• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"I made some mistakes" HCMR

HuskerSuperGenius

Scout Team
5 Year Member
I think that we can all agree that the 2023 Huskers have a very good defense and above average to good ST.
What holds back this team from winning is an abysmal offense.

All people make mistakes in judgement, and HCMR needs to face his as this season is not over if he does.
-Mistake #1: "Sims is an NFL QB". DONU can not win, even survive with Sims playing QB as he has continued to live up to his career reputation as a turnover machine. Regardless of how much "better" he is than any of the other 4 QB's on our roster, it is a mistake for HCMR to hitch this season to Sims, it must stop now. Whether HCMR is the coach we thought he was, a superior coach will hinge on his courage to make this decision.

-Mistake #2: "Raiola is the O-line coach I was waiting for". Our o-line has two problems: a) their has been now development under Raiola, and b) we continue to play people out of position (Corcoran at the most obvious). If the season is to be salvaged, a new O-line coach has to be hired now, not next year. Trev needs to find the money to poach one (I like the Washington State coach: See last nights game) and do it now.

-Mistake #3 Failure to develop the QB room.
That there could be a problem with Sims at Qb should NOT have been a surprise to HCMR, his record at GT was there to see and they watch him practice, so his staring down WR should not have been unknown to the staff. Thus, HCMR should have had a back up plan from amongst his 4 QB's on campus of what he was going to due if Sims was unsuccessful (or hurt). You can't tell me that an offense could not be fashioned around Harrberg, Purdy, Woche or Longval that would be sound if bland but most importantly cut way down on turnovers.

So, after a mere two games HCMR is at a fork in the road.

Acknowledge his mistakes, act aggressively to correct them, and DONU has the chance for a winning season and bowl game.

Or, continue with the current plan and statistically at the current rate of turnovers, a winning season is impossible.

GBR

Casey Thompson should have been the starter at Nebraska. Rhule should have done everything in his power to keep him. Did Sims even start at Georgia tech last year?

Casey Thompson should have been the starter at Nebraska. Rhule should have done everything in his power to keep him. Did Sims even start at Georgia tech last year?
Do we really know that he didn’t? Yes, I know CT dad has said stuff but I find it hard to believe we let him walk knowing the other 2 on the bench were worse. I heard the dad wanted a starting guarantee? That’s what AM demanded of SF. The inmates can’t run the asylum.

I think that we can all agree that the 2023 Huskers have a very good defense and above average to good ST.

All people make mistakes in judgement, and HCMR needs to face his as this season is not over if he does.
-Mistake #1: "Sims is an NFL QB". DONU can not win, even survive with Sims playing QB as he has continued to live up to his career reputation as a turnover machine. Regardless of how much "better" he is than any of the other 4 QB's on our roster, it is a mistake for HCMR to hitch this season to Sims, it must stop now. Whether HCMR is the coach we thought he was, a superior coach will hinge on his courage to make this decision.

-Mistake #2: "Raiola is the O-line coach I was waiting for". Our o-line has two problems: a) their has been now development under Raiola, and b) we continue to play people out of position (Corcoran at the most obvious). If the season is to be salvaged, a new O-line coach has to be hired now, not next year. Trev needs to find the money to poach one (I like the Washington State coach: See last nights game) and do it now.

That there could be a problem with Sims at Qb should NOT have been a surprise to HCMR, his record at GT was there to see and they watch him practice, so his staring down WR should not have been unknown to the staff. Thus, HCMR should have had a back up plan from amongst his 4 QB's on campus of what he was going to due if Sims was unsuccessful (or hurt). You can't tell me that an offense could not be fashioned around Harrberg, Purdy, Woche or Longval that would be sound if bland but most importantly cut way down on turnovers.

Acknowledge his mistakes, act aggressively to correct them, and DONU has the chance for a winning season and bowl game.

Or, continue with the current plan and statistically at the current rate of turnovers, a winning season is impossible.

GBR
I can kind of go along with #1, but it requires an assumption that has not yet been proven, that one of the other two QB’s MUST be better. I’d have to believe they couldn’t make more turnovers than we’ve seen the last two weeks, so I guess I’m onboard with this.

#2 is silly. Fire the line coach and hire another, presumably from another team, during the season? I suppose there is some number that would be so high that a line coach would abandon his team mid season and come here. But I don’t want that coach here. Besides, it wouldn’t change the second part of your observation - playing people out of position on the line. Do you really think we are choosing to do that? We are doing it because we have no alternative. Is this new coach going to bring some players with him to play left tackle? And do you think there would be no disruption mid season to bringing in a new line coach to change things up on our already struggling line? No. The cards are dealt for this game. Ruhle will need to continue to play them out. It kind of begs the question of what our line coach could do with a full cupboard of players playing their natural positions.

#3 presumes a lot. I’ve never spoken to Ruhle and I don’t have any inside information on what went on behind the scenes with Thompson. Therefore, I can’t say he didn’t try to keep him. (It is interesting how Thompson is a lot more popular today than he was as we went through last season.). I also can’t conclude that Ruhle hasn’t made a backup plan. Just because he hasn’t abandoned Simms yet doesn’t mean he hasn’t thought about options. I know he said at his press conference he never considered pulling Simms, but that goes in the category of not believing everything I hear. I suspect that’s more about coach speak and defending his QB than reality. Perhaps I’m wrong.

GBR
1 and 3 kind of go together. If you are going to simplify the offense for one of the other QBs, I'd guess they'll try to simplify it with Sims first, but yes, something has to change. Either change (not wholesale) the offense to what Sims can do or admit that he can't do the minimum you need him to and go with someone else. This is where the QB room is really lacking in that we don't have "the future" QB waiting as an unproven freshman that you go ahead and battle test.

2- Raiola isn't going anywhere. I haven't rewatched the game to really look at the o-line, but watching the live broadcast, it appeared our guards were horrible. If so, is it best to just slide Corcoran to one of the guard spots and start Gottula at LT until TP is healthy? I don't know the answer, but as currently configured, our line routinely gets feasted on. That is a known and consistent outcome so why not change a variable and see the results? Heck, try if for the 1st half at least. The overall game outcome can't be any worse.

I can kind of go along with #1, but it requires an assumption that has not yet been proven, that one of the other two QB’s MUST be better. I’d have to believe they couldn’t make more turnovers than we’ve seen the last two weeks, so I guess I’m onboard with this.

#2 is silly. Fire the line coach and hire another, presumably from another team, during the season? I suppose there is some number that would be so high that a line coach would abandon his team mid season and come here. But I don’t want that coach here. Besides, it wouldn’t change the second part of your observation - playing people out of position on the line. Do you really think we are choosing to do that? We are doing it because we have no alternative. Is this new coach going to bring some players with him to play left tackle? And do you think there would be no disruption mid season to bringing in a new line coach to change things up on our already struggling line? No. The cards are dealt for this game. Ruhle will need to continue to play them out. It kind of begs the question of what our line coach could do with a full cupboard of players playing their natural positions.

#3 presumes a lot. I’ve never spoken to Ruhle and I don’t have any inside information on what went on behind the scenes with Thompson. Therefore, I can’t say he didn’t try to keep him. (It is interesting how Thompson is a lot more popular today than he was as we went through last season.). I also can’t conclude that Ruhle hasn’t made a backup plan. Just because he hasn’t abandoned Simms yet doesn’t mean he hasn’t thought about options. I know he said at his press conference he never considered pulling Simms, but that goes in the category of not believing everything I hear. I suspect that’s more about coach speak and defending his QB than reality. Perhaps I’m wrong.
Nice points. I’m also not sold he is seeing a better backup. No coach would willing keep a worse performing quarterback if he had a reasonable alternative.

#2. Correct. We can’t poach a line coach this time of year. You’d either get someone desperate or have to pay a million a year.

Do we really know that he didn’t? Yes, I know CT dad has said stuff but I find it hard to believe we let him walk knowing the other 2 on the bench were worse. I heard the dad wanted a starting guarantee? That’s what AM demanded of SF. The inmates can’t run the asylum.

My gut tells me you're 100% right on Rhule saying he would have to earn the job. I had also hear Charles was looking for the starting guarantee. It's hard to back someone off of that.

I stopped reading after “pony up money to poach an o-line coach mid season”

I understand folks not thinking our O Line is a strength (it isn't), but to think a change in coach is somehow going to fix years of poor recruiting and development doesn't make sense.

I've seen improvement on the line. No, the tackles have not markedly improved on PP, but they're the same guys. Coaching can't 'fix' everyone.

I understand folks not thinking our O Line is a strength (it isn't), but to think a change in coach is somehow going to fix years of poor recruiting and development doesn't make sense.

I've seen improvement on the line. No, the tackles have not markedly improved on PP, but they're the same guys. Coaching can't 'fix' everyone.
And players have to respond to the coaching. If we have guys that don’t or won’t change, you are exactly right.

And players have to respond to the coaching. If we have guys that don’t or won’t change, you are exactly right.

And with some, they don't have the ability to do what we need them to. I think that's the issue with Corcoran. He's not a tackle. That's not unusual. There are not a huge number of people who can play tackle well no matter what you do as a coach.

GBR
If he does any of that he would have to admit he was wrong.

Carolina Panthers fans.
IMG_1108.jpeg

GBR
I don't think "we all can agree" on anything. I think most believe that this program is dead and will never sniff the top 10 ever again.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back