• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I read a Danielle Steele book!

One of my someday retirement reads... I bought it about twenty years ago and perused a few chapters... It came out around the time of the AIM Feds Wounded Knee standoff. I was in Junior High when the AIM situation occurred. 1972 or 1973 IIRC.

I did visit Wounded Knee about twenty years ago, however. I bought a dream catcher from some kids and my wife has given me crap about that ever since.
It’s intense

It’s intense
Yes, I have read enough to know...

I also want to read "Cadillac Desert" (another one I only perused a few chapters)... there is a long discussion on the Fort Berthold reservation and it getting inundated by construction of Missouri River (Pick-Sloan) dams. The tribal leader was extremely angry. Given my somewhat proximity to that reservation and oil and gas development on it, it will be interesting to go back and read that book. And there are some interesting legal issues going on regarding mineral rights on submerged lands. Not sure what they are, but they have limited drilling in one (but not most) areas.

Last edited:
Yes, I have read enough to know...

I also want to read "Cadillac Desert" (another one I only perused a few chapters)... there is a long discussion on the Fort Berthold reservation and it getting inundated by construction of Missouri River (Pick-Sloan) dams. The tribal leader was extremely angry. Given my somewhat proximity to that reservation and oil and gas development on it, it will be interesting to go back and read that book. And there are some interesting legal issues going on regarding mineral rights on submerged lands. Not sure what they are, but they have limited drilling in one (but not most) areas.
I’ll put that on my list for sure

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee and Empire of the Summer Moon are the two premier Indian books for those who wondered what happened to the Indians. Empire is about the Comanches who were judged by many to be the best fighters of any tribe. Both are nonfiction.

Cadillac Desert is particularly important now since California is coming face to face with the knowledge that they are running out of water. It will cause you to call to mind the wonderful Jack Nicholson Faye Dunaway movie - Chinatown. It also is nonfiction.

Reading Willie Nelson’s book. it’s a long story. it’s my life

what a great man

Danielle Steele is the most published living author on earth and among the top 7 or 8 most translated authors ever (Agatha Christie being the most translated and Jules Verne being the second most translated). She has had nine kids, five marriages (one to an incarcerated prisoner that didn't last long), has houses on at least two continents (including the impressive Spreckles mansion in CA), apparently works on about five books at a time (she's published a huge number - maybe 150 or more), places every new book she publishes on the NYT best selling book list, and never has received a favorable review from almost any reviewer even though she has sold nearly a billion copies of her books.

I thought I should try one so checked out from my local library one called Moral Compass. It's 275 pages and took about three hours to read (and I am not a particuarly fast reader. It has good guys, bad guys, sex crime, transparent problems and solutions, an 8th grade vocabulary, and all in all, not a great literary triumph.

But its the kind of book that is most read around the world, so I urge evryone to pick one up at your library and try it. Worth doing.
For all the times that my sanity, as well as my manhood have been questioned based on the music I listen to, for those of you who enjoy reading, read whatever you like. Don't be afraid to try new material. If you like it, continue to read that writing style. If not, move on to something else, or go back to the style you do like.

Don't let anyone choose for you what you like. :)

I know, I'm a party pooper.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back