFootballTim

Scout Team
15 Year Member
3 in a row. NU didn't forget what they did the past 2 games and this makes 3 Ws in a row! :banana::banana::banana:

The team is playing well and I hope it continues. What stood out to me the most in this game was.......Nu's ability to Answer. up 14, Ill rattled off 8 in a row to cut the lead to 6. Crowd was on their feet and a huge wave of momentum was on IL's side. Instead of going into complete epic meltdown mode, NU remained calm and had an answer. 3 times NU grew a sizeable lead and was able to fight off a flurry of points from IL with an answer of their own. that was HUGE and should pay tremendous dividends for the psyche of the team going forward.

Another thing I find encouraging is that the team appears to be learning that one guy doesn't have to do it all. Each player had their moments and there was significant contribution from a lot of key players at pivotal points in the game.

great win for NU and this team appears to be coming together. keep it up boys.

The big 4 freshmen are all contributing, today was big games from Watson and Hammond but MJ and MiVeigh had their moments too. White is a mature player who doesn't rattle much. Shavon was clutch. To me Webster is so critical. He went from a guy who mostly looked like a nervous wreck/turnover machine to getting consistently to the hoop. Now his jumper has started to fall. When he was on the bench I found myself thinking he needed to be back in. Way to go Tai. The team feels really deep right now.

The way this team is playing it seems like there is a real chance at the post season. The next four games are tough, particularly Michigan St and Maryland. After that it seems like NU should be competitive in all the rest of the games (counting on Purdue at Pinnacle helping our chances), 7 of them being against teams they really could beat. If NU goes 5-7 the rest of the way that sends them into the B1G tournament with a winning record and a real chance at the NIT. I hope they do even better than that, thought getting to the NCAA will be a chore. Even thinking about post season is a big step from where most of us were seeing the season unfold just a few short games ago.

It will also be kind of nice to get the Maverick fans off the Husker board and back to reality with the UNO is better than Nebraska talk. NU is coming off a 3 game B1G win streak with an average margin of victory of 23. Really exciting.

Last edited:

The big 4 freshmen are all contributing, today was big games from Watson and Hammond but MJ and MiVeigh had their moments too. White is a mature player who doesn't rattle much. Shavon was clutch. To me Webster is so critical. He went from a guy who mostly looked like a nervous wreck/turnover machine to getting consistently to the hoop. Now his jumper has started to fall. When he was on the bench I found myself thinking he needed to be back in. Way to go Tai. The team feels really deep right now.

The way this team is playing it seems like there is a real chance at the post season. The next four games are tough, particularly Michigan St and Maryland. After that it seems like NU should be competitive in all the rest of the games (counting on Purdue at Pinnacle helping our chances), 7 of them being against teams they really could beat. If NU goes 5-7 the rest of the way that sends them into the B1G tournament with a winning record and a real chance at the NIT. I hope they do even better than that, thought getting to the NCAA will be a chore. Even thinking about post season is a big step from where most of us were seeing the season unfold just a few short games ago.

It will also be kind of nice to get the Maverick fans off the Husker board and back to reality with the UNO is better than Nebraska talk. NU is coming off a 3 game B1G win streak with an average margin of victory of 23. Really exciting.

Obviously you meant Morrow, not Hammond. What is everyones thoughts on Hammond? Lost cause? He seems overmatched in conference both mentally and physically. I wonder if he will be back next year.

Obviously you meant Morrow, not Hammond. What is everyones thoughts on Hammond? Lost cause? He seems overmatched in conference both mentally and physically. I wonder if he will be back next year.

Going from Morrow/Jacobsen to him is a huge drop off at the moment. hate to bust on the guy but I don't see a lot of potential in his game. I'm sure there are things that he could definitely do to improve his game, but the intangibles that you'd expect to see at this stage in the game, especially from a guy who was a fairly "big" pickup for TMiles coming out of highschool, just aren't there.

Hopefully he sticks with it, keeps practicing hard, works on the things he needs to work on, and gets himself in the game. NU would certainly benefit from him playing at a high level.

3 in a row. NU didn't forget what they did the past 2 games and this makes 3 Ws in a row! :banana::banana::banana:

The team is playing well and I hope it continues. What stood out to me the most in this game was.......Nu's ability to Answer. up 14, Ill rattled off 8 in a row to cut the lead to 6. Crowd was on their feet and a huge wave of momentum was on IL's side. Instead of going into complete epic meltdown mode, NU remained calm and had an answer. 3 times NU grew a sizeable lead and was able to fight off a flurry of points from IL with an answer of their own. that was HUGE and should pay tremendous dividends for the psyche of the team going forward.

Another thing I find encouraging is that the team appears to be learning that one guy doesn't have to do it all. Each player had their moments and there was significant contribution from a lot of key players at pivotal points in the game.

great win for NU and this team appears to be coming together. keep it up boys.

So true. Last season and early part of this season it looked like 1 player and 4 run-arounds. They are looking like a team as of late.

Watched the game this morning! NUFootballTim, I thought the same thing about one guy not having to do it all. This is so important for a number of reasons. Spreading the ball around keeps everyone involved and forces the defense to guard everyone. The big advantage I saw about it in the Illinois game was how it got guys easy offensive rebounds. You could see the defense unable to keep up with the ball movement and add the different Huskers penetrating, left guys open for some easy buckets.

I'm not sure what the staff did to help Webster with the mental aspect, but he is a perfect example of sticking with a guy and developing him. He focused on his defense last year and he seems relaxed on the offensive end. Not forcing things, but creating and taking his shot when it is there.

Morrow and Watson seemed on top of their game. A little motivation to beat the home state school? Watson has slowed down just enough to be in control and it is paying off. He is getting more confident in his shot. Morrow is beast inside and works his tail off. I am a little concerned how he has no regard for his body and goes after the ball. He landed pretty awkwardly a couple times as he came down in this game.

I love when McVeigh gets the ball at the high post. I hadn't seen that little runner from him in the past. He seems to have a good feel for contact and where he should go. He is going to be a good one, folks!!

Shields and White seem to have the perfect attitude in dealing with the freshmen. They may not be vocal leaders, but I saw several instances of giving one on one advice during the game. The youngsters seem to pay attention when they talk with them.

The upcoming schedule will be tough!! I don't expect wins, but want to see the team compete and continue the behaviors that have contributed to this win streak. I was impressed with how the team handled big buckets by Illinois. They didn't run down out of control. The Huskers let the fans go crazy and came down in control and responded. Keep it up boys!!

.....Answer, Answer, Answer......

Or as I read somewhere else:

I like how NU responded after Illinois punched to start the half. Lead back up to 14. Illinois counters, down to 5...

Punch-counter punch. Punch-counter punch. Punch-counter punch. Punch-counter punch.

:catfight:

Last edited:
I can't help but ponder the inevitable criticism that will follow after losses to MSU, Michigan, Purdue, and Maryland.

We're improving, but is it enough to compete against the best teams in conference? Unlikely this year, but next year is looking more and more promising.

I can't help but ponder the inevitable criticism that will follow after losses to MSU, Michigan, Purdue, and Maryland.

We're improving, but is it enough to compete against the best teams in conference? Unlikely this year, but next year is looking more and more promising.
Just ignore them. I get the frustration, but most of the haters aren't really true Nebraska basketball fans to begin with. Anyone who understands the black hole history of our basketball program knows that we need to give Miles some more time. He got us back to the NCAA tournament and has recruited about as well as you can here.

Furthermore, Eichorst doesn't have the political capital to sack a popular coach, especially another Osborne hire. If Riley starts rattling off big seasons, he may get that capital back. We could lose out and Eichorst wouldn't make a change. Eichorst is a fan of Miles anyway so it's a moot point.

NavyWarrant - you are on point! Good take!

I think the OP said it best....'answer'. In the past, we didn't have a response to a scoring drought. Webster, Watson, and White answered....on the road even! Especially Watson.

I wouldn't discount our chances of winning a couple of those games.

What a breath of fresh air the past three games have been. Each game there is obvious improvement all across the board. Watson, Morrow, Webster have all stepped up. White, Shields and Parker are very consistent game in, game out. Much better ball movement, inside then outside. Lots of assists. We even changed defenses and ran some set plays after times out. Each day in every way we are getting better and better. The chemistry is there, all we need is a 6-10+ in the middle.

I wouldn't discount our chances of winning a couple of those games.

Well, the last three were against pretty bad teams. It's difficult to judge how much we've improved, and the next four games include some of the top ranked teams in the country. I won't discount the chance of a win, but I'm also not going to be among those who have been so negative about Miles earlier in the season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back