• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"I made some mistakes" HCMR

Asking for a coaching change after two games is downright funny. I have no words. Apparently, folks who've never played or coached line don't understand that continuity is a real thing. Continuity is teaching. Continuity in communication. Continuity in building on the foundation that is built in the off-season.

All of this after two games? God help us all.

That's how the majority of football experts judge a coaching staff. After 2 games. In case you're wondering, Nick Saban is probably getting fired today.

That's how the majority of football experts judge a coaching staff. After 2 games. In case you're wondering, Nick Saban is probably getting fired today.
Imagine if FSU got rid of Mike Norvell after his 1st season (or even 2nd season) and the 3 and 5 wins he got respectively (with a team loaded with 4* talent)?

What a FAILURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should have canned his coaches right after the 2nd game.

Last edited:
The true mistake is the SAME one that another coach is currently making... only thinking of Logan Smothers as a back-up QB... Again... even after his great performance the week before (3 TDS, with over 225 yards)... Dick Rod decides to play Zion Webb against Coastal Carolina... and Webb sucks for 3 Qs. Logan comes in the 4th Q and Jacksonville St immediately start to move the ball and scores, and nearly does again.

Smothers should have been given a legit chance to play QB at our school.

Last edited:
Imagine if FSU got rid of Mike Norvell after his 1st season (or even 2nd season) and the 3 and 5 wins he got respectively (with a team loaded with 4* talent)?

What a FAILURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should have canned his coaches right after the 2nd game.

He's one of the first names that popped in my head when these discussions started about Rhule being terrible. Another name going in the other direction is Kevin Sumlin. Remember when he was the next great coach after his start at A&M? He must have a few titles by now, right?

He's one of the first names that popped in my head when these discussions started about Rhule being terrible. Another name going in the other direction is Kevin Sumlin. Remember when he was the next great coach after his start at A&M? He must have a few titles by now, right?
I heard that Sumlin stepped back to give everyone else a head start. Total BDE move.

Asking for a coaching change after two games is downright funny. I have no words. Apparently, folks who've never played or coached line don't understand that continuity is a real thing. Continuity is teaching. Continuity in communication. Continuity in building on the foundation that is built in the off-season.

All of this after two games? God help us all.

I'm just thankful Alberts knows what football is all about.

I am astounded that the same fan base that during the off-season thought Rhule would be the savior has already given up on him after two games. We lost two games in which we were the underdog. This isn't the end of the world. Teams frequently can and do get better as the season goes along. Have some patience. Let's see how the next few games go and then we can start to form some judgments.

I am astounded that the same fan base that during the off-season thought Rhule would be the savior has already given up on him after two games. We lost two games in which we were the underdog. This isn't the end of the world. Teams frequently can and do get better as the season goes along. Have some patience. Let's see how the next few games go and then we can start to form some judgments.
No, we have to lose the turnover battle by three every game.
Period

I am a Cornhusker fan.

I am asking HCMR to do a good job of running the program.
His hires for defense and ST as I have said look to be a real improvement from where we were before.

My previous post points out that he has difficult decisions as the HC/CEO of the Cornhuskers about his offensive plan for 2023 which I don't think he was ready for this early in the season but as HC he has to face or let the season get away from him.

Hence my salesman analogy. Does he have the CEO skills to manage the business, make tough, unexpected decisions about people he hired (recruited) and "cut his losses" or in this case revise his plans, perhaps even radically and move forward to his goal of winning as the Cornhusker coach. Because winning, not "rebuilding" is truly his goal.

And whether I or any one else am a "fan" of HCMR is immaterial, he will be judged on making good decisions and WINNING. End of story.

GBR
What we all have to keep in mind (and it's difficult, I know because I lose sight of it too) is that none of us should have expected significant progress by game two of year one. Our expectation of going to a bowl game should be year two, not year one. Our expectation of a 9+ win season should be year three, not year two. That's Rhule's established pattern.

The argument that we should be able to break that pattern because we had better talent than when he took over Temple and Baylor doesn't wash with me. This insideous habit of beating ourselves has been ongoing for years, even previous to the Frost era. That more than offsets the alleged better talent for me because mindset can't be overcome by watching game film.

I agree, Rhule made a serious error in judgement regarding Sims. There's little to be done about it now except start looking for his replacement for next season.

And those that haven't given up are at least beginning to hedge their bets. It's the first step in the eventual moving the goalposts and claiming "FUUUUUUURRRRRSSSSTTTT!!!"

19ynj9.jpg

What we all have to keep in mind (and it's difficult, I know because I lose sight of it too) is that none of us should have expected significant progress by game two of year one. Our expectation of going to a bowl game should be year two, not year one. Our expectation of a 9+ win season should be year three, not year two. That's Rhule's established pattern.

The argument that we should be able to break that pattern because we had better talent than when he took over Temple and Baylor doesn't wash with me. This insideous habit of beating ourselves has been ongoing for years, even previous to the Frost era. That more than offsets the alleged better talent for me because mindset can't be overcome by watching game film.

I agree, Rhule made a serious error in judgement regarding Sims. There's little to be done about it now except start looking for his replacement for next season.
It does with me. Lets see what we look like at zero turnover advantage.
I honestly don't know what that looks like. The coaches don't know, the players don't know.

I think that we can all agree that the 2023 Huskers have a very good defense and above average to good ST.
What holds back this team from winning is an abysmal offense.

All people make mistakes in judgement, and HCMR needs to face his as this season is not over if he does.
-Mistake #1: "Sims is an NFL QB". DONU can not win, even survive with Sims playing QB as he has continued to live up to his career reputation as a turnover machine. Regardless of how much "better" he is than any of the other 4 QB's on our roster, it is a mistake for HCMR to hitch this season to Sims, it must stop now. Whether HCMR is the coach we thought he was, a superior coach will hinge on his courage to make this decision.

-Mistake #2: "Raiola is the O-line coach I was waiting for". Our o-line has two problems: a) their has been now development under Raiola, and b) we continue to play people out of position (Corcoran at the most obvious). If the season is to be salvaged, a new O-line coach has to be hired now, not next year. Trev needs to find the money to poach one (I like the Washington State coach: See last nights game) and do it now.

-Mistake #3 Failure to develop the QB room.
That there could be a problem with Sims at Qb should NOT have been a surprise to HCMR, his record at GT was there to see and they watch him practice, so his staring down WR should not have been unknown to the staff. Thus, HCMR should have had a back up plan from amongst his 4 QB's on campus of what he was going to due if Sims was unsuccessful (or hurt). You can't tell me that an offense could not be fashioned around Harrberg, Purdy, Woche or Longval that would be sound if bland but most importantly cut way down on turnovers.

So, after a mere two games HCMR is at a fork in the road.

Acknowledge his mistakes, act aggressively to correct them, and DONU has the chance for a winning season and bowl game.

Or, continue with the current plan and statistically at the current rate of turnovers, a winning season is impossible.

GBR
This is year one of a coaching transition.

There were going to be bumps in the road … The transition of the QB room has been emblematic of a coaching transition … our top two QBs from last year would have been solid additions to this year’s version of our Huskers.

I do NOT believe that Rhule ran off either CT or LS … both left because they felt like Sims coming in had a leg up as the starting QB. Rhule stated publicly and privately that he’d welcome them back after they entered the transfer portal.

LS is sharing snaps at Jacksonville State with Zion Webb for a 2-1 team that beat UTEP and lost a close one to Coastal Carolina. He’s got slightly better passing stats and is third on the team in rushing.

CT is 43 for 67 with 3 INTs with a 1-1 record including a loss to Ohio (not tOSU). He has minimal rushing stats. For reference Sims has 20 for 34 with 4 INTs.

It’s a whole new offense for everyone, not just Sims. While there’s no doubt we could be better at QB … it’s surprising that some here don’t think there wasn’t going to be some fits and starts. If CT and/or LS were still here I believe they would’ve still been backups, but Sims might’ve had a shorter leash.

I absolutely positively disagree with your take on the OLine … our depth is poor with two true freshmen in 2-deep backup roles. We are playing a Guard out of position at Left Tackle. Our captain 5-year senior is playing poorly at LG. I would argue that we’ve seen improvement with BB. Nouili and Lutovsky have been solid as well as Scott at Center. Rhule is close to the OLine and closely managing that. Our OLine is better than last year, and we need several years of good recruiting and good development here.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back