• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I like coffee with ***

I think he is referring to Nick Hendrich as the OLB but i could be wrong. Speaking of Hendrich where do you see him playing in this system?
I know Jackson Hannah is listed as an OLB on 247 that might be who he is referring to.
I think we recruited both Hannah and Henrich as ILBs, @N2FL may be able to confirm that for us. Snodgrass could move outside but I think they have him slotted for ILB as well. I think both Henrich and Hannah are athletic enough to play outside tho, Hannah has been moved around a lot in high school. DE, OLB, ILB, Safety, he woudl be the most likely candidate in my opinion.

This confused me at first since I knew my other thread went off the rails and was locked. Wondered what kind of superpower you had to post in it.

We closed on by all accounts the #1 kid on our board, Bryce Benhart. To what I think you are getting at, before we did that our OL class was a JUCO stud and 2 developmental high schoolers. We needed that “non diamond in the rough”. We have recruited very well at QB, RB, WR, NG, ILB. We absolutely have to pull in Robinson at DE. Our injuries are an issue there. And as I said in my post a couple days ago, I would get a JUCO DE, and our staff just offered one in Nick Figueroa. So they are thinking along the same lines there that we get thin in a hurry, and let’s create some competition. We have to pull in another DB that is “high caliber” because we lose so many guys back there our depth is going to take a hit. And we do need the elite OLB. Despite us getting the guys I originally mentioned, pile another elite pass rusher up this year, and eventually we will be right there. Who is the 4 star OLB you are referencing that’s committed?

Do you feel that JoJo Domann may grow into that elite level at OLB, or do you think they may move him back to safety with that position looking pretty thin next year?

What if we get position faster? Are we deep enough in the defensive backfield to take the slowest two or three and make them OLBs? Then take the slower OLBs and make them DEs, then we should have depth at OLB & DE, we would just need to bulk up the moved players to handle their new positions.

I believe we are recruiting one as corner and one as safety, so I would probably take both (worst answer ever?). That being said, I really like Starks sticking his nose in things and playing in the box, so i'd lean his way. Especially with how many safeties we lose, and with how Bootle and Jackson are progressing. I think Wright moves to OLB eventually (path that Domann took).

I really liked what I saw from Jamel Starks for the same reasons that you mentioned. He likes to put his hat on you and just seems like a playmaker out there. Agreed on Javin Wright - his size and speed seem a better fit at OLB. Give him two years in the weight room and see how he fills out.

What if we get position faster? Are we deep enough in the defensive backfield to take the slowest two or three and make them OLBs? Then take the slower OLBs and make them DEs, then we should have depth at OLB & DE, we would just need to bulk up the moved players to handle their new positions.

The roster isn't particularly deep at any spot, IMO. As *** mentioned, there will be more attrition, also. Need a full recruiting cycle to really get the roster where they want it as far as a depth standpoint. I'm obviously not in Nebraska and don't have any close ties to the program, but if you look at the roster, you can probably figure out some of the guys that might be leaving next.

As far as getting position faster, you can certainly bump a bigger safety down to ILB or OLB. I don't think you'll see it a ton with the current roster unless you see somebody "outgrowing" their position or there is a clear need to add a bit of depth. Domann is able to slide down this year because you have a good number of upperclassmen at S, but after this year, you're back to being really thin. My concern with Domann at OLB is if he's going to be able to hold up in the run game. He's not that big for an OLB (at least in my mind). You would probably like to see your OLBs in a 3-4 anywhere from 235-250 ... not to say a smaller OLB can't be effective. The size issue also comes into play when you talk about moving a OLB down to DE in a 3-4 ... that's a much bigger jump in a 3-4 Defense than a 4-3 defense.

This confused me at first since I knew my other thread went off the rails and was locked. Wondered what kind of superpower you had to post in it.

We closed on by all accounts the #1 kid on our board, Bryce Benhart. To what I think you are getting at, before we did that our OL class was a JUCO stud and 2 developmental high schoolers. We needed that “non diamond in the rough”. We have recruited very well at QB, RB, WR, NG, ILB. We absolutely have to pull in Robinson at DE. Our injuries are an issue there. And as I said in my post a couple days ago, I would get a JUCO DE, and our staff just offered one in Nick Figueroa. So they are thinking along the same lines there that we get thin in a hurry, and let’s create some competition. We have to pull in another DB that is “high caliber” because we lose so many guys back there our depth is going to take a hit. And we do need the elite OLB. Despite us getting the guys I originally mentioned, pile another elite pass rusher up this year, and eventually we will be right there. Who is the 4 star OLB you are referencing that’s committed?

Thanks ***, I did have some OL concerns until the Bryce commit. I know Cav may not have developed well while at NU but he sure did recruit some talent. Nick Henrich is listed as 4 star and OLB so that is who I was referencing. Is he being projected somewhere else by the staff?

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/nick-henrich-185709

C

We already have S playing OLB with Domann and Gifford. If speed is the issue then we need to look at what is available on the roster at that position and ask why the slower guys are beating out the faster guys. We can stockpile all the speed at OLB we want, doesn't do any good if they aren't seeing the field.

I also forgot to add David Alston to the list at OLB, #1 player in the state of MN who got an offer from WI and stuck with NE. Not to mention Ferguson is heavily involved when healthy.

Do you feel that JoJo Domann may grow into that elite level at OLB, or do you think they may move him back to safety with that position looking pretty thin next year?
I think they have to keep him at OLB. The issue right now is he’s really good against spread teams, so this Illinois game gives Ferguson one more week to get healthy when we will need him against Sparty and Iowa. I think Domann and Ferguson will be outstanding next year if they can stay healthy.

Thanks ***, I did have some OL concerns until the Bryce commit. I know Cav may not have developed well while at NU but he sure did recruit some talent. Nick Henrich is listed as 4 star and OLB so that is who I was referencing. Is he being projected somewhere else by the staff?

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/nick-henrich-185709

C
For as much flack as I have him, he always had one of the highest recruit percentages for our staff. I just don’t think anyone developed under him.

Can you think of any time or any other school that will have had the kind of turnover that DONU will have had in this two year period?
The prediction is for as you said up to 30 scholarship players coming in in 2019 and I have heard mention of up to 20+ preferred walk ons as well.
That would suggest that Scott and his staff will have in essence flipped the entire roster in just two years: OH MY!

Can you comment on the impact of this on growth of the system? Or better said, players knowing what to do with in the system on both sides of the football?

Sipping my coffee and waiting for your answer :)

I think they have to keep him at OLB. The issue right now is he’s really good against spread teams, so this Illinois game gives Ferguson one more week to get healthy when we will need him against Sparty and Iowa. I think Domann and Ferguson will be outstanding next year if they can stay healthy.

Good point on his effectiveness against the spread. His speed and coverage ability is certainly a plus in that aspect. He's a perfect hybrid.

Good point on his effectiveness against the spread. His speed and coverage ability is certainly a plus in that aspect. He's a perfect hybrid.
Yes sir. I will be intrigued what they do with him in S&C during the winter. Do we bulk him up to have him be an every down/team
OLB? Or do we keep his focus on what he’s doing now with success and keep his weight where it is?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back