• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If we win a championship

Now you have lost touch with reality.

Michigan - 10-3 ranked 11th in country in final coaches poll.

Nebraska 6-7 and unranked.

Michigan 10-3 and ranked 10th in the final coaches poll.

Nebraska 9-4 and unranked in the final coaches poll. Blowout losses to tOSU, Iowa and Tennessee.

Right now a Riley comparison to Harbaugh isn't close. But, keep lying to yourself if thats what it takes.

Comparing records is nice, but it also helps if we also compare players. Wasn't 20 of Michigan's top 22 players seniors. Experience can be a big factor when talking records. Not saying Harbaugh isn't good, but let's see how things go with all those seniors gone.

Nebraska 9-4 and unranked in the final coaches poll. Blowout losses to tOSU, Iowa and Tennessee.

Right now a Riley comparison to Harbaugh isn't close. But, keep lying to yourself it thats what it takes.

You brought up Harbaugh, not me. The thread is about championships. All you've demonstrated is that Harbaugh couldn't win his division with top 10 talent. I mean, his upperclassmen were from recruiting classes ranked in the single digits 2 years running and he could only come up with one more win than the guy you perpetually knock? I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but situations are different. I understand, though, that your hatred of Riley forces you to ignore those nuances.

Just a theory on my part, but Riley mostly brought guys he knew well, to start his tenure at NU. I think Eichorst knew this was going to be a tough sell to the players when letting Bo go. Therefore, Riley knew it too. We all knew it. So you have to trust the staff you are bringing to be able to handle young people in a bad situation like this. It was a hornets nest! The culture was toxic. They needed maturity in the room.
I am sure MR was hopeful that guys like Banker could also get it done on the field. He didn't and MR has made changes as he has felt they were needed. As opportunities have opened up it is clear that he is going younger and with top notch recruiters. It's a process. He has seen the need for changes and made them. Seems like steady leadership to me. This was a 4-5 year fix for anyone coming in, IMO.
You can compare Riley to Harbaugh, sure. That's fair. Let's see if the quick fix Michigan went for is something that continues to grow and be sustained. Will Harbaugh wear out his welcome? IDK. He has a history of doing so.
I am hopeful for a steady and a more lasting rebuild of our program. The current NU staff appears to have figured out how to recruit to Lincoln. They are certainly willing to put in the work. I am hopeful that they eventually build the depth needed to contend. Can they coach to that level? We will see.

Agree on all. *** has made the point many times that some issues with coaches who are gone were thought to be OSU issues. Once at NU, some were revealed to be individual issues. Now we have better coaches and recruiters. I'm glad Riley isn't too stubborn to make these changes and is constantly looking to improve. Some HCs don't possess that quality.

You brought up Harbaugh, not me. The thread is about championships. All you've demonstrated is that Harbaugh couldn't win his division with top 10 talent. I mean, his upperclassmen were from recruiting classes ranked in the single digits 2 years running and he could only come up with one more win than the guy you perpetually knock? I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but situations are different. I understand, though, that your hatred of Riley forces you to ignore those nuances.
While Michigan hasn't beaten tOSU or PSU for a division crown, Riley can't even handle Iowa straight up. I don't hate Riley, I just think he was poorly prepared or informed what it would take to win in the B1G.

Right now a Riley comparison to Harbaugh isn't close. But, keep lying to yourself if thats what it takes.

You are the one who said, and I quote, "why not look at Harbaugh..."

C

I think that Michigan lost to Iowa last year as well.
How did Michigan do against Colorado, Wisconsin and Penn St? Give up fellas, you aren't going to be able to favorably compare Harbaugh/Michigan to Riley/Nebraska. It's not close since the two coaches were hired.

How did Michigan do against Colorado, Wisconsin and Penn St? Give up fellas, you aren't going to be able to favorably compare Harbaugh/Michigan to Riley/Nebraska. It's not close since the two coaches were hired.

Again how about we compare the players the coaches had to work with.

Now how many players did Nebraska put in the 2017 NFL draft.

Michigan had 16 players taken in the 2017 NFL draft.

If/when it happens, I'd like to think it'll be from sound football on both side of the ball. I'd like to think that by 2019 Diaco will have us as a top 10 defense. The offense ought to be humming right along as well. We gotta eliminate the shoot yourself in the foot problems that have plagued us for so long.

Again how about we compare the players the coaches had to work with.

Now how many players did Nebraska put in the 2017 NFL draft.

Michigan had 16 players taken in the 2017 NFL draft.
You couldn't tell there was much talent on the 2014 Wolverine team coached by Hoyke. Nor do I give him much credit for the 14 recruiting class that had some great recruits since he was fired in early December. What is telling however is if you believe the recruiting guru's that say Michigan is bringing even better talent than has graduated.

Last edited:

Then why did you being Jimmy boy up?

C

Look at the roster that Harbaugh walked into. Hoke sucked at a lot of things, but recruiting wasn't one of them. Harbaugh was able to install his own offense from day one with talented players.

You couldn't tell there was much talent on the 2014 Wolverine team coached by Hoyke. Nor do I give him much credit for the 14 recruiting class that had some great recruits since he was fired in early December. What is telling however is if you believe the recruiting guru's that say Michigan is bringing even better talent than has graduated.

You missed the point, I'm just not sure if it was on accident or on purpose.

You want to compare Harbaugh and Riley on their records while ignoring many other factors. When you cherry pick certain numbers to support your position while ignoring the others it shows you actually have no position to support.

Let's look at some other factors.

Michigan was getting their butt handed to them before Harbaugh, while at Nebraska some players thought we should be happy with 9 wins and not complain. Clearly Harbaugh was in a much better position when it came to the players buying in to his system.

Michigan had a senior laden roster, some might say too many seniors. So again he has the edge when it comes to maturity.

Finally we go back to that 2017 NFL draft and see how many more players Harbaugh had drafted then Riley.

I'm not going to compare Harbaugh and Riley, because there are way too many differences in their teams. But I will say this. Harbaugh may turn out to be a great coach at Michigan, but with everything he had going for him this year, some may say he under achieved. He may never see the buy in, maturity, and player quality that he had this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back